NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Master-at-Arms B640

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
mia

mia is on a distinguished road
Default MA Rating Info

Attached are the MA rating info sheets...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MA.pdf (1,020.1 KB, 260 views)
File Type: doc MA.doc (41.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: pdf ma_06_11.pdf (31.5 KB, 78 views)

It takes a long time to make an old friend.

Last edited by Craig; 04-22-2012 at 12:14 PM.
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
BoomSauce

BoomSauce is on a distinguished road

thank you for the info! Tell me how bad was the pepper spray to the face?
BoomSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
butterbean

butterbean is on a distinguished road

Derek (logicalchaos) can tell you how the OC spray is. I'm sure it's not all that bad. I have to get it too, and I'm not even going to be an MP (MA)

My life moto now: FIDO "F*** it, Drive On"
butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Kim

Kim is on a distinguished road

I'll send Derek this way. He hated it.... but I'll let him give you the details!
Old 02-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
BoomSauce

awesome lol. thank you
Old 02-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Logicalchaos02

Logicalchaos02 is on a distinguished road

Saying I hated it is a far understatement lol. It feels like the devil is pissing into your eyes while a million darts full of acid are being poked on your face. Hows that? The spray isnt so bad during the course cuz you have to concentrate and fight through the pain. But once you end the course and you stand around, that is what sux. The pain last for like 45 mins to a hour and a half. And then the stuff is water activated, so when you wash your face, it hurts even worse the second time! The pain doesnt last as long the second time but it still hurts like hell!
Logicalchaos02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
glennsmom

glennsmom is on a distinguished road

My son concurs. I asked him and his first response was he couldn't explain it. Then I read your response and he said, yeah, that's it.

PIR 6/9/06
NCS - Active Reserves 11/07
MA2

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God" Phil 4:6
glennsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
BoomSauce

this sounds like fun. Can't wait
Old 02-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
Kim

Kim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomSauce View Post
this sounds like fun. Can't wait
Ha ha I'm sure you'll be find. Remember mind over matter!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
woodyj87

woodyj87 is on a distinguished road
Talking

does MA get or need a security clearance
woodyj87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyj87 View Post
I do know they need at least a Secret clearance, and for some jobs once you promote higher may required higher, especailly if over seas assignment.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #12
MA.Bitler

MA.Bitler is on a distinguished road

yes MA's get a security clearance, its just basic though, not top secret or anything. Its just a bunch of paperwork when you get to your first duty station. It was that way for me at least.
MA.Bitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
MA.Bitler

Default pepper spray...

OC SUCKS! below this thread in the MA forum i posted some pics of when i got sprayed in A school. (i titled it - A School was awesome) one of the worst times of my life! but all in all, school was a lot of fun.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
TrooperTaff

TrooperTaff is on a distinguished road

I'm really hoping I get an MA rating. I see my recruiter tomaro and I'm going to tell him MA or I'm postponing till I can get the rating. My buddy is in the airforce for Security Forces and said the OC spray was hell lol
TrooperTaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
Logicalchaos02

When I was in MA was not all that great. I loved being military police but now I kind of wish I would have chosen another rate. It is really hard to move up as a MA and the rate is so backstabbing its crazy! But everyone told me the same thing and I still did it and I loved it! You just have to watch out for number one, no one is your friend when you are an MA. But good luck and I hope all goes well!

Live free or die hard.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #16
TrooperTaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicalchaos02 View Post
When I was in MA was not all that great. I loved being military police but now I kind of wish I would have chosen another rate. It is really hard to move up as a MA and the rate is so backstabbing its crazy! But everyone told me the same thing and I still did it and I loved it! You just have to watch out for number one, no one is your friend when you are an MA. But good luck and I hope all goes well!
I wanna get a good base and back round for my future law enforcement career lol but what do you mean "backstabbing"? and no one is your friend?? lol
Old 06-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #17
MA.Bitler

MA's always seem like they're against everyone, even their co workers... im a very friendly person, i thought i had a lot of friends, but i was used, talked about, and a lot of negative shit went on. I did like the job, i just hated doing it for the military. Law enforcement is great, but a lot of bases do anti terrorism force protection, and you dont do much police work, so keep that in mind too.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #18
KI4LMW

KI4LMW is on a distinguished road

Reading this just makes me really anxious and edgy... OC Spray, I'm sure I can get over.. Feeling like everyone is backstabbing, not sure how to take that one. o.O
KI4LMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
Logicalchaos02

It just sucks when you are at a base and you think you build up this friendship with your fellow MA's and then when something goes down, no one has your back. If you are not buddy buddy with your Chief or First class, you are going to get sucky evals, thats just the way it works being a MA. As far as not doing much police work, it just depends on the base you are at. I did anti terrorism stuff and police work, it just depended what post I was on that day.

Live free or die hard.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #20
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicalchaos02 View Post
It just sucks when you are at a base and you think you build up this friendship with your fellow MA's and then when something goes down, no one has your back.
I'm not going MA, but I am former law enforcement... when you say nobody has your back, are you talking administratively, like someone f**ks up and all your buddies throw you under the bus? Or do you literally mean when shit goes down on the street, nobody comes to back you up on a call?

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #21
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Haasino, I am pretty sure what both of them mean is if things go bad, YOU will be thrown under the bus, so to speak. You need to remember, everyone is looking out for number one, themselves, others dont want anything bad on their evals or file to screw up their careers. Unfortunetly, it will be that way in EVERY rate in the navy, so be prepared... If you need backup on a call they will be there, to do their job, thats about it.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #22
Logicalchaos02

I just mean administratively, on the streets everyone wants action so they will be there in a heart beat. But when it comes down to eval time or when something goes wrong, if you do not have friends in high places, you are screwed.

Live free or die hard.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #23
OS2Garza

OS2Garza is on a distinguished road
Default Sec clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyj87 View Post
yes they do dependant on what they are doing for their duty assignment.
OS2Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #24
Logicalchaos02

You have to get a secret clearance but if you guard the nukes then you have to get a top secret.

Live free or die hard.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:55 AM   #25
TrooperTaff

what kind of training/screening/processing do you have to endure for Top Secret?

Beachmaster Unit One -Coronado, CA
Old 06-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #26
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrooperTaff View Post
what kind of training/screening/processing do you have to endure for Top Secret?
It's the same SF-86 background packet you filled out for a Secret Clearance, but with a few of the sections going back 10 years instead of 7. For a Secret, they generally just check national and local law enforcement databases for law violations or police contacts and check your credit... if there's something odd about your work history, they might call your employers to verify what you put.

For Top Secret, they do all that, plus you will met in-person with a background investigator who will go over your packet with you and ask additional questions... that investigator will then talk in-person to your family, neighbors, teachers, classmates, and visit each of your past workplaces to talk to former coworkers and bosses. The investigator will also talk to the friends you listed as references in your SF-86, but they know you would only list positive references, so they'll generally just note what they say and then ask that reference for several other references not listed whom they can track down and talk to.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #27
TrooperTaff

That's intense

Beachmaster Unit One -Coronado, CA
Old 08-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #28
F/S-MARodriguez

F/S-MARodriguez is on a distinguished road
Question Tons of Master At Arms questions

I've got a few questions about MA's if ya'll got the time to answer them.

1- What exactly does an MA do? I've read the list of responsibilities on about.com about 200 times and still don't get it.

2- On ships, do we just stand around guarding areas and standing watch? Or, do we respond to disturbances such as contraband reports, fights, etc. etc.

3- At CONUS and OCONUS bases that are generally not in a war zone or near one (Spain, Italy, Greece) do we assume the duties of a civilian police officer or do we stand around a gate?

4- In the event we are deployed to a war zone or near one (Afghanistan, Bahrain) what would our job there entail?

6- Is the MA rate everything you thought it would be? For example, I've got the mentality that at times, it will be menial work guarding posts and areas watching paint dry and grass grows. I also understand that as I advance, I will get more responsibility such as law-enforcement and things of the sort.

7- If you could go back to the minute you chose your rate, all things equal, would you have chosen a different rate? If so, would it be because you hate the MA rate, or because you find the other rate much cooler/better?

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions. If these have been asked and answered before, I apologize (I used the search function, I promise!). I believe future MA's after myself could also use this information.
F/S-MARodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #29
glennsmom

glennsmom is on a distinguished road

My son is a MA2 in the reserves now but when active he did patrols of the base he was assigned at. In reserves if deployed to a war zone they usually do detainee ops (jailors), or can provide personal security to visiting dignitaries. To the best of my knowledge very few MAs serve on ships.

PIR 6/9/06
NCS - Active Reserves 11/07
MA2

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God" Phil 4:6
glennsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #30
Logicalchaos02

1. MA's do a lot depending on the base you go to. The base I was stationed at I was military police and I stood guard duty. You will be a police officer, sentry at a gate, detainee ops (guard prisoners). You will do all the things a police officer will do depending on the base you are at.
2.I was never stationed on a ship but MA's do not go on ships to often. But from what I am told, you dont do very much.
3. CONUS bases you mostly do police work, OCONUS bases you will do both.
4. 99.9% you will no be deployed to a war zone, you have to choose to go as a Master at Arms. But you will do whatever they tell you to.
5. The job really wasnt what I thought it would be. I thought I would be doing all law enforcement but that wasnt case. I still loved the job but there is a lot more to being a MA then just law enforcement.
6. With all things considered I still would have been a MA. I loved the job and I loved the people I worked with. I think the only reason I would have picked differently knowing what I know now is that MA's get sent to bases that familys cannot go to more often than other rates. So if I would have known that, I still would have been a MA .

Live free or die hard.