NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTI = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN INTERPRETIVE

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2017, 01:09 AM   #1
ConsideringNavy

ConsideringNavy is on a distinguished road
Default A few questions for current and past DLI attendees.

Hey Everyone! I have a few questions about life at the DLI. I read through the other threads here but I have some questions that I didn't see covered.

Is homework specifically vocabulary or is it more than that?

Do you really have to learn 50-80 words a day? How do you retain all that?

Can you use the internet once you get in when you're in the barracks? Is there a certain amount of freetime daily to keep in touch with family or do things outside of study?

Any idea how study/post class life differs between branches? Is it generally a more or less demanding environment in the Navy vs the Air Force?

If anyone is currently going to the DLI, is it possible that you know what classes are taking place now or when the next ones will start? That way I could maximize my chances of getting the language I want. I know it's up to the Navy but I'm a language guy and I want to make it my career.

Is it a standard to be allowed to pick three languages as your top choices? It seems like it is from what I've read here and elsewhere online.

Does anyone teach mnemonics there? I've used them for language learning and it seems like the best way to learn that many words and retain them decently.

What do you wish you had known before going in, taking your DLAB, etc?

Is there a certain way that works better to study and focus? I know it's kind of a unique way to learn a language.

Besides language use, what parts of the CTI job are commonplace?

For those who already spoke some of the language they were assigned, did you find it easier to progress than your peers who were less used to the language or did you have to basically do all the same stuff anyway?

If you got a language you didn't really like that much, did you grow to like it more because of culture and friends you shared the language with?

Thank you so much for reading.
ConsideringNavy is offline   Reply With Quote