NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 06-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
courtneypnn

courtneypnn is on a distinguished road
Default Nuke clearance question

Hi im awaiting my clearance for nuke and my fcredit history isnt the best. im paying off tuition and hospital bill which got sent to collections. will this be a serious issue while they process me
courtneypnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Bills in collections aren't exactly good, but if you've included all that information in your application and are currently paying them off it looks a lot better than it would otherwise.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
drego86

drego86 is on a distinguished road

Your recruiter will probably have to submit a waiver for you. I wouldn't worry about it unless it's an insane amount in collections.
drego86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
courtneypnn

courtneypnn is on a distinguished road

its only about 700 in collections and 2500 im paying off in tuition
courtneypnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
drego86

drego86 is on a distinguished road

Ok, yeah I wouldn't worry about that. Even if you have to get a waiver it should get approved. Mine was for way more than that and it got approved.
drego86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Student loans or tuition debt paid on-time will almost never factor against you during a clearance investigation... it's considered "positive debt" in a way because it's accepted as normal for college graduates.

All other types of dept are the biggest issue when considered for a security clearance... more so than tickets, arrests, or prior drug use. I've personally seen someone with decade-old felony arrest record granted a TS/SCI clearance, while someone with $5k in collections was denied a Secret. However, it's not always an automatic death sentence to have some debt... in your case, it's minimal debt that'll be paid off by the time you graduate RTC. As long as it's not recent, and you can explain it, you should be fine.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote