NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 09-30-2015, 03:05 AM   #1
sidewinder_x5

sidewinder_x5 is on a distinguished road
Default PIR over New years?

Hello all,

getting close to shipping out, and honestly i'm getting nervous as hell, but excited as well.

While talking to my parents about their visit to the US in Dec/Jan (they live in malaysia), they wanted to know the exact date that I would graduate from RTC. Talked to my recruiter, and he said that it will most likely happen after new years, as my 8 weeks ends on 20151230. Now, from what i've gathered on this site, that normally means that PIR will be the next friday after said date, which is...Jan 1st.

Will my new PIR be the next friday, being Jan 7th? from what i gather it doesnt really happen on weekdays.

thanks in advance!
Switch to NF: 20150309
Ship Date: originally 20150916, now 20151104
sidewinder_x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:13 AM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Maybe the 8th, but also could be the 15th.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #3
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

It isn't an exactly 8 weeks type of situation, especially around the holidays when things get backed up. I know your family probably wants to be prepared and buy tickets early and all, but you won't know your graduation date for certain until after you get there. An arrival difference of an hour or two on the day you check in can put you in a different division that graduates a week later.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #4
Rach4USN

Rach4USN is on a distinguished road

I'm in a similar situation, I ship 20151221 (TBD) and I'm waiting for the official date so I can let my family know...my recruiter said I should find out next month when I will actually be shipping and hopefully I will be pushed up rather than pushed back.

"You were given this life because you were strong enough to live it."
Rach4USN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

They'll tell you your graduation date while you're in boot camp, which you can then write a letter home letting them know.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:03 PM   #6
sidewinder_x5

thanks for all the info!

Guess i'll tell my parents its most likely gonna be on the 8th...I doubt theyll stay longer if it ends up being on the 15th as my siblings will have already missed 2 weeks of school by then, and not sure how many days off my dad can take from work.

I will definitely send them a letter, but the unpredictable nature of actual letters means it might only reach them in malaysia after theyve arrived in the us.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:57 AM   #7
jeannesarah

jeannesarah is on a distinguished road

If you purchase an international calling card that will work from a pay phone you MAY be able to call them 2 or 3 weeks after you arrive at RTC. From the current boot camp moms sites it looks like almost everyone is being able to call around then but nothing is guaranteed. If you need help with finding the right kind of calling card feel free to PM me.
jeannesarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #8
sidewinder_x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannesarah View Post
If you purchase an international calling card that will work from a pay phone you MAY be able to call them 2 or 3 weeks after you arrive at RTC. From the current boot camp moms sites it looks like almost everyone is being able to call around then but nothing is guaranteed. If you need help with finding the right kind of calling card feel free to PM me.
I've been hearing rumors of that as well. As for actually calling them, my parents have a US VOIP number, so international calling isn't a problem.

I suppose it's a good idea to wish for a chistmas miracle? 😂
Old 10-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #9
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Have your parents check this web site for your graduation date...RTC posts the upcoming dates...so as soon as you get there have them start checking...that way you will know for sure! This also will give them an idea on who the day will go and how many guests you are allowed...When you get there you will know your division number so they can look to see when your graduation is...you can always call them to let them know faster, but I remember getting a letter from RTC with all the info a about 2 weeks in to my sons bootcamp.

http://www.bootcamp.navy.mil/upcoming_grads.asp

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #10
jeannesarah

jeannesarah is on a distinguished road

Our letter actually came in only a week - in August of this year. I think 10 days is average right now. But that was to a US address, not overseas. Is there someone you can send the letter to in the US that can call your parents to relay the information about your division and graduation date? That may be the quickest route.
jeannesarah is offline   Reply With Quote