NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-16-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
jbpr77

jbpr77 is on a distinguished road
Default Failed CTN or CTR School??

Greetings to all,

I have a short question. I am looking for information about CTN or CTR School.
If I fail any of those school, can I choose any job that I will desire, or they push me on other job that they wanted?. I wanted to be a YNS too, but I will try to become a Navy CT's community member. But if for some reason, God help me, I fail on School, can I switch to become a YNS?. I will be very greatful to any advises and responses. Thanks a lot.

Regards,

JGB
jbpr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

I was initially a CTN and got dropped for failing two exams. We called it 'double-tapping.' Along with me, 4 others also failed. We were each presented with different options. Three of the guys (active duty) were each given 5 choices to choose from. The options were LS, AD, PACT Air, and PACT Sea for one guy. They were AD, BM, Pact Air, and Pact Sea for one of the others. The other guy I'm not sure what his choices were, but he chose PACT Sea. Me and the other guy (both Reservist) were given the exact same choices with only one billet for each - meaning we had to decide together which rates we would take. Our choices were EO, EM, and PS. I took PS and he took EM. So, basically, no. You don't get to just choose what you want. They tell you, "Here are your choices. Choose one or you'll be separated from the Navy." I don't know that they'll actually separate you, but that's what I was told. If you have any doubts about CTN I'd be nervous about it. CTR isn't that bad. In fact, I don't know if anyone failing CTR. But I'll tell you this. When I got there and my chief asked what my rating was he said this, "You know what CTNs do? They fail. That's what they do." But, some people are naturals at it. There were guys in my class that I would've never thought could make it, but they killed it. It's hard to guess who'll do good. But it's definitely no cakewalk.
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
jbpr77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbazu View Post
I was initially a CTN and got dropped for failing two exams. We called it 'double-tapping.' Along with me, 4 others also failed. We were each presented with different options. Three of the guys (active duty) were each given 5 choices to choose from. The options were LS, AD, PACT Air, and PACT Sea for one guy. They were AD, BM, Pact Air, and Pact Sea for one of the others. The other guy I'm not sure what his choices were, but he chose PACT Sea. Me and the other guy (both Reservist) were given the exact same choices with only one billet for each - meaning we had to decide together which rates we would take. Our choices were EO, EM, and PS. I took PS and he took EM. So, basically, no. You don't get to just choose what you want. They tell you, "Here are your choices. Choose one or you'll be separated from the Navy." I don't know that they'll actually separate you, but that's what I was told. If you have any doubts about CTN I'd be nervous about it. CTR isn't that bad. In fact, I don't know if anyone failing CTR. But I'll tell you this. When I got there and my chief asked what my rating was he said this, "You know what CTNs do? They fail. That's what they do." But, some people are naturals at it. There were guys in my class that I would've never thought could make it, but they killed it. It's hard to guess who'll do good. But it's definitely no cakewalk.
Greetings,

I'm really appreciated for your response. At this moment I'm very confuse about if I should to choose one or another, CTN, CTR, YNS. My recruiter said to me that I should choose any of CT's ratings. I want to spend a lot of time with my family. I know some CT's jobs suchs as CTN and CTR don't spend time on sea duty. That is the reason for wich I want to choose CT's jobs, also in the civilian area I can find a lot of opportunities with this knowledge. The recruiter tell me I can choose any jobs if I fail Ct school. But with this information I can take more time to make a best desicion on MEPS.

Regards,

JGB
Old 02-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
Barbazu

CTRs can land shore duty, but there's a big chance that you'll end up on a ship or on the other side of the world. CTNs are almost all shore duty and most likely in the United States on the first tour. Yeoman can be literally anywhere, but if you go subs then you'll probably be on a sub your first tour. Don't quote me on that, but seems likely. Unless your recruiter is a CT or in intel then he is probably like everyone else and doesn't really know what the hell CTs do. Haha! So I'd take what he says with a grain of salt. Especially since he's said you'll be able to pick whatever if you fail. That's simply not true. If you're looking for something that will benefit you on the civilian side and keep you on the ground then CTN is the way to go. Yeoman will help you as a civilian, too, but you're gonna see some sea duty for sure. Anyone of those three choices are awesome rates. I have a lot of experience with all of them because I was a CTN then when I failed I worked in the school that CTRs go to doing inventory and other... stuff... Then when I went to Meridian for PS school the YNs were right next door to my class and my roommate (who used to be a CTN) was a YN. All of them are good rates. Good luck!
Old 02-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
jbpr77

Quote:
CTRs can land shore duty, but there's a big chance that you'll end up on a ship or on the other side of the world. CTNs are almost all shore duty and most likely in the United States on the first tour. Yeoman can be literally anywhere, but if you go subs then you'll probably be on a sub your first tour. Don't quote me on that, but seems likely. Unless your recruiter is a CT or in intel then he is probably like everyone else and doesn't really know what the hell CTs do. Haha! So I'd take what he says with a grain of salt. Especially since he's said you'll be able to pick whatever if you fail. That's simply not true. If you're looking for something that will benefit you on the civilian side and keep you on the ground then CTN is the way to go. Yeoman will help you as a civilian, too, but you're gonna see some sea duty for sure. Anyone of those three choices are awesome rates. I have a lot of experience with all of them because I was a CTN then when I failed I worked in the school that CTRs go to doing inventory and other... stuff... Then when I went to Meridian for PS school the YNs were right next door to my class and my roommate (who used to be a CTN) was a YN. All of them are good rates. Good luck!
Good morning.

Thank you very much for yor response that is clear. Now I have clear idea about would happen if I fail any school. Anyways, I think I should choose YNS because it school isn't long time, it's a great job and I will have great opportunities in civilian area.

Regards,

JGB
Old 02-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Let me ask you one question, have you been to MEPS yet to get a rate offer?

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #7
jbpr77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
Let me ask you one question, have you been to MEPS yet to get a rate offer?
Greetings,

Not yet, but next week I will be on MEPS to choose my job an then to take the Oath of Enlistment. I did PT last month on MEPS and I pass it. When I'll go to MEPS I hope that YNS possition may be avaliable to choose it.

Regards,

JGB
Old 02-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #8
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpr77 View Post
Greetings,
I know some CT's jobs suchs as CTN and CTR don't spend time on sea duty.
Just some clarification here.

CTN's obviously will almost never deploy. CTR's though, there's no reason you're not deployable. CTR's are onboard ships, subs, aircraft, you name it.

If you got some questions, throw 'em at me! But just wanted you to know that going CT isn't some kind of promise not to deploy. Hell I've been on 4 myself, covering 30+ countries and 4 continents.

/r
CTT1

Last edited by FlyNavy; 01-07-2018 at 12:37 AM.
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #9
jeannesarah

jeannesarah is on a distinguished road

Have you taken the ASVAB yet & if so do you have your line scores to know what jobs you qualify for? And do you know the difference between YN and YNS? You mention an interest in YNS but that is a submarine rate - you will be on subs & pretty much out of contact with family when you are on deployment. YN is a surface rate - you can be stationed anywhere there are sailors. Your first assignment will probably be sea duty but most likely on a surface ship or with a squadron.
jeannesarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #10
sweetmtn

Quote:
Greetings,

Not yet, but next week I will be on MEPS to choose my job an then to take the Oath of Enlistment. I did PT last month on MEPS and I pass it. When I'll go to MEPS I hope that YNS possition may be avaliable to choose it.

Regards,

JGB
When you do get to MEPS, you will be told which jobs are available to you at that time...some times the rate you want is not available...it is best to have at least a list of 5 you are interested in.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-18-2017, 03:24 PM   #11
jbpr77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
Just some clarification here.

CTN's obviously don't deploy . CTR's though, there's no reason you're not deployable. CTR's are onboard ships, subs, aircraft, you name it.

If you got some questions, throw 'em at me! But just wanted you to know that going CT isn't some kind of promise not to deploy. Hell I've been on 4 myself, covering 30+ countries and 4 continents.

/r
CTT1
Thank you very much for this information. It's very important to me to know these specific details.

Regards,

JGB

Last edited by FlyNavy; 01-07-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:27 PM   #12
jbpr77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
When you do get to MEPS, you will be told which jobs are available to you at that time...some times the rate you want is not available...it is best to have at least a list of 5 you are interested in.

But if I'm interested only on YNS rate, there will be any problem with my enlistment?.

Regards,

JGB
Old 02-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #13
jeannesarah

jeannesarah is on a distinguished road

Not a problem as long as they have a YNS slot open that day. You can never know ahead of time what jobs they have any given day until you sit down with the detailer. I just wanted to be sure you understood that YNS is a submarine rate and YN is the same job just not on subs.
jeannesarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #14
jbpr77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannesarah View Post
Not a problem as long as they have a YNS slot open that day. You can never know ahead of time what jobs they have any given day until you sit down with the detailer. I just wanted to be sure you understood that YNS is a submarine rate and YN is the same job just not on subs.
Greetings,

I'm know that YNS is specific job on submarine and this is the reason for that I want this rate. Can I choose a specific submarine class on Sub School, such as SSBN submarine?. Any information about this question I'll be very gratefull.

Regards,

JGB
Old 02-18-2017, 06:16 PM   #15
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Greetings,

I'm know that YNS is specific job on submarine and this is the reason for that I want this rate. Can I choose a specific submarine class on Sub School, such as SSBN submarine?. Any information about this question I'll be very gratefull.

Regards,

JGB
1st tour sailors usually are assigned to what we call "needs of the Navy", aka they put you where you're needed. Although if they've got enough people they can start being more flexible and you might be able to pick. It really just comes down to what rate you are and what that manning looks like. Some folks get to choose and others have their choices made for them. It's luck of the draw in most cases.

If you stick around for a 2nd enlistment, that's when you really get a lot more freedom in picking where you go.

/r
CTT1
Old 02-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #16
jbpr77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
1st tour sailors usually are assigned to what we call "needs of the Navy", aka they put you where you're needed. Although if they've got enough people they can start being more flexible and you might be able to pick. It really just comes down to what rate you are and what that manning looks like. Some folks get to choose and others have their choices made for them. It's luck of the draw in most cases.

If you stick around for a 2nd enlistment, that's when you really get a lot more freedom in picking where you go.

/r
CTT1
Actually, I feel a little confused about which job I should select, the best job for my family and our future. Because this is a big change and I think this is the most challenging decision in our lives. I want to be a YNS with the hope that I can choose only one submarine class, SSBN, because this class does not deploy a long time such as other classes. Also I want to being on CT's community due to the greatest opportunities that I would have in the civil area. I read a lot of reviews in many articles about CT's jobs and school. People say that CTN and CTR school, JCAC, is one of the most hard Navy school and not many people can graduate from it. When I will go to MEPS, if I get a CTN job offer, can I choose CTN rate if I do not have any experience in a computer area?. Because that's my biggest concern about choosing this job which is very important in the Navy. I don't have computer knowledge, only the basic things as many people know, emails, search information, videos, Microsoft Word, etc. You know, all of us already have those basic knowledge. Also I read a little about it's study environment, closed classroom, all class materials stay on classroom not with you, you have little study and review time. Instead of brain, you need to have a computer!. How difficult it's this school for someone who does not have previous experience in the area?.

Regards,

JGB
Old 02-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #17
sweetmtn

MEPS and the Navy wont care what experience you have had..the rate/jobs offered will go strictly on your line scores from your ASVAB test.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #18
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
When I will go to MEPS, if I get a CTN job offer, can I choose CTN rate if I do not have any experience in a computer area?
Absolutely. That's the entire reason we have training commands; to teach you these new skills. It's also a reason the Navy is a great option, because you can get paid to learn a new skill or trade.

Quote:
I don't have computer knowledge, only the basic things as many people know, emails, search information, videos, Microsoft Word, etc. You know, all of us already have those basic knowledge. Also I read a little about it's study environment, closed classroom, all class materials stay on classroom not with you, you have little study and review time. Instead of brain, you need to have a computer!. How difficult it's this school for someone who does not have previous experience in the area?.
You're correct that most of the material you're working on in class isn't something you can take home with you, but they will make plenty of time for you to come in and study so don't worry about that. If you want to study, somebody will help make that happen.

JCAC has one of the highest drop rates in the Navy. The reason for this is because it's a lot of new things for most people and it's very fast paced. Also, not everyone has the right mind for this kind of work. What I mean by that is that someone might be very smart, but computers and networks work in a very specific way. Not everyone can understand it as quickly as the class needs you to.

If you're not very comfortable with technology then I wouldn't recommend this rate to you unless you're EXTREMELY passionate about it. Don't just pick a job for money, pick something you can really be happy doing. If you're interested and involved in what you do then your life will be much happier.

CTR on the other hand does not require as deep of a technical understanding (at least not at the start of your career). So if you're new to technology, I would recommend that before I would CTN. You still get all the benefits of doing this kind of job and you have a SIGNIFICANTLY higher chance of passing the school.

/r
CTT1
Old 02-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #19
jabONE
**Active Duty**

jabONE is on a distinguished road

There is actually only one classified module in the entirety of JCAC where you have to leave your books in the schoolhouse. The rest of it is unclassified and you can take your study materials home with you and study as much as you want in your off time. And believe me, you certainly will need it as CTT1 said, it is a very difficult school.

CTN2 Baron
jabONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #20
Barbazu

As I mentioned previously, some people that I felt would never make it through JCAC were amazing at it. And some, including myself, that I thought would breeze through it got dropped. There's no formula for knowing if you'll make it. And it's not that the material is that difficult. It's that it is so fast paced that it's easy to get left behind. That's what happened with me. I believe I could have made it through, but I failed one test and the class kept going. So I was learning new material and trying to get an understanding of the material I failed at the same time. It was too much. Before I knew it I was cleaning toilets and getting shipped to another school.

As CTN2 said, you get study guides that you can take home with you to study. I still have mine. I didn't make it far enough to get into the classified stuff, but from what I understand 99% of what you learn is not classified. You'll be briefed on some sensitive stuff, but that's really to just get you excited about the job more than it contributes to your learning.

If you choose CTN, the best advice I can give you is to start learning to think like a computer. Logic and discrete mathematics are your friend. Also, when you get to Corry Station, don't get caught up in the hoopla of having a good time in Pensacola while you're in holding waiting on your clearance. Work, exercise, and rest. JCAC will hit you like a freight train from the very beginning. If you're accustomed to "having a good time" in Pensacola then you'll be sorely disappointed when all that ends on the first day of class. Your time will spent at school, studying in your room, and standing watch. If you try to do anything other than that you'll likely fail.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #21
jabONE
**Active Duty**

jabONE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As I mentioned previously, some people that I felt would never make it through JCAC were amazing at it. And some, including myself, that I thought would breeze through it got dropped. There's no formula for knowing if you'll make it. And it's not that the material is that difficult. It's that it is so fast paced that it's easy to get left behind. That's what happened with me. I believe I could have made it through, but I failed one test and the class kept going. So I was learning new material and trying to get an understanding of the material I failed at the same time. It was too much. Before I knew it I was cleaning toilets and getting shipped to another school.

As CTN2 said, you get study guides that you can take home with you to study. I still have mine. I didn't make it far enough to get into the classified stuff, but from what I understand 99% of what you learn is not classified. You'll be briefed on some sensitive stuff, but that's really to just get you excited about the job more than it contributes to your learning.

If you choose CTN, the best advice I can give you is to start learning to think like a computer. Logic and discrete mathematics are your friend. Also, when you get to Corry Station, don't get caught up in the hoopla of having a good time in Pensacola while you're in holding waiting on your clearance. Work, exercise, and rest. JCAC will hit you like a freight train from the very beginning. If you're accustomed to "having a good time" in Pensacola then you'll be sorely disappointed when all that ends on the first day of class. Your time will spent at school, studying in your room, and standing watch. If you try to do anything other than that you'll likely fail.
Sorry you did not make it man. I had a hard time in JCAC in the beginning much like you did. I failed the first mod twice and got fortunate due to career circumstances to get a third test. I passed it and then struggled for the next couple mods until I got the hang of it. I eventually got to a point where I comfortably made it through. I did not fail another test after that initial double tap, but I certainly was stressed through the rest of JCAC. I made it through though. It certainly will pass you by if you are not grasping the material though.

For all you future CTN's, I had no prior knowledge or experience with computers other than being a standard user so prior knowledge is not necessary. Just the ability to study hard and learn fast. Ask questions frequently and seek out extra help if you need it. If you are unsure about a topic or concept, ask for help or clarification. Do not assume you understood it.

CTN2 Baron
jabONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #22
Barbazu

Thanks CTN2! I really wanted CTN, but it wasn't in the cards for me. I double tapped the second mod and the ARB voted me down two to one. But I was completely honest with them. I told them I'm a self-paced learner and I didn't think I could keep up with the pace. I told them I had no doubt that I could learn the job, and probably excel at it, but there was no way I could learn that stuff as quickly as they require. So I rolled the dice and got stuck with PS. It's a great rate, but not for me. I'm just waiting to rerate at this point. Haha!
Old 12-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #23
Racinkc1

Racinkc1 is on a distinguished road
Default Chances of passing jcac

I scored a 78 on my asvab. I realize what I may be getting myself into concerning jcac. I’m willing to organize study groups, make flash cards, do volo studying. What are my chances of passing for a CTN rate?
Racinkc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #24
Barbazu

I scored a 92 on my asvab. In my class I had the second highest score, but I got dropped and most of the others made it. Honestly, it’s more about your learning style than your intellect. It’s really fast paced. That’s what got me. If you’re a relatively quick learner you’ll probably do okay. JCAC will consume your life for six months, though. So buckle up!
Old 01-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #25
Racinkc1

Racinkc1 is on a distinguished road

Should I get a laptop for A school? I want to give myself every possible advantage if I get the CTN rate.
Racinkc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:26 PM   #26
Barbazu

You’ll be issued a laptop once you class up. Here’s a couple things to keep in mind...

They suck. They’re a piece of garbage.

And NEVER EVER NEVER NEVER EVER take your laptop into the SCIF. It’s for studying outside of class. I was on a working party where I once had to actually shred a hard drive because some guy brought his laptop into the scif. I also had to shred his cellphone so don’t take it either. You WILL be caught. I promise.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:40 PM   #27
Kcw522

Kcw522 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=FlyNavy;59547]Just some clarification here.

CTN's obviously will almost never deploy. CTR's though, there's no reason you're not deployable. CTR's are onboard ships, subs, aircraft, you name it.

If you got some questions, throw 'em at me! But just wanted you to know that going CT isn't some kind of promise

So I’m going in as a ctr and I definitely want to travel and see the world is this an easily achievable thing to do as a ctr?
Kcw522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #28
Barbazu

Yes. As a CTR there’s a big chance you’ll be on a ship for your first tour. I really wish I went CTR. It’s such a cool rate. I worked in the CTR building and got to hear/see a ton of their classes. There’s some difficult things to grasp, but for the most part it’s not that bad. And they can go literally anywhere.