NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Hospital Corpsmen G000, L500

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-31-2017, 07:11 AM   #1
jbpr77

jbpr77 is on a distinguished road
Default Hospital Corpsmen shore duty and sea duty periods?

Hello. I am new Here. I have been doing some research about HM rating, as X-ray Tech. I have an important question. Is it rating and other HM relating ratings similar to other Navy jobs that has shore and sea duty periods?. For example: 4 sea duty and 3 shore duties, and so forth. I want to know the chances to be X-ray Tech and do those shore duties of this rating. Thank you for your answers and help!
jbpr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:32 AM   #2
walla125
**Active Duty**

walla125 is a splendid one to beholdwalla125 is a splendid one to beholdwalla125 is a splendid one to behold

Yes HM's also have a sea/ shore rotation and it is dependent upon NEC (Navy Enlisted Classification code). for advanced X-ray technician the code is HM-8452 ( there is no longer a basic X-ray technician), If I remember correctly the school is about a year long. Now back to the sea/shore rotation. It is 3 years at sea and 4 years on shore or 36 and 48 months respectively. the term "sea duty" does not necessarily mean you would be on one of those big gray things, the term should really be "operational duty" because this is GENERALLY the time you would deploy and or be away from your home port.
walla125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #3
jbpr77

jbpr77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by walla125 View Post
Yes HM's also have a sea/ shore rotation and it is dependent upon NEC (Navy Enlisted Classification code). for advanced X-ray technician the code is HM-8452 ( there is no longer a basic X-ray technician), If I remember correctly the school is about a year long. Now back to the sea/shore rotation. It is 3 years at sea and 4 years on shore or 36 and 48 months respectively. the term "sea duty" does not necessarily mean you would be on one of those big gray things, the term should really be "operational duty" because this is GENERALLY the time you would deploy and or be away from your home port.
Thanks a lot for your reply and aclaration. My recruiter tell me about this rating that when I finish A school is when I will know wich rating I'll be, in this case X-ray Technichian if I decide do that. I would not choose this job, said recruiter, they choose to my any rating relating to HM, according to their needs. Is it really true?.
jbpr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
walla125
**Active Duty**

walla125 is a splendid one to beholdwalla125 is a splendid one to beholdwalla125 is a splendid one to behold

HM is the abbreviation for Hospital Corpsman and you will officially become one once you successfully complete Hospital Corpsman "A" School, which will occur after recruit training. Once your an official Corpsman you can subspecialize in any of the 31 sub-specialties (NEC's) the Corpsman rating offers like X-Ray technician
walla125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:22 AM   #5
PropertyofBuMed
**Active Duty**

PropertyofBuMed has a spectacular aura about

Operational duty hits the nail on the head... Our 'sea duty' 9/10 times means green side duty with the marines.

Youll rotate just like every other rate, possibly to a ship, but most likely to the field.
PropertyofBuMed is offline   Reply With Quote