NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Special Warfare > ND = NAVY DIVER

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
ND

ND is on a distinguished road
Default Tips on boot camp and dive prep?

Hey, I'm new to this forum. I got my Navy Diver contract back in February, and my ship date is June 9th. I've been working out diligently with my friend who's shipping the same day as me (he also has a Navy diver contract). I just ordered rocket fins, dive boots, and a snorkel. So I'll definitely be working on water comfort and treading, along with calisthenics and running.

I wanted to see if anyone on this forum has been through an 800 Division at boot camp and is in or has completed dive prep, and if they can provide me with some tips that can be utilized.

Thanks, and it's wonderful being on these forums!
Old 04-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Boot camp was easy, even in an 800 div. you'll get up early and do some extra pt, mostly stroke development and running. Use the pipes in the laundry drying room to do pull ups at night. Buy a 25 lb plate and tread while holding it to your chest, you'll do that a good bit in prep. Just spend a lot of time in the water, get super comfortable... And then spend more time in there. Once in prep start practicing your IWPs, that is what gets most people. We had 21 in our class, 1 med drop and 12 failures. The 8 people who made it to dive school all graduated, prep is where they weed people out.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:02 AM   #3
ND

Okay. I've heard about the 25lb tread in prep, how long do you have to do it for? Two minutes? And as for IWPs, how can I get to that level? I know doing a ton of flutter kicks with rocket fins helps, and doing different treads like hands out with head above the water for ten minutes with fins, and different stuff with weight. I can do a tread for five minutes with a ten pound diving block over my head, though my head is leaned back in the water.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Tread, tread, and tread some more. Tread with that 25 lb weight, if you don't you will regret it. I did a lot of work with the 10 lb block and it doesn't cut it at all. You will get a sheet with iwp instructions when you first get to prep, we would do dry runs in our rooms with each other to get everything down, they have to be 100% perfect. What got most of us who didn't make it is the treading and just getting flustered with what to do. 95% of the ones who didn't make it failed iwp. Just relax, the more you practice the more natural it becomes.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #5
ND

Okay, I will make sure to take a 25lb plate with me to the pool each day and work my ass off treading with that and fins. Is there any specific pass/fail test related to treading without fins as well? And if so, what is that like?

Also, I've just bought a snorkel and such. I know there are gonna be specific water evolutions like mask clearing, snorkeling, and underwaters. Tell me about those if you can.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
frosty1823

frosty1823 is on a distinguished road

hi, my son is in diver prep school right now & just wondering if there is any special way to practice treading with holding a 25 lbs. plate.... how long does he have to do this in order to pass treading?
thanks.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #7
FutureND
**Active Duty**

Just hold it on your chest with both arms crossed on top of it, shoot for 4-5 mins. If he's already at dive prep it won't be long till he starts doing it. I'm sure the guys from the classes ahead of him can help him out if he asks.
Closed Thread