NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Powers of Attorney

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
Diesirae27

Diesirae27 is on a distinguished road
Default Powers of Attorney

ref: http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1596

I have a vehicle titled in my name only. Should I get a POA so that my wife can do whatever is needed?

What POAs from the Craig's thread do you recommend I have ready for my wife if any?
Diesirae27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Yes.

You probably want a POA for your car, bank, taxes (depending on when you'll be gone), lease, children (if applicable).
People will argue for and against general POAs. The reality is that there isn't much they can do any more, but in my experience can be helpful for the little things that might come up.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Very true on the ups and down side of POA's. If your wife and you have bank accounts together, insurance together, you are pretty much ok. If something were to happen to you a POA comes in very handy, including having taxes done! NOW..on the down side, and this comes from first hand experience from my oldest son. He gave his wife a general POA while he was in Korea..she used that to sell his car, motorcycle, clean out the bank accounts, moved..AND THE BIGGEST was actually able to sign his name to proceed with a divorce! And when he came home, it was already done, his marriage over and he was left with ZERO! Military legal and a private attorney could not do anything about it as she had the legal right to sign his name to anything she felt like!
A general POA makes the person able to sign for a loan using your name, sell your belongings, apply for credit cards in your name, etc.
My PERSONAL opinion is to get a LIMITED POA, where it states exactly what can AND cannot be done ONLY!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:34 PM   #4
Diesirae27

Diesirae27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
And when he came home, it was already done, his marriage over and he was left with ZERO!

I hope the very worse for that _______.
Diesirae27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesirae27 View Post

I hope the very worse for that _______.
I agree, that is one EX DIL that NEVER wants to ever run into this ex mother in law!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote