NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AD = AVIATION MACHINISTS MATE

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-29-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
CityCop

CityCop is on a distinguished road
Default AD C School Reserves

Hey y'all! I'm a reservist here in A School for AD and I'm looking for clarification. I'm currently in indoc and nobody could really answer any of my questions with certainty at the moment. I'm trying to figure out if I'll have to attended C School after my A School and how long it would be. Any information would be great!
CityCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:04 PM   #2
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

I can’t give you a 100% definitive answer to this because it depends on so much. But I can give you an expert opinion... The AD rate technically doesn’t require an A-school (for SELRES). So, I’d say you were fortunate that your command allowed an A-school instead of sending you straight home out of boot. They usually send reservist to a-school because they DO want you to know your rate. But when it comes to C-school, my bet would be that they don’t want to spend that money. Depending on which C-School you want and the length of it it is possible that you can get orders for it next year. But that depends on a host of other things including your hard and/or soft billet, whether the money pot is full, etc.
Like I said, this isn’t a definitive answer. There are simply too many variables. But if I were a betting man I’d say, “No.”
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
CityCop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbazu View Post
I can’t give you a 100% definitive answer to this because it depends on so much. But I can give you an expert opinion... The AD rate technically doesn’t require an A-school (for SELRES). So, I’d say you were fortunate that your command allowed an A-school instead of sending you straight home out of boot. They usually send reservist to a-school because they DO want you to know your rate. But when it comes to C-school, my bet would be that they don’t want to spend that money. Depending on which C-School you want and the length of it it is possible that you can get orders for it next year. But that depends on a host of other things including your hard and/or soft billet, whether the money pot is full, etc.
Like I said, this isn’t a definitive answer. There are simply too many variables. But if I were a betting man I’d say, “No.”
Thanks for the reply! The truth is I don't want to go to a C School, not right now at least. I have some stuff going on at home and I'm trying to get through my initial training as soon as I can. Although I really like it here in Pensacola, family comes first. Plus I'm losing more money than I planned being away from work this long. I'm sure if I make it known with my command that I don't want to attend C School they're probably not going to force me to right?
Old 02-04-2018, 07:55 PM   #4
Barbazu

I wouldn’t think so. If I know the Navy Reserve - and I’m pretty sure I do - they’ll jump at the chance to bring you home. It costs a lot of money to keep you in school. And the Navy is broke. I would contact the Chief Career Counselor at your NOSC and chat with them about it.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
CityCop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbazu View Post
I wouldn’t think so. If I know the Navy Reserve - and I’m pretty sure I do - they’ll jump at the chance to bring you home. It costs a lot of money to keep you in school. And the Navy is broke. I would contact the Chief Career Counselor at your NOSC and chat with them about it.
Ok so I contacted my NOSC and spoke to the PS3 there. She was super helpful and told me that C School is definitely not mandatory and she instructed me to bring the issue to my chain of command here. I spoke to my Chief and to my AD1 about my issues back home and not only are they going to take me to the detailer on Monday to get it worked out where I would either not go to C School at all or do it at a later date but Chief is looking into getting me possible backpay for my time in service for BAH. Apparently even if your not married, if you maintain a residence back home and are a reservist on Active Duty you could be entitled BAH!
Old 02-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
Barbazu

You should definitely be getting some sort of BAH. It may not be the full BAH with dependents, but you should get partial - at least. Glad that a PS3 was able to assist you (I’m a PS3, too. Haha). I’m also glad to hear that your CoC is being so helpful. Cherish that! You never know when your chief is gonna change and everything goes sour. My chief recently changed and it actually got way better.

Hope everything works out for you on the home front. Military service + relationships = chaos in a lot of circumstances. That’s been true for me, anyway. I’m about to go on orders for an extended amount of time and my wife is livid. Haha! I was voluntold for this one by a CDR so I didn’t really have any choice. Anyway, I’m rambling. Good luck, shipmate!
Old 02-17-2018, 07:52 PM   #7
CityCop

Thanks again PS3 and yes I'm very grateful to have positive, quality leadership. Back home I'm a Police Officer and I'm dealing with very toxic leadership so having someone look out for me is very different haha! Good luck on your orders!
Old 03-27-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
Wes272

Wes272 is on a distinguished road

Depending on your platform, you may be required to go to C school. Somethings have to be taught before you touch the Aircraft.
Wes272 is offline   Reply With Quote