NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Master-at-Arms B640

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-21-2015, 08:15 PM   #1
smneal

smneal is on a distinguished road
Default What are some duty stations for MA's

My daughter graduate in a couple of weeks then she go to San Antonio and was just wondering where would she possibly be stationed
smneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:18 PM   #2
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Literally anywhere at all...
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:38 AM   #3
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

California, Connecticut, DC, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Mississippi, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Bahrain, Egypt, Doego Garcia, Djibouti, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Korea, Kuwait, Oman, Peru, Qatar, Saudis Arabia, Singapore, Spain, UAE.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

My daughter in law when she finished her training as an MA went directly to Bahrain for her entire enlistment....

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Note: This news is still preliminary, and therefore subject to 1) my own misinterpretation and 2) Navy whimsy.

I just heard today that Big Navy wants to do away with temporary Security personnel on carriers, meaning that all the grunt work currently filled by other ratings on loan will soon be done exclusively by MAs. If this goes through, the rating is going to need a lot of new bodies, and advancement may get a shot in the arm.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #6
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

This is true, one of the reasons the CNP announced the "Bees to Badges" program a few weeks ago.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:25 PM   #7
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Huh, completely missed that. I wonder if it went through my email and I never noticed it.

Chief was making it sound like MAs were taking over these jobs throughout the fleet, but the links I'm seeing are only talking about carriers. I'll edit that...

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:37 PM   #8
kycop107

kycop107 is on a distinguished road

Will this translate to MA openings for people ready to join now? I should be going to MEPS next week and am praying for MA to be available as I have been a Police Officer for a decade now.
kycop107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:44 PM   #9
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycop107 View Post
Will this translate to MA openings for people ready to join now? I should be going to MEPS next week and am praying for MA to be available as I have been a Police Officer for a decade now.
Now obviously, everyone's opinions and experiences will vary... but I work with a current AW who was an LAPD officer for 9 years before going MA. He hated almost everything about military police work compared to his work as a civilian LEO and crossed over to Aircrew after 5 years. Another guy I worked with as a Sheriff's Deputy also went Army MP and hated it.

Again, just food for thought... I've seen from your previous posts that you've scored well on your ASVAB so don't rule out more intel oriented ratings for MA.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:48 PM   #10
Agrias
**Active Duty**

Agrias is on a distinguished road

I literally just got sent cranking to security, so if they're getting rid of it, it's not "soon".
Agrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:07 AM   #11
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
Now obviously, everyone's opinions and experiences will vary... but I work with a current AW who was an LAPD officer for 9 years before going MA. He hated almost everything about military police work compared to his work as a civilian LEO and crossed over to Aircrew after 5 years. Another guy I worked with as a Sheriff's Deputy also went Army MP and hated it.

Again, just food for thought... I've seen from your previous posts that you've scored well on your ASVAB so don't rule out more intel oriented ratings for MA.
Agreed.
MA work is not like civilian law enforcement. A lot of people go with that expectation and are disappointed.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #12
PropertyofBuMed
**Active Duty**

PropertyofBuMed has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
My daughter in law when she finished her training as an MA went directly to Bahrain for her entire enlistment....
rich girl.. dang im jealous of this
PropertyofBuMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #13
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

I think a lot of MA/MP's are highly disappointed after they start doing their actual job. Guarding gates and checking ID's has to be awful. I had a bunch of MA's at my table during TGPS class and they all sounded miserable. Very slow advancement and shift work.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:44 PM   #14
kycop107

kycop107 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Haasino and Guppy. I'll definitely keep this in mind. My recruiter has been trying to steer me toward Intelligence also, so I am trying to get some research in before MEPS.
kycop107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:05 AM   #15
Squid350
**Active Duty**

Squid350 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
I think a lot of MA/MP's are highly disappointed after they start doing their actual job. Guarding gates and checking ID's has to be awful. I had a bunch of MA's at my table during TGPS class and they all sounded miserable. Very slow advancement and shift work.
That's been my first & third command for sure. Second, though, still shift work... but harbor is where it's at for sure. If you're into LE there are some commands where it's a big thing. San Diego and Japan from what I've heard.

MA advancement is not really slow right now, at least compared to some other rates. I made MA1 before the 8 year mark with decent evals and excellent test scores. Evals matter more now, though (lucky me).

The major perk to MA shift work is a consistent schedule. I completed ~85% of my BS in information systems while on active duty. No way no how would that have happened if I was on sea duty for those five years.

Agreed that the job satisfaction isn't there though. Now that I've priced myself out of driving patrol boats I'm looking in a different direction. Don't plan on being an MA for the next 12+ years.
Squid350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #16
chrisxxii

chrisxxii is on a distinguished road

LE is just a small part of what MAs do. If your joining and want to be a cop your probably going to be disappointed with MA. It seems like 50% of the people leaving a school will get a PRP billet. Which isn't the worst thing in life. Just get ready to work with Marines
chrisxxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:08 PM   #17
Squid350
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
An entire enlistment in Bahrain? Ouch.

2 years was more than enough for me.

Visit the "Navy Deppers" facebook group!
Old 06-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #18
digitalxhottie

digitalxhottie is on a distinguished road
Red face

okay, so reading these posts has made me a little confused on trying for MA. I was told that HM may not be available at the time I need it, so I was just gonna go for MA. I dont wanna just stand post and check ID's. Although I do want to request Camp Pendleton I miss it like crazy, but Im also up for going to a new place.

Advice plzzzzzz
Old 06-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #19
Squid350
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalxhottie View Post
okay, so reading these posts has made me a little confused on trying for MA. I was told that HM may not be available at the time I need it, so I was just gonna go for MA. I dont wanna just stand post and check ID's. Although I do want to request Camp Pendleton I miss it like crazy, but Im also up for going to a new place.

Advice plzzzzzz
I don't think you'll see Pendleton as an MA. HM is more likely.

Visit the "Navy Deppers" facebook group!
Old 06-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #20
digitalxhottie

digitalxhottie is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid350 View Post
I don't think you'll see Pendleton as an MA. HM is more likely.
Ill cross my fingers Either one Ill take - but if I can find any job at Pendleton that would be AWESOME! But, again...Im willing to go anywhere because the bigger picture is...ILL BE IN THE NAVY!! LoL