NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AD = AVIATION MACHINISTS MATE

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
Wes272

Wes272 is on a distinguished road
Default Aviation Machinist Mate

Hello again all! I have been hearing a lot lately about people having to be on hold while they are awaiting their security clearance once they get to A-school. Do ADs have to get Security clearance approval to just go in the Classroom? I see the rate initially does not require a clearance, but i'm sure at some point i'll be required to obtain one which isn't a problem, I'm just more curious on whether A-school will require me to have one, as I know some rates cannot even enter the classroom without it. Thanks in advance for your insight!
Wes272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't need any clearance to begin training.

You may get one once you get to your eventual command, but that's only if you're going to be working with classified material. Nothing about the mechanical workings of these aircraft are really classified. Hell, most of the maintenance publications and NATOPS guides for these aircraft are available online to anyone.

Keep in mind too that being investigated and/or cleared for a clearance doesn't actually give you access to any classified material. You still need to be authorized by your SSO and have a valid "need to know" to access any classified material. So they may conduct an investigation on you, but that doesn't mean you'll actually need/get access to anything.

/r
CTT1
Old 02-17-2016, 05:39 AM   #3
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Just as a point of reference, it took all of three days for me to get a clearance. It's not always a long process.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:42 AM   #4
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Mostly depends on the command. Nearly everyone gets the general Secret clearance and they add on to that on a case by case basis. For instance, Top Secret is given to quite a few people at my command even though it's rarely used. It took me 6 months to get my TS as well.

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
Wes272

Wes272 is on a distinguished road

Thank you guys for your answers! I seriously doubt I will get a top secret for anything during my first enlistment though.
Wes272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:36 PM   #6
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

You never know ;) I didn't think I would ever get one until I got my orders to where I am now right out of A-school. We get new ADs here every once in awhile.

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote