NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp > Challenge Coins

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation
Default ~ The USS Triton - Ship 12 challenge coin ~

USS Triton Ship -12.................... Release June 15, 2012
USS John F. Kennedy Ship-9......Release July 15, 2012
USS Chicago Ship-7................... Release August 15, 2012

Here is the story for the Ship 12 USS Triton:
Ship 12 USS Triton Chapter 1 of 4
Ship 12 USS Triton Chapter 2 of 4
Ship 12 USS Triton Chapter 3 of 4
Ship 12 USS Triton Chapter 4 of 4

Last edited by Craig; 08-10-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
MizzouNavy

MizzouNavy is on a distinguished road

Is there a projected date for all coins or just these three now, specifically would be interested in Ship 2 - USS Rueben James
MizzouNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
phractus

phractus is on a distinguished road

I will notify friends and family and have them get one for me after basic. Great way to start a Naval challenge coin collection!
phractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Nice Craig!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
FormerMarine

FormerMarine is on a distinguished road
Default Excellent

Great waiting to hear what ship he is assigned to.
Thanks Craig,
Semper Fi
Rick

Last edited by Craig; 07-09-2012 at 10:14 PM.
FormerMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
jphillky67

jphillky67 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Challenge Coins

I have access to tons of Navy moms and dads with kids currently in boot camp. I will absolutely pass this along to them. They are always asking about a PIR gift and I cannot think of a more perfect gift. I am anxious to see the Ship 11, USS Kearsage.

Thanks so much for this!
jphillky67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
CookieGVB

CookieGVB is on a distinguished road

Just received the Triton coin today - it is beautiful - the photos almost don't do it justice. I'm sure my son will love it - almost as much as he'll enjoy the challenge aspect of it.
CookieGVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
haup9

haup9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouNavy View Post
Is there a projected date for all coins or just these three now, specifically would be interested in Ship 2 - USS Rueben James
We are interested in this coin as well. We just got our "letter" today and our SR PIR's on 9/7/12. Any chance we can have one in hand to present to him??
haup9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haup9 View Post
We are interested in this coin as well. We just got our "letter" today and our SR PIR's on 9/7/12. Any chance we can have one in hand to present to him??
They will not present it to him. Only you can present it to him.

The USS Chicago Ship 7 is getting minted now

I am now designing the USS Kearsarge Ship 11.

The company, PIRGifts, is really easy to work with. So, I will find out what one they want me to do next. I will
bend their ear to make the USS Reuben James Ship 2 higher on their list. I'm not really sure their game plan, but
I do have a lot of pull with them.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
haup9

Thanks Craig!!! Anything you can do to help us out getting one would be awesome!!! I know that our SR is interested in challenge coins and I think this would be an awesome graduation present for him!!

I wish I would have thought to start a company based on PIRgifts!! That is a gold mine just waiting to be dug up I think!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #11
FormerMarine

FormerMarine is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up USS Triton Challenge Coin

Hey Craig,
Nice looking coin, bought one for my sailor who is at Great Lakes RTC and is assigned to the USS Triton, I am going to give him his first challenge coin after his PIR.

Semper Fi
Rick

Last edited by Craig; 08-11-2012 at 05:48 PM.
FormerMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
WStake

WStake is on a distinguished road
Smile USS Kearsarge Ship 11.

Love the looks of the USS Triton cannot wait to see the USS Kearsarge. To be honest I did not know they had ship names that went with the number. Our son is in Ship 11 USS Kearsarge and he PIR's 09/07/2012! Hope to be able to hand him a coin on that day. Thanks for doing this I think it is a wonderful idea!
WStake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:17 AM   #13
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WStake View Post
Love the looks of the USS Triton cannot wait to see the USS Kearsarge. To be honest I did not know they had ship names that went with the number. Our son is in Ship 11 USS Kearsarge and he PIR's 09/07/2012! Hope to be able to hand him a coin on that day. Thanks for doing this I think it is a wonderful idea!
I'm having problems with the Kearsarge since it is actually base on four ships. The engraver has sent this back to me 3 times now. The coin is only 1 3/4 inch, and I really like telling the whole story. So I have to redesign it yet again to get it the way it should be....I think I can have it ready by Sept 7th. Since 80% of the design is already finished.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
WStake

WStake is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I'm having problems with the Kearsarge since it is actually base on four ships. The engraver has sent this back to me 3 times now. The coin is only 1 3/4 inch, and I really like telling the whole story. So I have to redesign it yet again to get it the way it should be....I think I can have it ready by Sept 7th. Since 80% of the design is already finished.
I bet you are having a hard time with the USS Kearsarge. After I found out about Ship 11 USS Kearsarge I googled it, to learn more about it. Now I am even more excited to see what you come up with. Good Luck!
WStake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

If you do one for Ship 03 USS Hopper, I would definitely order one.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #16
Laworlo

Laworlo is on a distinguished road

I agree with you Guppy. I was in the USS Hopper as well...compartment D-01! Thanks Craig...those are awesome!
Laworlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #17
sandra

sandra is on a distinguished road

Hey Craig, I'm also looking forward to seeing Ship 11. Any update on completion? And once complete, where can I purchase?
sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #18
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra View Post
Hey Craig, I'm also looking forward to seeing Ship 11. Any update on completion? And once complete, where can I purchase?
Hey Sandra - The USS Kearsarge is a really difficult coin for me. The reason is it has 4 different ships it's name for. It's really had to put four things in a coin that is only 1 3/4 inch. I am trying to figure out something that will mean things to the sailors. I am a perfectionist and have to have everything correct. I actually have about 80 percent of the coin done. I just need to figure out the 4 ship thing.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #19
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Craig how about the enterprise?
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:28 AM   #20
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

I'm gonna be excited when ship 02 USS Reuben James comes out, that was my ship in boot. Can't wait to see what you come up with for all the coins!
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #21
Carolyn

Carolyn is on a distinguished road

Just got my daughter's address today and I'm excited to get one of Ship 11
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #22
Craig
Administrator

Kristin - 1st off Congrats..... I know....
Next, sadly the Enterprise will probably one of the very lasts one made. It hasn't been used in over a year. The company wants me to make them as they are used. If I don't then they won't make anymore of these coins. So I need to make them so they sell them, so they continue to make the others.

Carolyn - The Kearsarge will be going to the engraver soon. I think what I came up with was pretty cool. Now my part is done for now. They will make a hand carved mold, and print 5 unhardened coins. Then I will either approve them or reject them. Once I approve them, then it's all out of my hands. PIRGifts takes over. All I do then is make the document for it. It was so hard to get the meaning of that coin. But I like it....

prop - I still am working that Reuben James coin. That too is a hard one. It just has too many sailors working the performance division.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #23
vabchsue

vabchsue is on a distinguished road

And how about one for Ship 13 - Marvin G. Shields who was the first and only Seabee to receive the Medal of Honor for his action in Vietnam. He posthumously received the Medal of Honor on September 13, 1966?
vabchsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #24
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabchsue View Post
And how about one for Ship 13 - Marvin G. Shields who was the first and only Seabee to receive the Medal of Honor for his action in Vietnam. He posthumously received the Medal of Honor on September 13, 1966?
I've got that one started. The ship (barrack) was actually named for Knox-class frigate FF-1066 which served 1971 to 1992. The ship's namesake was Constructionman 3rd class Marvin Shields. Sadly, there is only a couple pictures of this sailor.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #25
vabchsue

vabchsue is on a distinguished road

Thanks Craig. And I'll say it again - you're the best! I also know what you're going to say in reply and I'm still going to come back with a "CRAIG!!!" like I've done before.
vabchsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #26
DevilDoc Mom

DevilDoc Mom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They will not present it to him. Only you can present it to him.

The USS Chicago Ship 7 is getting minted now

I am now designing the USS Kearsarge Ship 11.

The company, PIRGifts, is really easy to work with. So, I will find out what one they want me to do next. I will
bend their ear to make the USS Reuben James Ship 2 higher on their list. I'm not really sure their game plan, but
I do have a lot of pull with them.
Can't wait to see the coin for Ship 11. This was my son's ship when at Great Lakes last year. Is there a date set for it's release?
DevilDoc Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #27
Soon to be ABE

Soon to be ABE is on a distinguished road

Craig how do i get this coin i just graduated today and i was in the USS TRITON
Soon to be ABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #28
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon to be ABE View Post
Craig how do i get this coin i just graduated today and i was in the USS TRITON
ABE - I just design them and quality control them. I have rejected so many so far because I don't like how they look. Luckily, the company is allowing me to do this. The company, called PIRGifts, actually sells them on Ebay. Just go to Ebay and type USS Triton Ship 12 and it will come up.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #29
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDoc Mom View Post
Can't wait to see the coin for Ship 11. This was my son's ship when at Great Lakes last year. Is there a date set for it's release?
It will be released next month. I had to reject the design since they forgot to put the "T" in Commitment. Here is what a coin looks like that is hand edged (cut). This is the last step before they actually print 10 samples with color. You can see the mold is gold, when the coin is actually stuck it's silver. You can see the "T" is missing.

The USS Arizona Ship 14 is finally getting released next Monday, Sept 24th. Here is what it will look like.
I think it came out real nice. It funny when you see them in gold they look terrible, but when it if finally
made silver and painted it comes out really nice.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #30
DevilDoc Mom

Quote:
It will be released next month. I had to reject the design since they forgot to put the "T" in Commitment. Here is what a coin looks like that is hand edged (cut). This is the last step before they actually print 10 samples with color. You can see the mold is gold, when the coin is actually stuck it's silver. You can see the "T" is missing.

The USS Arizona Ship 14 is finally getting released next Monday, Sept 24th. Here is what it will look like.
I think it came out real nice. It funny when you see them in gold they look terrible, but when it if finally
made silver and painted it comes out really nice.
Thanks Craig! I'm looking forward to it's release- plan on using it as part of my son's Christmas.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #31
haup9

Craig is there any update on the Reuben James coin? Really looking forward to seeing what you came up with from all of the suggestions on N4M...can't find the link to that anymore tho.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #32
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Craig is there any update on the Reuben James coin? Really looking forward to seeing what you came up with from all of the suggestions on N4M...can't find the link to that anymore tho.
Sorry about that, I thought you saw it in the Challenge coin section.
Here is what it looks like. It came out nice.
They are currently selling it on Ebay. Here is the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140856957736

btw: You can see all the different coins I came up with if you click the link that says "See sellers other items". They are
selling the all now.
I actually just finished the USS Marvin Shields Ship 13, and now working on the USS Hopper Ship 3 now. PIRGifts keeps hassling me
to get them done.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #33
haup9

Thanks for the link Craig. I know you have a ton on your plate and I appreciate the assistance. I wanted to let you know there is a 900 Division Facebook page that the coin has been posted to. I imagine they will see sales skyrocket on that coin now. LOL.

I mentioned you the page to since you designed them. Here is a link to the page if you want to join it. https://www.facebook.com/groups/900Division/
Old 10-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #34
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for the link Craig. I know you have a ton on your plate and I appreciate the assistance. I wanted to let you know there is a 900 Division Facebook page that the coin has been posted to. I imagine they will see sales skyrocket on that coin now. LOL.

I mentioned you the page to since you designed them. Here is a link to the page if you want to join it. https://www.facebook.com/groups/900Division/
Thanks for the link. I always wonder what people think of the coin.
I've been so busy trying to get the last coins done, so I won't be there for a while. I just finished the USS Marvin Shields Ship 13. I think the Seabee with the Medal of Honor will really look cool. I tell you these dang coins take so dang long to make, since I have to make the 3D effect on them. Each area of the coin has a different level (there are 6 levels) and each has to have a different numbered (1 thru 6) assigned to it to make the 3D effect and to make the coin look cool. All of them look cool to me, but then again, what else am I suppose to think? Can you imagine me saying they looked really bad? ~ha.....
One thing for sure, these coins will last a lot longer than a water bottle or a t-shirt. I want the new sailors to have them forever... I want their kids to say "boy, that's cool".

I appreciate any mention of them (the coins). I really want to keep NavyDEP running and with PIRGifts help, I know I can.

Last edited by Craig; 10-13-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #35
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for doing this Craig.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #36
DevilDoc Mom

Craig- They look great! Can't wait to get the USS Kearsarge Coin- ordered it today. It will be part of my son's Christmas this year. Where can I get the story that goes with the coin? Looking forward to reading about the ship's history. Thanks for all the work you put into these coins!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #37
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Craig- They look great! Can't wait to get the USS Kearsarge Coin- ordered it today. It will be part of my son's Christmas this year. Where can I get the story that goes with the coin? Looking forward to reading about the ship's history. Thanks for all the work you put into these coins!
DevilDoc - I'd love to get the stories going. I actually enjoy writing them. However, I need to design all the boot camp coins before I can write the stories behind them. They want the coins designed 1st.

So, the Kearsarge will be written, I just don't know when. I still need the USS Shields, USS Hopper, and the USS Burke done 1st.... but I will have a story written. I want the deppers/sailors to understand the meaning of their ship.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #38
DevilDoc Mom

Quote:
DevilDoc - I'd love to get the stories going. I actually enjoy writing them. However, I need to design all the boot camp coins before I can write the stories behind them. They want the coins designed 1st.

So, the Kearsarge will be written, I just don't know when. I still need the USS Shields, USS Hopper, and the USS Burke done 1st.... but I will have a story written. I want the deppers/sailors to understand the meaning of their ship.
Thank Craig. I got the coin in the mail today & it looks great! You did a fantastic job on the design. Good luck with the remaining coins!
Old 10-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #39
Craig
Administrator

All - Hey guys wanted to let you know some interesting news. The company I have been designing the Navy boot camp challenge coins for has ask that I become a partner.

Now that I have only one challenge coin to complete, Ship-2, and after much consideration, I have decided to become part of their company.

Now that I'm almost done, I can spend more time here. I really miss the old days talking to you guys....

Woo-hoo.... Go Navy!!!

Old 10-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #40
pmhangel

pmhangel is on a distinguished road

Hello Craig:
Do you know if there will ever be a coin for the USS Marvin Shields. It was Ship 13 when our gandson was in BC. It's great news that you will be able to spend more time at the site. Your words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Connie (PNG)
pmhangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #41
pmhangel

pmhangel is on a distinguished road

OOOPS!! Excuse me, Craig. As I scroll this thread, I see that you have completed the 'Marvin Shields." YAHOO -- can't wait to get this for the holidays. Thank you so much, Craig

Connie (PNG)
pmhangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #42
Craig
Administrator

Hey Connie,
I have completed the Marvin Shields. It is now out for minting. It should be ready in about 2 weeks. Just keep checking ebay at this link:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/pirgifts/m.html

Last edited by Craig; 08-13-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #43
DevilDoc Mom

Default Kearsarge challenge coin

Hi Craig. I wanted you to know that my son loves his coin. None of his friends have one from boot camp, so it makes it all the more special.
Have a very Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #44
Craig
Administrator

I glad he likes it. I think they look really cool looking.

I've been so busy trying to get the coin project going that I haven't had much
time to spend on NavyDEP. As you know, this (the coins) is the only way I have to keep this website going. I've recently have had to go to another host because I was constantly getting hackers trying to get it.
I'd much rather get all the necessary "toys" I need so I can spend my time with helping deppers that chasing hacker throughout the website.

Thanks for helping me by getting that coin for your son...

Quote:
Hi Craig. I wanted you to know that my son loves his coin. None of his friends have one from boot camp, so it makes it all the more special.
Have a very Happy New Year!

Old 05-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #45
H1PH0PEL3M3NT5

H1PH0PEL3M3NT5 is on a distinguished road

I graduated from ship 12! I want the USS Triton coin! How can I get it?
H1PH0PEL3M3NT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #46
LT Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1PH0PEL3M3NT5 View Post
I graduated from ship 12! I want the USS Triton coin! How can I get it?
Order here:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/pirgifts/m.html

Old 05-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #47
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Did they get rid of the Enterprise? I could have swore that was the "ship" I was on.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #48
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

According to the map Craig posted in the "How the Ships work" thread, the Enterprise is Ship 10. I don't remember ever meeting anyone from Ship 10 though, so it's probably one of the closed down ones, or at least was closed down when I went through.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote