NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AD = AVIATION MACHINISTS MATE

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
Caitlyn

Caitlyn is on a distinguished road
Default The Little I Know About AD

I've spent a good amount of time asking questions to an AD2 about her job and this is what I was told.

When you get to A school you get to choose Jets, Helicoptors, or Propellors. In that order it is easiest to hardest. Then you're classified into "I" (Intermediate) level or "O" (Organizational) level. "I" level works on specified parts in a shop and never touches an aircraft itself. "O" level works on the aircraft on the flight line when you're not on the boat and the flight deck. You may work on things such as fuel cells, engine accessories, drive shafts, rotor blades, gear boxes, and so on depending on if you chose Jet, Heli, or Prop. You don't get to choose "I" or "O" right out of A school, you only choose Jet,Heli, Prop and what coast you prefer. After your first assignment you can choose where you want to go. A school is in Pensacola, FL and you're only there for a month.

If you are top of your school in A School you can be promoted to E-4.

Don't hold me to this information, it's not confermed or anything, but maybe you'll find it helpful. I personally wasn't so syked about my rating at first until I found out that we have so many options. Good luck! ^_^

I found this information on Military.com

General Info: Qualified individuals who enlist in the Aircrew program will perform tactical crew duties and in-flight maintenance in jet, turboprop and helicopter aircraft. They will undergo some of the most demanding physical training in the military. Aircrewmen are guaranteed class "A" technical school, aircrew training, and if they choose, rescue swimmer training. After successful completion of training, aircrewmen are assigned to flight duty in sea or shore-based squadrons. Because of the potentially hazardous nature of flight duty, aircrewmen receive "flight pay" in addition to other pay and allowances. Active duty obligation is five years -- four years regular enlistment with a one year extension for prolonged training. Enlistees enter as E-1s (recruits). Qualified individuals who volunteer for rescue swimmer training are advanced to E-2 (apprentice) after successful completion of recruit training, and are advanced to E-4 (petty officer third class) upon successful completion of both rescue swimmer school and class "A" school. The Aircrew program is physically and mentally demanding; however, the person who accepts the challenge is rewarded with extra pay and exciting duty assignments.

What They Do: Before and after flights aircrewmen perform pre-flight planning and equipment checks and post-flight maintenance associated with their assigned source ratings or mission specialty. The duties performed by aircrewmen include in-flight functions such as: operating tactical weapons, sensors, and communication equipment; performing in-flight maintenance of aircraft electrical and mechanical gear; working with pilots to operate and control aircraft systems; operating mine countermeasure detection and explosion equipment; providing rescue of downed pilots with emergency first aid and survival swimming; performing duties of flight attendants and load masters.

Detailed List of Required Duties

ASVAB Score Requirements: VE+AR+MK+MC=210 and AR+2MK+GS=194

Other Requirements: Must have normal color perception. Must have normal hearing. Must have no speech impediment. Security Clearance (SECRET) Requirement. 60 month obligation. Must be U.S. citizen.

Notes: Visual acuity must be correctable to 20/20. When specified, uncorrected visual acuity must not be greater than that indicated (i.e. 20/100), and must be correctable to 20/20. Must be high school graduate. Must volunteer for duty involving aerial flight as crew member and be physically qualified and psychologically adapted for flight IAW Article 15-77 MANMED. Must be certified as a class II swimmer before completion of recruit training with potential to achieve class I swimmer during aircrew training. Rescue swimmer requirements are physically demanding therefore strong swimmers only. No history of drug abuse. Normal depth perception required for rescue swimmer.

High school diploma graduate or equivalent. Must be able to type 40 words per minute. Must have no record of conviction by civil court for any offense other than minor traffic.

Technical Training Information: Enlistees are taught the fundamentals of this rating through on-the-job training or formal Navy schooling. Advanced technical and operational training is available in this rating during later stages of career development.

