NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AG = AEROGRAPHERS MATE

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Mparker181

Mparker181 is on a distinguished road
Default Aerographers mate?

So I recently had to change to a different rating and one that was recommended was an AG.. my recruiter an chief both said they he never seen anyone be offered this job and that it's a wonderful job with a lot of sea duty which is what I want. Does anyone know if this is true? And does anyone have information that wasnt posted on general websites?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
scarswell95

scarswell95 is on a distinguished road

A guy I know an AG and I asked him about it and he said advancement is horribly slow
Old 07-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
tiffanynacole

tiffanynacole is on a distinguished road

I dont know much about ag except the base you will be on for a school is good. Its walking distance from the beach and theres quite a few things to do around biloxi. I wanted this job so i could be back home for a little while after boot camp but it wasnt offered to me.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Mparker181

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarswell95 View Post
A guy I know an AG and I asked him about it and he said advancement is horribly slow
Does he like his job? I was told advancement wasn't bad since there isn't a lot of AG's
Old 07-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
Cmann318

Cmann318 is on a distinguished road

I just graduated bootcamp yesterday and I'm sitting in a rain delay in ATL waiting to take off to go to Biloxi for my AG A school. It's a very small rating in the Navy but a very good job to have. My last week at boot my RDC pulled up the advancement for our rating. The last 2 test cycles for AGs have gone like this. 100 percent of the people that took the e4 test advanced 82% of the ones that took the e5 test advanced and 100% of the people that too the e6 test passed. My chief told me that I was on the fast track to first class as long as I studied hard and got all my quals and had good evals. Your lucky to get this job cause it doesn't come up often. It's the job I wanted the whole time and was lucky enough to get it.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
Mparker181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmann318 View Post
I just graduated bootcamp yesterday and I'm sitting in a rain delay in ATL waiting to take off to go to Biloxi for my AG A school. It's a very small rating in the Navy but a very good job to have. My last week at boot my RDC pulled up the advancement for our rating. The last 2 test cycles for AGs have gone like this. 100 percent of the people that took the e4 test advanced 82% of the ones that took the e5 test advanced and 100% of the people that too the e6 test passed. My chief told me that I was on the fast track to first class as long as I studied hard and got all my quals and had good evals. Your lucky to get this job cause it doesn't come up often. It's the job I wanted the whole time and was lucky enough to get it.
I'm lookin forward to it because I this. Did he say anything about where you can be stationed?
Old 07-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Cmann318

Cmann318 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mparker181 View Post
I'm lookin forward to it because I this. Did he say anything about where you can be stationed?
We don't have a sea shore rotation like most ratings. We have a CONUS/OCONUS rotations. It's 3 years in the states and 3 years out of the states. From what I hear we don't really get stationed on ships much anymore. Of course it happens but we are most likely gonna go to weather stations. They only need a limited amount of AGs on ships so there isn't that big of a need for us on them right now. Norfolk, SD, Pearl Harbor, Japan, Jacksonville, whidbey island, Bremerton and stennis space station are all possible landing spots cause they have big weather stations but you can go where ever the Navy needs you. When do you ship to boot?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
AWS.Recruit

AWS.Recruit is on a distinguished road

You lucky son of a....sailor. This was one job I really wanted and with my last name being Weathers, it would be quite Ironic. My Line scores were two points away and couldn't get it. I have done a bunch of research on it prior to MEPS and you have a great job!!
Old 07-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #9
Mparker181

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWS.Recruit View Post
You lucky son of a....sailor. This was one job I really wanted and with my last name being Weathers, it would be quite Ironic. My Line scores were two points away and couldn't get it. I have done a bunch of research on it prior to MEPS and you have a great job!!
Can you tell me anymore about it? I'm only maybe 40% thrilled..
Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
vabchsue

vabchsue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWS.Recruit View Post
Who was this directed to?
Old 07-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
Mparker181

Does anyone have any information on an aerographer? Besides what on basic websites?
Old 07-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
vabchsue

vabchsue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mparker181 View Post
Does anyone have any information on an aerographer? Besides what on basic websites?
Look into About.com US Military Rating (Job Descriptions
Old 07-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

ejrwelch is on a distinguished road

since you want first hand of what its like go to facebook and look up the group U.S. Navy DEP Personnel... theres a member named Helaina she is an active AG and I am sure she will be happy to answer any questions you have!
Closed Thread

Tags
aerographer, aerographers mate, sea duty