NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
alex.martinez

alex.martinez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Yeah theres no way i will call weekly. This is absolutely stupid. They keep going easier and easier on us at bootcamp making it a complete joke. If the Marines had Rescue Swimming for females then you know where my butt would be.
Agreed. I want hard training.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
alex.martinez

alex.martinez is on a distinguished road

Besides u dont get a phone call every week out in the fleet. Especially on subs.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Kristen

Kristen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.martinez View Post
Besides u dont get a phone call every week out in the fleet. Especially on subs.
Exactly! I feel like this has to be a joke or a misunderstanding. Im calling my recruiter tomorrow to ask him.
"It takes a little courage, and a little self-control. And some grim determination, If you want to reach the goal. It takes a great deal of striving, and a firm and stern-set chin. No matter what the battle, if you really want to win, there's no easy path to glory. There is no road to fame. Life, however we may view it, Is no simple parlor game; But its prizes call for fighting, For endurance and for grit; For a rugged disposition that will not quit."
Navy SEAL Masterchief
Old 02-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

I may disagree with how "soft" a lot of things at RTC have gotten, but I am ok with this one. Talking to people who have recently graduated, the last one had PIR this past Friday, the PT has gotten slack and that is a downfall. I have a wife and a baby at home, I will take advantage of all of the phone calls that I can, once I leave it will be at least 7-9 months before I will be able to live with my girls again. I don't see anything wrong with taking advantage of calls home while we get them, I know that once out in the fleet those phone calls will most likely not be able to be made.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
Kristen

Kristen is on a distinguished road

Well this is all a matter of opinion but i dont think you are at RTC to call home to mommy or your wife. You are there to become a Sailor and focus on the task at hand. It will also be a time in my life where i am going to be finally on my own and i dont want the option to call home. It defeats the purpose. Theres more cons than pros to this so im completely against it.
"It takes a little courage, and a little self-control. And some grim determination, If you want to reach the goal. It takes a great deal of striving, and a firm and stern-set chin. No matter what the battle, if you really want to win, there's no easy path to glory. There is no road to fame. Life, however we may view it, Is no simple parlor game; But its prizes call for fighting, For endurance and for grit; For a rugged disposition that will not quit."
Navy SEAL Masterchief
Old 02-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
rac

rac is on a distinguished road

I guess I am more indifferent. If I don't feel like being homesick, I will avoid calling. If I feel like making my mom stress more, I will call her. I don't really have anyone besides my parents or friends to call, so it's kind of pointless to add calling privileges for me.

I fix airplanes sometimes. I know everything there is to know about absolutely nothing.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

I question the logistics of even making this happen. It took 2-3 hours out of our training day to make a phone call at RTC because we had to march to the NEX and use the phone center... we also had to juggle time between us and our brother division to make the calls, since there weren't enough pay phones.

We almost didn't get to make our "I'm a Sailor now" call because there were too many divisions that had run Battle Stations with us at the same time... one of the divisions ended up doing something stupid, so they lost their call til the next day.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Well this is all a matter of opinion but i dont think you are at RTC to call home to mommy or your wife. You are there to become a Sailor and focus on the task at hand. It will also be a time in my life where i am going to be finally on my own and i dont want the option to call home. It defeats the purpose. Theres more cons than pros to this so im completely against it.
Tell me your opinion in a few years when you are married and have a child of your own. You are going spec war, you know that people who are looking for the easy way don't take those jobs. I understand that not everyone is going to want to call home, but I would love to talk to mine when I can. As you grow you learn to take advantage of opportunities you are given, and that doesn't make you weak, just smart.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
tvpowell

tvpowell is on a distinguished road

I heard the same thing from my cousin who is in A-school now. She got the info from her chief
Closed Thread