Course Title Location Calendar Days
AD Common Core Pensacola 30
AD Helo Strand Pensacola 10
AD Prop Strand Pensacola 10
AD Jet Strand Pensacola 10
All Students attend Common Core, then break off into individual strands.
Aviation basic theory and basic skills required for rating. Group instruction and practical application.

After "A" school, successful graduates are assigned to aviation squadrons, aircraft carriers or to other aviation capable ships, Naval Air Stations or other shore facilities in the United States or overseas. Technicians going to intermediate level maintenance facilities for their first assignment will attend advanced training after "A" School. Each time a technician is assigned to a new aircraft or equipment, more specific and advanced training will be given prior to reporting to respective aviation unit. During a 20-year period in the Navy, expect to spend about 40-50 percent assigned to fleet units and 60-50 percent to shore stations.

Working Environment: Aircrewmen may be assigned to sea or shore duty in any part of the world. When not airborne, they work in aircraft hangars, on flight decks, or on flight lines at naval air stations, usually around a high level of noise.

Opportunity Rating: Opportunity Rating:

E-1 to E-4 E-5 E-6
3 2 2
1 = Currently undermanned
2 = Currently manned at desired levels
3 = Currently overmanned

Note: Levels are as of 10 December 2003. Subject to change without notice.

Special Note: Rate Conversions not authorized above E-5.

This was from public.navy.mil

Aviation Machinist's Mate (AD)

Notes from the AD Detailing Team

As of 4 March 2013, the AD rating in pay grades E-6 thru E-7 are no longer eligible for the SDIP incentive. Refer to SDIP for additional information.
There are significant changes to CMS/ID and the process to how Sailors are selected for billets as advertised on CMS/ID. It is critical that you understand the new selection process. Please see NAVADMIN 226/12 for further information.
We have immediate openings for career enhancing billets for Recruit Divisions Commanders and Recruiters. There are substantial monetary and other benefits available for these Sailorization billets. Go to RDC and Recruiting for benefits and eligibility requirements.
Sailors interested in applying for Instructor Duty billets as advertised on CMS/ID should review MILPERSMAN articles 1306-900 (Assignment of Enlisted Personnel to Special Programs) and 1306-953 (Instructor Duty) for minimum eligibility requirements for assignment.
There are several changes to Fleet Ride PTS system. Refer to NAVADMIN 021/13 for changes.

Last edited by Caitlyn; 08-23-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: more information
Caitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark is on a distinguished road

"A school is in Pensacola, FL and you're only there for a month."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! You will be at NATTC for four to five months mate!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
Caitlyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTheShark View Post
"A school is in Pensacola, FL and you're only there for a month."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! You will be at NATTC for four to five months mate!

NATTC? And thank-you! I'll update that! But the sheet said that it's like 5 weeks Core and 2 weeks stem
<--still a depper
Old 08-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
YcleptNano

YcleptNano is on a distinguished road

See ya there.
YcleptNano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
USNADrs

USNADrs is on a distinguished road

I'm here at NATTC now. The wait for ADs to class up is 4 to 6 months. I'm fine with that because there is always something to do here!
USNADrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
bronxCTM

bronxCTM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNADrs View Post
I'm here at NATTC now. The wait for ADs to class up is 4 to 6 months. I'm fine with that because there is always something to do here!
That's what I like to hear! My A School is in Pensacola and the actual schooling will be 6~ months which doesn't include the class up time.
bronxCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
Caitlyn

Exclamation

I still don't understand "class up" and stuff. So what is the time period for AD A school?
Old 09-27-2013, 03:25 AM   #8
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Class up refers to waiting until there are enough people to fill your class. So you could be waiting a couple days or several weeks before you actually start a school.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Caitlyn

oh okay, makes sense. but the class itself is only like 4 weeks at Pensacola, right?

"It is literally true that you can succeed best and quickest by helping others succeed." -Napoleon Hill

Tags
aircraft, airdale, i level, o level, pensacola