NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 09-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #1
sgvince22

sgvince22 is on a distinguished road
Default So what exactly do i do at the airport?

Noobest of noob questions. Im shipping out from Yokosuka, Japan. What do i do when i when i get to o'hare airport? Also, can i bring like an ipod for the flight? its a 14~16 hour straight flight if i can remember. If i did bring an old ipod, what will i do with it when i get to RTC?
sgvince22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

You can bring whatever electronics, clothes, or books you want... you'll just have to put it in the box to be shipped home. When you arrive at O'Hare, head to the USO and they'll sign you in and guide you on where to go.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
jbair1

jbair1 is on a distinguished road

Sleep if you can and HYDRATE! You need to start hydrating 48 hrs before you leave. You will be sleep deprived the first few Pdays, and proper hydration helps. You need to be especially careful because of your long flight.
jbair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
sgvince22

12 hour flight for me.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

My meps is at Montgomery, Al. Does anyone know if I will be flying out of Montgomery, or will I be taking a bus to Atlanta to fly out. My recruiter wasn't really sure himself.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:17 AM   #6
sgvince22

another noob question. Can i bring a small bag? like a school backpack? i was going to put a magazine, my ipod, my academic records and such and like those travel size deos. Will this bagpack be included in the box that im gonna ship back?
Old 09-12-2014, 04:08 AM   #7
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Yes, you can bring a small bag.
But pay attention to the weight since you'll be paying for shipping.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:16 AM   #8
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

As long as it's something small and flexible you should be good. I remember someone brought an expensive looking rolling suitcase my first night at boot camp. It didn't fit in the box, so it probably got thrown out.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:55 AM   #9
sgvince22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
As long as it's something small and flexible you should be good. I remember someone brought an expensive looking rolling suitcase my first night at boot camp. It didn't fit in the box, so it probably got thrown out.
just a small schoolbag. Gonna bring a protein shake and a protein bar haha. Another noob question. Sorry if im just bombarding you guys with questions. Im shipping out in 3 days so im just making sure. As far as the phone call, does RTC provide payphones? Is there wi-fi? Because im shipping out from Japan, and my parents only have mobile. I dont know how to call their mobile from a phone in the states. If there was wi-fi i could just use an app.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:50 AM   #10
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

You should be able to dial their mobile like any other international number (the country code and then the full number)

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote