NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AD = AVIATION MACHINISTS MATE

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
VenPalmer

VenPalmer is on a distinguished road
Default Any active duty AD, what's it like being you?

Due to some botched paperwork I now find myself contracted to be an aviation machinists mate. I don't mind the change but I find myself wondering what it's like. What's the day to day like? What's the best/worst part of the job? Any special programs or something that an AD can do to or apply to do to make themselves stand out? Do you have a specialty or do we work on a verity of things? Any insider information would be just spiffy.
VenPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
cire

cire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenPalmer View Post
Due to some botched paperwork I now find myself contracted to be an aviation machinists mate. I don't mind the change but I find myself wondering what it's like. What's the day to day like? What's the best/worst part of the job? Any special programs or something that an AD can do to or apply to do to make themselves stand out? Do you have a specialty or do we work on a verity of things? Any insider information would be just spiffy.
If you don't want that rate, then don't do it. Ask to have it changed.

Quote:
mack_it_nasty: my boyfriend wouldnt like that gee.
geeMA: the hell? you told me you were single. lol
mack_it_nasty: oh did i...
geeMA: i got trolled
cire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
VenPalmer

VenPalmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire View Post
If you don't want that rate, then don't do it. Ask to have it changed.
As I said I'm alright with this change, I would just like some more information from someone on the inside. I already know the jist of it.
VenPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
USNADrs

USNADrs is on a distinguished road

From what I have been told by my old recruiter who is an AS and worked close to AD's...he said that AD's have a relatively laid back job. But,it' not easy all the time. Sometimes you work non stop for a couple months and you will have other times where you will not have parts to fix an aircraft. Thus, creating down time. But,I am sure if you have down time from your rate you will be cleaning the ship or wherever you are. My current recruiter who is an 8 year nuke said that AD's are known as lazy. I do not know if this helped you, but this is all of the information I have. I picked this rate because of the opportunities it brings after the Navy. A friend of mine who was an AD from 1995-2007 got a job at Rolls-Royce making close to $100,000/year.
USNADrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
johnplisac32
**Active Duty**

johnplisac32 is on a distinguished road

ad sounds like a great job thats what i want to swithch my rate to i hope one opens up i put in a dar to change rates
Old 01-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
ADbait09

ADbait09 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNADrs View Post
From what I have been told by my old recruiter who is an AS and worked close to AD's...he said that AD's have a relatively laid back job. But,it' not easy all the time. Sometimes you work non stop for a couple months and you will have other times where you will not have parts to fix an aircraft. Thus, creating down time. But,I am sure if you have down time from your rate you will be cleaning the ship or wherever you are. My current recruiter who is an 8 year nuke said that AD's are known as lazy. I do not know if this helped you, but this is all of the information I have. I picked this rate because of the opportunities it brings after the Navy. A friend of mine who was an AD from 1995-2007 got a job at Rolls-Royce making close to $100,000/year.
how did he find a job like that?
ADbait09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADbait09 View Post
how did he find a job like that?
There are jobs out there for a lot of people in the military but people seem to assume you will get out and make a ton of money. That's just not the case. A lot of people make connections while in the military and that's how they get jobs. A lot of people also work for the government but a lot of that has gone away with the budget cuts and all.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
TrustnDatThrust

TrustnDatThrust is on a distinguished road

Active Duty Mech (AD) here; on my phone and the internet is stellarly horrible so if you wanna' have any of your questions answered go ahead and give me a call or text me mate. 240-382-7719

Also, most of what was posted about Mechs on here is bloody bullshit aha. Don't let it influence your attitude mate. I truly love our rate.
TrustnDatThrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
Caitlyn

Caitlyn is on a distinguished road

I joined a facebook group called "Aviation Machinist Mate(AD)". It has over 1k current and veteran ADs. I've gotten so much advice and such from them. There is so much more you'll find out there than on any AD page I've found. Plus, ask any question and they'll reply almost instantly. If there's anything you want to know, message me. I'm a future AD too, I ship out Feb 11th. Who knows, maybe I'll see you at A School.

