NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
mscott1

mscott1 is on a distinguished road
Default IT/ATF

What am I going to expect in the IT/ATF program?
mscott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #2
Spook

Spook will become famous soon enough

If you don't like computers it'll be rough. You'll be looking at System Administration, Hardware fixes, Networking, Comms. The lucky few can pick up Tactical It positions which is what was previously listed, but deployed (not on a ship). Some work for squadrons. As an IT myself, I do tactical system administration. You get out of it what you put in.
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
Jp123

Jp123 is on a distinguished road

IT/ATF here currently in the digital tutor program. You get E2 out of bootcamp. You also get promoted to 3rd class after you graduate AND meet the time in rate required.

As a 6 year IT you could get either the typical A and C school or you could get placed into what I'm in, which is called digital tutor and is a fairy new self paced training program for us 6 year ITs. It is totally random which class you are placed in.

My school is about 7 months long.
Jp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
mscott1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp123 View Post
IT/ATF here currently in the digital tutor program. You get E2 out of bootcamp. You also get promoted to 3rd class after you graduate AND meet the time in rate required.

As a 6 year IT you could get either the typical A and C school or you could get placed into what I'm in, which is called digital tutor and is a fairy new self paced training program for us 6 year ITs. It is totally random which class you are placed in.

My school is about 7 months long.
Does a system admin person often code or learn pen testing?
Old 03-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
Spook

Spook will become famous soon enough

It's rare that an IT will have to do any coding. Im not saying its impossible, but that kind of work is left for the CTs.
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:47 PM   #6
contigo26

contigo26 is on a distinguished road

Will i be able to get an IT rate when i pass the ASVAB? (Situation that you passed the exam and qualified for any rate). I read somewhere that it all depends on numbers and what is available.

What happens if it is not available? I have looked at other rates, and I am only wanting to stick with IT as I have a college degree in IT so i have experience and would rather stick with a career that lines with my degree which I did further research and this fit my career.

What can i do if it is not offered?
contigo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:59 PM   #7
mscott1

Quote:
Originally Posted by contigo26 View Post
Will i be able to get an IT rate when i pass the ASVAB? (Situation that you passed the exam and qualified for any rate). I read somewhere that it all depends on numbers and what is available.

What happens if it is not available? I have looked at other rates, and I am only wanting to stick with IT as I have a college degree in IT so i have experience and would rather stick with a career that lines with my degree which I did further research and this fit my career.

If not offered, go for CTN job. Usually one of the two is offered. You can also ask you recruiter to check the jobs that are currently available by asking her to call.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #8
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Check out this thread for more info:
http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7112

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:43 PM   #9
Jp123

I went to MEPS only wanting to get IT, and it happened to be available. They had to do a background check before i was given the rate though. Took about 2 days after MEPS before I got a call saying I got it. They just check for debt and stuff like that
Old 03-06-2016, 09:22 PM   #10
contigo26

contigo26 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp123 View Post
I went to MEPS only wanting to get IT, and it happened to be available. They had to do a background check before i was given the rate though. Took about 2 days after MEPS before I got a call saying I got it. They just check for debt and stuff like that
How long were you in DEP before you shipped out?
contigo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:37 PM   #11
mscott1

Quote:
How long were you in DEP before you shipped out?
for me at least, they(the classifier) wanted me to go to bootcamp 2 months after the current day. I of course rejected, and decided to go 3 months after the current day, because I am going for the E-3 through credits, at the moment.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #12
Jp123

I was in DEP for 7 months
Old 06-15-2017, 03:31 PM   #13
torresus

torresus is on a distinguished road

I’ve read 1510-030 and considering my daughter enlisted on 05/01/2017 as an E1, graduates RTC on 06/30/2017, and is going to IT/ATF A/C-school which is approximately 8 months, is this correct?

06/30/2017 – Graduation from RTC and begin A/C-school. Automatic promotion to E2.
03/01/2018 – Graduation from A/C-school. Remain E2 because she doesn’t meet TIR (9 months as E2).
04/01/2018 – Promotion to E3 (TIR 9 months as E2)
10/01/2018 – Promotion to E4 (TIR 6 months as E3)

So, from what I’ve read, she won’t be able to wear E4 for almost 7 months after she graduates C-school. Is that correct?
torresus is offline   Reply With Quote