NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
Mavyboy

Mavyboy will become famous soon enough
Question DEP test

Hello again! It seems I post a topic on this wonderful webpage every day!

I've been thumbing through my START guide and slowly memorizing what I can, I don't leave for RTC until April 8th, so I have a nice chunk of time to work on my knowledge as well as my physical strength.

Can any Sailors out there tell me what material is on the test? I would really like to get everything down and know it like the back of my hand to try and advance in RTC.
Mavyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
Spook

Spook will become famous soon enough

Pretty much the entire start guide will be on the test, memorize the entire thing. What stumped me was. Office ranks, I still passed though. Its not a long test either, so there will be a variety of questions you could get. Passing the DEP test is definitely a must. Then just pass your initial PFA and you're golden.
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Mavyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Pretty much the entire start guide will be on the test, memorize the entire thing. What stumped me was. Office ranks, I still passed though. Its not a long test either, so there will be a variety of questions you could get. Passing the DEP test is definitely a must. Then just pass your initial PFA and you're golden.
excellent, if I have anymore questions about it I will be sure to post them here. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

Almost anything can be on that test. The main things they hit on are the six general orders, rank and recognition, and the chain of command. Even though those are the hot spots, know the whole book. I had a question regarding the les I believe and a question asking the max body fat % of males. There might be a couple questions on ships and stuff but I don't remember any exact questions. But everyone's test are slightly different.

And remember, this does not adv you to e-3, only e-2. A lot of people are mislead. And you also don't know if you pass the dep test till like your fifth or sixth week. It kind of sucks.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
Mavyboy

Alright great responses, thank you!
I understand I can only get e-2 out of it which is better then leaving an e-1!
Old 12-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
NavyPanther

NavyPanther has a spectacular aura about

Not trying to highjack your thread but what does this test mean for someone with college degree going in as an E-3?

ET3 Pizarro

DEP: 20150127 AECF
Ship: 20150304
Boot camp Graduation: 01MAY2015
ET A School Graduation: 17DEC2015 Distinguished Military Graduate
NavyPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
FutureMASailor

FutureMASailor is on a distinguished road

@ NavyPanther one important thing, would be that the START guide is a mental preparation for RTC and the future. I am also entering as an E-3, so the more knowledge you know before hand the less stress you can feel once you are there.

- "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time" -Thomas Edison
FutureMASailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #8
NavyPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMASailor View Post
@ NavyPanther one important thing, would be that the START guide is a mental preparation for RTC and the future. I am also entering as an E-3, so the more knowledge you know before hand the less stress you can feel once you are there.
I think you misunderstood my question. I am not asking because I don't want to learn the start guide or anything like that. I'm not even in DEP yet and know all the ranks and the sailor creed, believe me knowledge is what I seek.

ET3 Pizarro

Old 12-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #9
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyPanther View Post
Not trying to highjack your thread but what does this test mean for someone with college degree going in as an E-3?
For someone who is an e-3 this test means nothing, I don't even think it counts towards your "grade". What it does do is give you an idea of the format for the rest of your tests.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:55 AM   #10
bri13

bri13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyPanther View Post
I know my situation is a little different, but I've got 2 years of college under my belt and will be going in as an E-2. My goal is to pass the DEP test and first PRT and advance to an E-3 while in bootcamp. My recruiter said that this is still possible even though I'm going in higher than an E-1. So, I'm assuming it might be the same way for you, NavyPanther. Not sure though. Just offering up what I understand about the whole process!
bri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:00 AM   #11
MickeyMcD

MickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to behold

If you're entering as an E-2, you can earn E-3 by standing out (in a positive way). RDCs can advance around 10% of their division I believe. However, if you're already an E-3, you cannot advance any further. All you can get out of boot is basically a bravo zulu on your way out the door.
Graduated RTC: 20150529 194/13
MickeyMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
NavyPanther

Thanks that's what I thought, but was curious. I will gladly take a bravo Zulu ;)

ET3 Pizarro