"It is literally true that you can succeed best and quickest by helping others succeed." -Napoleon Hill

Caitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #10
ADbait09

what is better to work on in personal opinions, jets or helo's?
Old 02-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #11
TrustnDatThrust

It all depends. If you are going Jets chances are you will be doing O-level maintenance. And you can really only go to a select number of locations. Though doing maintenance on Turbojet engines is a stellar experience. Especially if you're trying to get out after 4 years.

If you choose Helos, you could either be doing I or O-level maintenance. You can go to a few more locations than jets. You'll have some extra learning to do.

It's hard for me to say really. I've only ever worked on Jets. I'm happy with my decision if that counts for anything.

~ Active Duty AD
Old 02-19-2014, 11:09 PM   #12
ADbait09

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustnDatThrust View Post
It all depends. If you are going Jets chances are you will be doing O-level maintenance. And you can really only go to a select number of locations. Though doing maintenance on Turbojet engines is a stellar experience. Especially if you're trying to get out after 4 years.

If you choose Helos, you could either be doing I or O-level maintenance. You can go to a few more locations than jets. You'll have some extra learning to do.

It's hard for me to say really. I've only ever worked on Jets. I'm happy with my decision if that counts for anything.

~ Active Duty AD
At first I was set on jets but I have a feeling i might like the helos as well... Im looking to be stationed overseas hopefully spain or italy
Old 02-20-2014, 04:32 AM   #13
TrustnDatThrust

Talk to your instructors while you are at A-School. Literally ask them "what do I need to choose in order to have the best shot at getting _______ location" and they can tell you. Nothing is guaranteed but they see everyone orders all the time, they know what will get you where most likely.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #14
ADbait09

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustnDatThrust View Post
Talk to your instructors while you are at A-School. Literally ask them "what do I need to choose in order to have the best shot at getting _______ location" and they can tell you. Nothing is guaranteed but they see everyone orders all the time, they know what will get you where most likely.
ok that sounds easy enough. I appreciate the info!
Old 03-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #15
USNADrs

USNADrs is on a distinguished road

I'll give an update on my career as an AD. I am stationed at MCAS Miramar with VMFAT-101 Sharpshooters. Yes,I am Navy at a Marine command. Being Navy at a Marine command was hard to deal with at first. Because almost every Marine wants everything done their way...even LCPL's! What I do at 101...PMU/PON6,PITS, and shadow PC's.PMU/PON6 is the "bitch" work. It is where you service the jets during pre-flight operations and once they are back from their mission. You carry around a 40lb container either filled with hyd-fluid or engine oil. It's tough at first and you will be drained. You have to learn the MSP codes of the jet. You only need to worry about 980-984. PITS is where you hot-fuel a jet. That means you taxi a jet into the fueling lane and fuel it with both engines running. There are a TON of quals I am working on...Brake Rider,NAN Cart,Tug,Huffer,NC-10, and the 108. Along with all of that I am also working on getting my PC and my wings. It's a tough job being a new AD at a command but I love it. Everyday I am working on jets. If you have an questions message me!
USNADrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #16
ADbait09

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNADrs View Post
I'll give an update on my career as an AD. I am stationed at MCAS Miramar with VMFAT-101 Sharpshooters. Yes,I am Navy at a Marine command. Being Navy at a Marine command was hard to deal with at first. Because almost every Marine wants everything done their way...even LCPL's! What I do at 101...PMU/PON6,PITS, and shadow PC's.PMU/PON6 is the "bitch" work. It is where you service the jets during pre-flight operations and once they are back from their mission. You carry around a 40lb container either filled with hyd-fluid or engine oil. It's tough at first and you will be drained. You have to learn the MSP codes of the jet. You only need to worry about 980-984. PITS is where you hot-fuel a jet. That means you taxi a jet into the fueling lane and fuel it with both engines running. There are a TON of quals I am working on...Brake Rider,NAN Cart,Tug,Huffer,NC-10, and the 108. Along with all of that I am also working on getting my PC and my wings. It's a tough job being a new AD at a command but I love it. Everyday I am working on jets. If you have an questions message me!
yea that sounds pretty rough
Old 10-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #17
louis8542

louis8542 is on a distinguished road

I am not sure you will see this message since the date you wrote in 2014, I would like to know more about AD. Hope you can help me out of this.
Thanks.
louis8542 is offline   Reply With Quote