NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 06-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
j1nx440

j1nx440 is on a distinguished road
Default my recruiter just text me

He just text me saying trainning at bootcamp changed anyone else hear about this?
j1nx440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Changed in regards to what?

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
futureGSEsailor

futureGSEsailor is on a distinguished road

yes, we had a meeting about it. I dont remember if it takes place in september or october, but training will be 13 weeks, instead of 8 weeks. They will be teaching basic combat training and now, girls are not required to cut their hair for BMT.

I'm a little bummed I am going before the change. I would love to learn some combat training
futureGSEsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureGSEsailor View Post
yes, we had a meeting about it. I dont remember if it takes place in september or october, but training will be 13 weeks, instead of 8 weeks. They will be teaching basic combat training and now, girls are not required to cut their hair for BMT.

I'm a little bummed I am going before the change. I would love to learn some combat training
Funny because that rumor has been going on for years. I have not seen any releases coming from the Navy about this. I doubt that they are teaching combat now as there is no need for the majority of the Navy to have combat training.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Not a single thing about a longer bootcamp or anything on any offical navy site....so I highly doubt that this lastest rumor is true...plus if it was true, every recuiter across the United Sates would have gotten the same message, and my local one did not.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
John213AV

John213AV is on a distinguished road

just google that, and its been a rumor since 2011.

With that being said, we DO HAVE A SPECIAL MEETING at our Monday DEP meeting. Actually, we meet on tuesdays, but we have to go over something new on Monday before bootcamp.

My recruiter said "I am going to ned everyone in the office on Monday for another meeting, there is a training that I need to contact for all of you guys that is required."

That was a text to me....so whatever that means!
John213AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

I worked an admin position at RTC from Nov-Jan before reporting to Aircrew Candidate School... several of my fellow AW classmates also worked staff/admin jobs after graduation...

There is absolutely NO CREDIBLE INFORMATION from the CO down to the individual ships' officers that there are any plan to extend Navy bootcamp! They have indefinitely shut down 3-4 of the ships (barracks) due to lack of recruits, and turned a 5th into THU/SEPS barracks. It would have taken a lot of time and resources to re-open those ships to accomodate recruits staying longer... to say nothing of the lack of facilities required to accomodate rifle training and CQB. Those are unnecessary training courses for many rates, which is why they're taught at the necessary A Schools. Marine bootcamp incorporates those courses, plus more, because every Marine is a Rifleman 1st, and their respective MOS 2nd.

TL;DR... not happening.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by John213AV View Post
just google that, and its been a rumor since 2011.

With that being said, we DO HAVE A SPECIAL MEETING at our Monday DEP meeting. Actually, we meet on tuesdays, but we have to go over something new on Monday before bootcamp.

My recruiter said "I am going to ned everyone in the office on Monday for another meeting, there is a training that I need to contact for all of you guys that is required."

That was a text to me....so whatever that means!
Oh, there's another new fleet-wide SAPR (sexual assault prevention) training everyone is doing this and next week. I've not heard of SAPR training a being done prior to training, but maybe.

Also, that rumor has been along WAY before 2011.... More like since the beginning of RTC

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
John213AV

John213AV is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
Oh, there's another new fleet-wide SAPR (sexual assault prevention) training everyone is doing this and next week. I've not heard of SAPR training a being done prior to training, but maybe.

Also, that rumor has been along WAY before 2011.... More like since the beginning of RTC

oh ok! thanks for the notice!
John213AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
Emttsg

Emttsg is on a distinguished road
Smile

yeah we just had our sexual assualt meeting today it was almost 3 hours long
Emttsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
vet502

vet502 is on a distinguished road

I just met with my recruiter today, and she didn't mention anything about it. I have to meet with her twice a month. First Wednesday of every month to go over drills, marches, etc. with the other Deppers, and another one-on-one meeting for my education/memorization progress. And of course, checking in with her every Monday for my "status". Combat training would be cool though.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
gameingkine
**Active Duty**

gameingkine is on a distinguished road

Asked my recruiter about it today. He said he hasnt heared anything about it but he will tell me if its true when i do my indock monday.. i hope it is id love combat training
gameingkine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

It's not. Period. The vast majority of Sailors will never see an enemy combatant at a distance of less than a few dozen meters.

And seriously, do you guys realize how much more money RTC would cost if everyone was there 50% longer, learning things 90% of them will never, ever use in the line of duty? Even if we weren't in a budget squeeze, that would be stupid.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
Tasha360

Tasha360 is on a distinguished road

Combat training would be fun! 13 weeks, not so much.
Tasha360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #15
bronxCTM

bronxCTM is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be the sexual assault prevention stuff with the looming sexual assault debate going on in Washington with the Pentagon brass and political leaders.

A few weeks ago (maybe 2) I was supposed to go to "mandatory training" this one Tuesday (this wasn't our scheduled DEP meeting)--told him I and another recruit I went to school with couldn't make it because we were still in school. So another recruiter came the next day and made us sign a fraternization policy sheet.

My recruiter said it would have only taken 5 minutes but my recruiting station (actually is a 'substation' of the actual NRS in another city--its a small Armed Forces Career Center building) is 30 minutes away so it wouldn't have been feasible for me and my friend/the other recruit to do this--all during school.
bronxCTM is offline   Reply With Quote