NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #51
coopdeville

coopdeville is on a distinguished road

So I'm in the middle of filling out my paperwork for enlisting in the Navy. I've been looking into a CT rate but my recruiter said with cutbacks it could be a six month wait till an AD slot even opens up. He suggested I look into an AIRR contract. Would I go down to MEPS, pick a different rate and do my PST? then get thrown into the lottery to get picked up?

I would love to do this but since I have a family I'm worried I'll be gone all the time once I get through the training. I am 28, married with kids.

After training, do they choose what rate you'll be doing? I would love to be an AWR but then again, I wouldn't complain about any of the other rates if I ended up there.

I'm in decent shape but does anyone have a training regiment they can post?

Thanks!
coopdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #52
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdeville View Post
So I'm in the middle of filling out my paperwork for enlisting in the Navy. I've been looking into a CT rate but my recruiter said with cutbacks it could be a six month wait till an AD slot even opens up. He suggested I look into an AIRR contract. Would I go down to MEPS, pick a different rate and do my PST? then get thrown into the lottery to get picked up?

I would love to do this but since I have a family I'm worried I'll be gone all the time once I get through the training. I am 28, married with kids.

After training, do they choose what rate you'll be doing? I would love to be an AWR but then again, I wouldn't complain about any of the other rates if I ended up there.

I'm in decent shape but does anyone have a training regiment they can post?

Thanks!
No matter what job you choose you'll probably be gone pretty often if you are on sea duty.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #53
coopdeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
No matter what job you choose you'll probably be gone pretty often if you are on sea duty.
I figured as much, but the research I've done it seems some rates are even gone a lot on shore duty. I was just trying to get a scope on how often AW guys are gone in either capacity.

When you say gone pretty often is that 6 months out of the year or 3 months or does it vary?
Old 03-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #54
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
I figured as much, but the research I've done it seems some rates are even gone a lot on shore duty. I was just trying to get a scope on how often AW guys are gone in either capacity.

When you say gone pretty often is that 6 months out of the year or 3 months or does it vary?
Ships are doing 8 to 10 month deployments. You do work ups before hand that usually combine equal 4 to 6 months being out to sea. They have a new rotation where you come back from deployment then go out on another one 6 months later.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #55
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yeah, helo guys deploy with ships and follow their deployment cycles... it can be more time away than the fixed-wing guys due to work-ups. Fixed-wing guys still have relatively set cycles of 6 months deployed and 12-18 months home... but that can be extended as needed.

As far as getting AWR, it's up to needs of the Navy and what the instructors choose to give you at the end of Rescue Swimmer School.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #56
jplyles12

jplyles12 is on a distinguished road

Hey, thanks for all you do on these forums. Your knowledge helps tons for a lot of people including myself. I was just wondering, what did you do to prepare for your ASVAB in order to qualify for Aircrew rate?
Also, how did you train for the physical demands (especially the swimming aspects) required in NACCS and RSS?
Did you already have a swimming background prior to enlisting? Thanks.
jplyles12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #57
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplyles12 View Post
Hey, thanks for all you do on these forums. Your knowledge helps tons for a lot of people including myself. I was just wondering, what did you do to prepare for your ASVAB in order to qualify for Aircrew rate?
Also, how did you train for the physical demands (especially the swimming aspects) required in NACCS and RSS?
Did you already have a swimming background prior to enlisting? Thanks.
In order to prepare for the ASVAB and see what areas I needed improvement in, I used the full-length Practice ASVAB that is available on the Military.com website... from that, I was able to see that my vocab and reading/writing proficiency was max, but my arithmetic and electronics knowledge was lacking. Using that knowledge, I bought a Kaplan ASVAB study guide that taught each subject and allowed me to focus only on the areas I needed improvement on. I was able to score a 96 AFQT and qualify for every rating through my line scores.

As far as the physical demands, I just made sure to work out at least 3-5 times a week in the months leading up to RTC, and made sure I could pass my PFA well above the Good category, since that's the requirement for Aircrew. Make sure you can do proper-form pushups and situps, and that you can run at least 3 miles at a sub 10min/mi pace without injury, and you should be fine... the more in-shape you are, the better, but they will push you and improve you at NACCS... you just can't show up at the regular Navy standards or you will get injured. Most of the candidates who were dropped were due to injuries like shin splints, stress fractures, or broken bones due to improper running form.

When it comes to swimming, you don't have to be a competition swimmer to get through Water Survival training at NACCS... but you absolutely have to be comfortable in the water. I never did lap swims... but I've spent my entire life in and near the ocean. I used to play in the waves in Malibu as a child and let the waves drag me underwater and toss me around... I was SCUBA certified at 12, which was the youngest legal age back in the '90s... and I just generally felt comfortable being underwater and having water in my nose, eyes, etc. NACCS can and will teach you how to do the proper survival swim strokes, provided you have a basic understanding of American Crawl, Backstroke, Breaststroke, and Sidestroke... they cannot teach you how to remain calm and slow your heart-rate when you transition from treading to floating and you have a flightsuit, boots, Airsave vest, gloves, and a flight helmet dragging you down. A lot of candidates freaked out because they weren't comfortable sinking and didn't realize the buoyancy of your body will hold you near the surface. A few candidates from my class even got rolled out of class because they were afraid to jump off the 15ft platform into the pool! I spend an entire afternoon jumping off the platform at USS Indianapolis pool at RTC just because it was fun as hell!

Now, RSS is another beast entirely that I can't really give much details on because I'm a fixed-wing guy... but I know you will be expected to do 2,000m swims with up to 25m underwater at times. NACCS is all about teaching you to survive indefinitely in the ocean with no flotation device... RSS is actual swimming.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #58
jplyles12

jplyles12 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information! I'll make sure to practice, and also look more into RSS.
jplyles12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #59
coopdeville

As a air rescue swimmer (AIRR) what civilian jobs are available based on the skills you learn?
Old 05-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #60
KACren

KACren is on a distinguished road

If you fail the Flight Physical, are you able to reclassify into another rating or are you sent undesignated?
KACren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #61
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
As a air rescue swimmer (AIRR) what civilian jobs are available based on the skills you learn?
A few I can think of off the top of my head are:

- Helicopter mechanic
- Customs and Border Protection Air Interdiction Agent
- Civilian SAR
- Police helo observer/spotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KACren View Post
If you fail the Flight Physical, are you able to reclassify into another rating or are you sent undesignated?
You'll be given the opportunity to re-rate based on needs of the Navy and what's available. The only time you will likely be given A-PACT is if you DOR (Drop on Request... aka, quit).

Old 05-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #62
hernandez.amie

hernandez.amie is on a distinguished road

Do you have any workout tips for future aircrewmen?

I know the training is intense.
hernandez.amie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #63
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernandez.amie View Post
Do you have any workout tips for future aircrewmen?

I know the training is intense.
The biggest thing is running... you will be required to pass your PST-Out with a score above the basic Navy standard in order to graduate NACCS, as well as run 3-5 miles in formation at least at a 10min/mi pace. If you fall out of a run, you will receive a counseling chit... 3 chits and you can be dropped from the program. The other reason I advocate making sure you can run is because it's the only thing that can injure you at NACCS if you're not up to speed. Push-ups, sit-ups, and everything else that's required during stress-sets can be improved by simply doing them everyday and aren't likely to leave you injured... but running every day at a faster pace than you're accustomed can and will lead to shin splints, stress fractures, and other injuries. Going med-down at NACCS is not good... it rolls you out of class and makes you start from the beginning, and can get you dropped if you are down for too long or go down more than once. I saw more candidates get dropped due to running-related injuries than failing water survival evolutions or their PST-Out.

And, on the topic of swimming... the key to passing the water survival training at NACCS isn't being a powerful swimmer... it's being comfortable in the water. They will teach you how to do the survival swim strokes that they want... but they can't teach you how to remain calm when you transition from treading water to the prone-float and have to slow your heart-rate in order to conserve oxygen. If you haven't spent a lot of time in the water, get in a pool and just float around... get accustomed to being underwater and see how your body stays buoyant and keeps your near the surface.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #64
mmm3

mmm3 is on a distinguished road

I have a question about the PT at NACCS. Right now, I'm in pretty good shape, and I feel as though I could finish all of the workouts you described. I also have five weeks until I ship, so I have time to work on it more. However, I know the PT in boot camp is meant to be pretty lax. I'm worried that after two months of not much activity, I won't be able to go straight into running a quick 3-5 miles without hurting myself. Do you have time to work up to it while you're waiting for class to start, or do you go straight into the harder workouts?
mmm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:34 AM   #65
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm3 View Post
I have a question about the PT at NACCS. Right now, I'm in pretty good shape, and I feel as though I could finish all of the workouts you described. I also have five weeks until I ship, so I have time to work on it more. However, I know the PT in boot camp is meant to be pretty lax. I'm worried that after two months of not much activity, I won't be able to go straight into running a quick 3-5 miles without hurting myself. Do you have time to work up to it while you're waiting for class to start, or do you go straight into the harder workouts?
As long as you push yourself on the runs at RTC, you shouldn't find yourself falling too far behind. And when you get to NACCS, you should be in backlog for at least a month waiting to class-up... you'll spend the day going to the gym, working out, etc. You'll also be given a PST during INDOC, and they'll put you on PT-Hold and bring you back up to speed if you need it.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:42 PM   #66
SethRT

SethRT is on a distinguished road

Is there any info on the A school? I've heard it's a lot of memorizing and that a lot of the material is classified. Is it common for people to fail academically, do you have any tips for doing well in the classroom?
SethRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #67
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethRT View Post
Is there any info on the A school? I've heard it's a lot of memorizing and that a lot of the material is classified. Is it common for people to fail academically, do you have any tips for doing well in the classroom?
Yes, AWO/R A School is challenging... you're taught oceanography, diesel and nuclear submarine parameters, gram analysis, and radar parameters. Parameters are nothing but numbers that you have to memorize... my final exam was almost 50 radar types, all with 4-6 number and letter combinations, as well as an associated weapon, which has an associated name and range; all regurgitated from memory. We were given 15min prior to the test to "data dump" anything from memory... I filled 3 11x17" whiteboards with words and numbers from memory! And, as you've heard, all information except oceanography is Secret and cannot be studied outside class... and night school is only available for 2 hours after class gets out at 1400.

It's basically akin to having a firehouse of knowledge fired at your face to see if you've got the aptitude to handle what's to come at FRS and in your squadron. Yes, people do struggle and sometimes fail... we had 14/17 students in a class fail and roll back into the class behind them because they failed the final exam. Some do end up getting dropped and reclassified... mostly because they just lose interest... but some people simply don't have the aptitude to do this job. Unfortunately for some, the ASVAB requirements for Aircrew are set to the lowest series rating, so you do occasionally get students who don't actually qualify to be an Anti-Submarine Warfare Operator, but are fully qualified to be a Non-Tactical Helicopter crewman... sadly, there's no real factoring in scores when it comes to series rating assignment.

Bottom line, however, is that you can fail a test twice before you go before an Academic Review Board and possibly rolled back into the class behind you... if you're trying, the instructors will help you.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #68
SethRT

Thanks so much for the tips Haasino! I'm going up to MEPS to finish up everything tomorrow and this rating has intrigued me for awhile now, I would love to get it!

So as long as I'm determined, work hard, and genuinely show that it's what I want to do I should be able to receive help (hoping I wont need it) in the classroom. I think I'm more nervous about that then the physical parts of NACCS haha!
Old 06-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #69
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
So as long as I'm determined, work hard, and genuinely show that it's what I want to do I should be able to receive help (hoping I wont need it) in the classroom. I think I'm more nervous about that then the physical parts of NACCS haha!
In NACCS, you're gonna be treated like a piece of s**t candidate because... well, they're trying to get you to quit. But once you graduate and get your 8201 NEC, you're gonna find that Aircrew is a very small, very close community... and that community only gets smaller and closer as you progress into your specific series rating and platform. As long as you're not a dirtbag, and you show that you want to understand the job, you're going to have instructors from E-5's to E-9's moving Heaven and Earth to help you succeed.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #70
SethRT

I think you answered/said this somewhere before Haasino, but what is a good way to physically prep yourself for it? Be able to score within the excellent range on the PRT?

Thanks again for all the info!
Old 06-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #71
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
I think you answered/said this somewhere before Haasino, but what is a good way to physically prep yourself for it? Be able to score within the excellent range on the PRT?

Thanks again for all the info!
The most important thing you can do is not cheat yourself when it comes to proper form push-ups and sit-ups. Check out YouTube and pay attention to what the CFL's facilitating your PFAs at RTC demonstrate and don't perform anything less. At RTC, you're going to have 3-4 instructors watching 8+ recruits and your own RDC is probably gonna coach everyone to fudge each other's numbers... you're also gonna see people doing little more than bobbing their heads and counting them as push-ups. At NACCS, you're pretty much guaranteed to have at least 1, if not 2 instructors watching you specifically... and they will be quick to tell your partner, "that one doesn't count" if your form isn't absolutely perfect. You're also going to be required to pass each category with a score of Good, not Satisfactory as is regular Navy standard.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #72
SethRT

The PT really doesn't seem to extreme then, you just have to make sure you're exhibiting proper form. And from looking at the PT schedules you and others have posted it seems like it'd be almost impossible to not be able to score a Good or higher on the NACCS PRTs they give you.

I feel much more confident now with all this info!
Old 06-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #73
Haasino
**Active Duty**

It's really not... just don't show up only able to make the minimum standards and you'll be fine by the time you take your PST-Out test.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #74
oly077

oly077 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if you are married or have children, but do you have any advice, words of encouragement or caution, or need to know information for the spouse of someone headed towards A School and potentially a career in the AWO rating?
oly077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #75
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a question!!

Where do I submit my chit for my Tom Cruise starter kit?!

;)

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #76
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by oly077 View Post
I'm not sure if you are married or have children, but do you have any advice, words of encouragement or caution, or need to know information for the spouse of someone headed towards A School and potentially a career in the AWO rating?
Fortunately, fixed-wing Aircrew has the best deployments when it comes to family separation... by that, I mean we're not in the middle of the ocean on a ship, and we're not in the mountains of Afghanistan on a 12-man COP. When we deploy, we go to foreign air stations and either stay in a hotel, base housing, or Contained Living Units in the case of Bahrain and Djibouti. In all situations, we either have WiFi in our living spaces, or there's WiFi somewhere on the facility accessible for us to email, Skype, etc. The only hurdle for us to communicate with loved ones back home is usually time-zones, crappy internet speeds, and potential missions we're flying.

As far as the negatives go, you're going to have to understand that, as an AWO, there are going to be times when you're not going to be able to tell your spouse where you are, what you're doing, or when you'll be back. What we do ranges from Secret, to SCI depending on the mission and entails much more than the generic "Anti-Submarine Warfare and Maritime Patrol" description we publicize. AW's will sometimes be able to get away with using code-words like, "I'm gonna be working a lot of overtime for the next week, you may not hear from me"... since overtime doesn't exist in the military, that's code for "I'm on a mission". Sometimes, however, we can't even say that... there may be times, even when not deployed, when you may have to pack a bag, say "I'll see you when I see you", and head out somewhere on a short-term detachment. I've got friends who have had to tell their families, in the most blunt fashion imaginable, that unless a chaplain shows up on their doorstep to deliver tragic news, that unexplained absences in communication are normal.

Now, on the plus side, this isn't a common occurrence... it's just a little-publicized byproduct of the 21st century missions Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance is undertaking around the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
I've got a question!!

Where do I submit my chit for my Tom Cruise starter kit?!

;)

/r
CTT1
Hahaha! Week three of Naval Aircrew Candidate School you get issued your Tom Cruise Starter Kit... flightsuit, flight boots, green jacket, bitchin' leather bomber jacket, gloves, flight bag, and thermal underwear... gold aviators not included (unless optometry says you have bad eyes), but available for purchase for $38.99. Drop that packet to go EP-3's and pass the swim tests and it's all yours!

Old 07-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #77
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
Hahaha! Week three of Naval Aircrew Candidate School you get issued your Tom Cruise Starter Kit... flightsuit, flight boots, green jacket, bitchin' leather bomber jacket, gloves, flight bag, and thermal underwear... gold aviators not included (unless optometry says you have bad eyes), but available for purchase for $38.99. Drop that packet to go EP-3's and pass the swim tests and it's all yours!
Our skipper once instituted "Flight Suit Fridays" while we were underway. He was the only other guy onboard (besides AIRDET) with a flight suit

....He's a career SWO.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #78
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
Our skipper once instituted "Flight Suit Fridays" while we were underway. He was the only other guy onboard (besides AIRDET) with a flight suit

....He's a career SWO.

/r
CTT1

Old 09-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #79
RANDMARIE

RANDMARIE is on a distinguished road

Ok so I'm kind of freaking out, I ship to basic next Tuesday as AIRC which I'm pretty excited about but I have a few concerns. My husband is currently at selection for the Green Berets, I haven't had contact with him, and he gets home friday after I leave so it's been a while since I've seen him and obviously going to be a little while longer til I do. My question is about taking leave while going through the pipeline. I graduate basic the week before thanksgiving, so I'm not sure if I could take leave for that. Also how often can I take leave, if I have it, throughout school. Are they pretty cool about letting you leave on weekends, holidays, etc. or am I basically stuck there my whole pipeline?
RANDMARIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #80
squid.life

squid.life is on a distinguished road
Default Navy Reserve Aircrewman

Any info on what to expect for this? I'll be reporting to Whidbey island after training since I live in the Seattle area. I'm guessing a year from home for boot camp and training time. That sound right? And do we do SERE school?
squid.life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #81
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDMARIE View Post
Ok so I'm kind of freaking out, I ship to basic next Tuesday as AIRC which I'm pretty excited about but I have a few concerns. My husband is currently at selection for the Green Berets, I haven't had contact with him, and he gets home friday after I leave so it's been a while since I've seen him and obviously going to be a little while longer til I do. My question is about taking leave while going through the pipeline. I graduate basic the week before thanksgiving, so I'm not sure if I could take leave for that. Also how often can I take leave, if I have it, throughout school. Are they pretty cool about letting you leave on weekends, holidays, etc. or am I basically stuck there my whole pipeline?
Probably not for Thanksgiving... but you will be able to take about 16-18 days of leave over Christmas/New Years which'll happen while you're at NACCS. This is known as Holiday Stand-down and happens at most training commands... so if you're in training long enough you might get to take it twice like I did. Other than that, you're generally not going to be allowed to take leave once you're actually in class... some commands may let you take leave if you're on hold waiting to class-up, however. As far as weekends go, you're going to have to be Phase III in Pensacola in order to stay out overnight... and you'll need to sign out with a liberty buddy. You'll also be limited to how far from base you can travel... I think it was 75-100miles or thereabouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid.life View Post
Any info on what to expect for this? I'll be reporting to Whidbey island after training since I live in the Seattle area. I'm guessing a year from home for boot camp and training time. That sound right? And do we do SERE school?
Yeah, you'll be going to VR-61 as an AWF on the C-40 Clipper... unless the moons align and you get one of the ultra-rare reserve AWO billets and go to VP-69. You won't be going to SERE as an AWF... you will if you get AWO. And, yes... I'd say about a year is a fair assumption... maybe 1.5 if you end up waiting for a while to class-up at NACCS or A School.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #82
RANDMARIE

RANDMARIE is on a distinguished road

Ok so there is a chance a reservist doesn't have to be a damn flight attendant? That just sounds awful. And there's a chance a reservist can go to SERE? I was pretty excited about that part.
RANDMARIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #83
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDMARIE View Post
Ok so there is a chance a reservist doesn't have to be a damn flight attendant? That just sounds awful. And there's a chance a reservist can go to SERE? I was pretty excited about that part.
Are you Full Time Support, or one-weekend-a-month Reserve? From my experience, only FTS AWF's have been given C-130 orders... and even that was rare for them. The rest went to C-40 or C-12 squadrons... you'll do loadmaster duties as well though; not just flight attendant stuff. As far as SERE goes, you'll get a lower level online course at some point to cover the Code of Conduct and whatnot... but you're not gonna get the Level-C slap & tickle course as a Reservist.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:35 AM   #84
SanDiego

SanDiego is a jewel in the rough

Hey Hassino, I just came from MEPS yesterday and was fortunate enough to pick up the AIRC contract. The experiences you've given as an AWO sound great and a rating I'd like to shoot for. My questions are currently as an AW dry where are possible places for being stationed? Obviously I grew up in San Diego and I know North Island is an NAS but are only wet stationed there? Just curious on what some of my options may be for duty stations. Also, is it possible to go wet although AIRR isn't in my contract? Lastly, clearly I passed the basic requirements to gain the contract but how much more in depth was the flight physical? Do you know people who have gained an AIRC contract yet failed a flight physical and had to choose another rating? Thanks in advance.
SanDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #85
Haasino
**Active Duty**

If you get the AWO rating... which is the most likely option right now... your duty stations will be Jacksonville, FL if you fly on the P-8 Poseidon, and Whidbey Island, WA or Kaneohe Bay, HI if you fly on the P-3 Orion. There are 3 squadrons in Hawaii, but they're going to be moving to Whidbey Island starting in 2017... so ultimately all Patrol Squadrons will be in Jax or Whidbey. There are no AWO's stationed in San Diego... however, we do make dets (Think, few days to a few week mini-deployments) to San Diego from Whidbey for counter-narcotics missions. AIRR is a Naval Special Warfare program, so it's technically always available to you if you want to try to compete for it... once you leave for RTC, however, the chances of getting it go down significantly. And unfortunately, yes, a lot of people get disqualified from Aircrew by the flight physical... some are non-waiverable and have to choose another rating, but most can obtain a waiver... I had to stick around RTC and work an admin job for 2 months waiting for a waiver to clear; I actually spent more time in Great Lakes as a Sailor than I did as a Recruit, lol. They've since streamlined the waiver process though... so you wouldn't be waiting as long as a lot of us did before you if you need a waiver.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #86
SanDiego

SanDiego is a jewel in the rough

Much appreciated. Guess there's nothing I can do regarding the flight physical. It will be what it will be. Lol That's funny. I wouldn't mind being on hold at any point I'll still be getting paid! Haha. Although I'm sure sitting and waiting on the outcome for waivers can be a constant buzzkill. But dang, I spent my high school years in Hawai'i; kind of a bummer it may not be an option by the time I get orders. I don't ship till May of 2015 and by the time I would complete the pipeline I'm sure everyone will already be in Whidbey. I'd much rather be an aircrewman than black shoe Navy just to get Hawai'i though. I guess if I can't make the flight physical there's always that option haha. But are only AWS/AWR stationed in San Diego? I won't ship for 8 months so maybe somewhere down the line while I'm in DEP I could volunteer for the challenge contract for AIRR. If not, just curious if other AW can be stationed in SD? Honestly, I don't mind not being in SD but I also wouldn't mind being able to surf while home lol.
SanDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #87
proudmama

proudmama is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi Hassino,

I've seen you alot on here. I'm mom to NavyPrincess.. Anyways now it's my son's turn to dep in an is interested in Aircrewman. From reading over this, there's an additional schooling between rtc and A school that is more physically demanding than rtc? I want to make sure my kid is ready.

Thank you for your service and information
proudmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #88
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego View Post
Much appreciated. Guess there's nothing I can do regarding the flight physical. It will be what it will be. Lol That's funny. I wouldn't mind being on hold at any point I'll still be getting paid! Haha. Although I'm sure sitting and waiting on the outcome for waivers can be a constant buzzkill. But dang, I spent my high school years in Hawai'i; kind of a bummer it may not be an option by the time I get orders. I don't ship till May of 2015 and by the time I would complete the pipeline I'm sure everyone will already be in Whidbey. I'd much rather be an aircrewman than black shoe Navy just to get Hawai'i though. I guess if I can't make the flight physical there's always that option haha. But are only AWS/AWR stationed in San Diego? I won't ship for 8 months so maybe somewhere down the line while I'm in DEP I could volunteer for the challenge contract for AIRR. If not, just curious if other AW can be stationed in SD? Honestly, I don't mind not being in SD but I also wouldn't mind being able to surf while home lol.
No prob! Yeah, the flight physical is just one of those things that you can't control... so no point in worrying about it. Hawaii is scheduled to start moving in 2017... but everything gets delayed when it comes to Navy planning. And as far as fixed-wing AW's in San Diego... there are Reserve AWF's in VR-57, and active duty AWF's in VRC-30. However, AWF's are going through a rough time right now as their billets are steadily cut and the rate ultimately disestablished... so advancement for active duty is near zero. I would advise taking a change of scenery over bucking for AWF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
Hi Hassino,

I've seen you alot on here. I'm mom to NavyPrincess.. Anyways now it's my son's turn to dep in an is interested in Aircrewman. From reading over this, there's an additional schooling between rtc and A school that is more physically demanding than rtc? I want to make sure my kid is ready.

Thank you for your service and information
Yes, he'll be going through Naval Aircrew Candidate School (NACCS), which is a candidacy school involving more strenuous PT than what other non Naval Special Warfare ratings have to go through... it's mostly running and stress-sets, with water survival tests that require you to be comfortable in the water. It's perfectly doable as long as your son gets some experience in the pool and shows up in shape and able to pass a PRT well above his minimum requirements.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:48 AM   #89
squid.life

Quote:
Probably not for Thanksgiving... but you will be able to take about 16-18 days of leave over Christmas/New Years which'll happen while you're at NACCS. This is known as Holiday Stand-down and happens at most training commands... so if you're in training long enough you might get to take it twice like I did. Other than that, you're generally not going to be allowed to take leave once you're actually in class... some commands may let you take leave if you're on hold waiting to class-up, however. As far as weekends go, you're going to have to be Phase III in Pensacola in order to stay out overnight... and you'll need to sign out with a liberty buddy. You'll also be limited to how far from base you can travel... I think it was 75-100miles or thereabouts.

Yeah, you'll be going to VR-61 as an AWF on the C-40 Clipper... unless the moons align and you get one of the ultra-rare reserve AWO billets and go to VP-69. You won't be going to SERE as an AWF... you will if you get AWO. And, yes... I'd say about a year is a fair assumption... maybe 1.5 if you end up waiting for a while to class-up at NACCS or A School.
So, as a reservist, who will join full time as soon as I can, I'm 36 and had to do the reserves to get in. Am I screwed? Flight attendant/loadmaster is fine, but it sounds like AWF is going away from how you're talking. And when I do reenlist after my two years, how will it all pan out? Also are you stationed at Whidbey as well?
Old 09-12-2014, 07:54 AM   #90
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
So, as a reservist, who will join full time as soon as I can, I'm 36 and had to do the reserves to get in. Am I screwed? Flight attendant/loadmaster is fine, but it sounds like AWF is going away from how you're talking. And when I do reenlist after my two years, how will it all pan out? Also are you stationed at Whidbey as well?
It is and it isn't... P-3 flight engineers and in-flight technicians are going away as the P-3 is gradually phased out and replaced with the P-8, which only has AWO's onboard. However, the flight engineers, reel operators, ESOP's, crewchiefs, loadmasters, and TSS' on the E-6, EP-3, C-40, C-12, C-130, and C-2 platforms aren't going anywhere. If you get one of the jobs and platforms other than P-3, you'll still retain that billet... your rate is probably going to be changing. Currently, they're discussing the future of the AW series ratings and are most likely going to return to the pre-2008 system where AWO was the only true AW rate, AWF was mostly AE's, and AWV was mostly AT's. This'll let you advance at the rate of the Aviation Electrician community... you'll just be volunteering for Aircrew duties.

And yep, I'm up here in Whidbey... love it!

Old 09-12-2014, 08:20 AM   #91
squid.life

Quote:
It is and it isn't... P-3 flight engineers and in-flight technicians are going away as the P-3 is gradually phased out and replaced with the P-8, which only has AWO's onboard. However, the flight engineers, reel operators, ESOP's, crewchiefs, loadmasters, and TSS' on the E-6, EP-3, C-40, C-12, C-130, and C-2 platforms aren't going anywhere. If you get one of the jobs and platforms other than P-3, you'll still retain that billet... your rate is probably going to be changing. Currently, they're discussing the future of the AW series ratings and are most likely going to return to the pre-2008 system where AWO was the only true AW rate, AWF was mostly AE's, and AWV was mostly AT's. This'll let you advance at the rate of the Aviation Electrician community... you'll just be volunteering for Aircrew duties.

And yep, I'm up here in Whidbey... love it!
Awesome. PM'd you Haasino.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #92
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Awesome. PM'd you Haasino.
Replied!

Old 09-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #93
Gremmin

Gremmin is on a distinguished road

Has anyone on this forum been through the rescue swimmer program? I've got some questions about that.
Gremmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #94
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremmin View Post
Has anyone on this forum been through the rescue swimmer program? I've got some questions about that.
There are no helo guys on here that I'm aware of... but I've got some 2nd-hand knowledge of what goes on at RSS from the AWR's I know who went through it. What are you interested in knowing?

Old 09-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #95
Gremmin

I've been trying to research but really haven't come up with clear answers.
Does everyone on helo's that are on the boats have to go through rss, or only people designated as rescue swimmers.

I don't feel like I will have a problem with NACCS but because of my size I don't know how well I will do with RSS. So I was wondering if anyone had seen smaller guys go through it without problems.

I'm not even sure if I will be going to it since I am still waiting to go to meps and my recruiter isn't giving me any info on when I will be able to go because of the male lock out.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #96
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremmin View Post
I've been trying to research but really haven't come up with clear answers.
Does everyone on helo's that are on the boats have to go through rss, or only people designated as rescue swimmers.

I don't feel like I will have a problem with NACCS but because of my size I don't know how well I will do with RSS. So I was wondering if anyone had seen smaller guys go through it without problems.

I'm not even sure if I will be going to it since I am still waiting to go to meps and my recruiter isn't giving me any info on when I will be able to go because of the male lock out.
Everyone on the H-60 platform (Be it AWR's on the MH-60R Seahawk or AWS's on the MH-60S Knighthawk) are also designated as an Aviation Rescue Swimmer and have to go through NACCS and RSS. AWS's on the MH-53E Sea Dragon are not Aviation Rescue Swimmers and only have to go through NACCS... these are the guys you'll hear referred to as AWS "Dry".

One of the AWR's in my A School class was pretty short... whenever anyone teased him about it, his reply was that he'd be the only guy without back problems in 6 years from having to hunch over in the back of the -60 all day. Yeah, you're going to have to do buddy-tow swims and they'll probably make you tow the biggest guy... but even if you're 5'1", it's not like you're fireman carrying someone 250lbs up a flight of stairs. You will need to make sure you're running and swimming endurance is very high though... don't expect to succeed if you're having to push yourself just to make the minimum PST scores.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #97
Gremmin

Quote:
Everyone on the H-60 platform (Be it AWR's on the MH-60R Seahawk or AWS's on the MH-60S Knighthawk) are also designated as an Aviation Rescue Swimmer and have to go through NACCS and RSS. AWS's on the MH-53E Sea Dragon are not Aviation Rescue Swimmers and only have to go through NACCS... these are the guys you'll hear referred to as AWS "Dry".

One of the AWR's in my A School class was pretty short... whenever anyone teased him about it, his reply was that he'd be the only guy without back problems in 6 years from having to hunch over in the back of the -60 all day. Yeah, you're going to have to do buddy-tow swims and they'll probably make you tow the biggest guy... but even if you're 5'1", it's not like you're fireman carrying someone 250lbs up a flight of stairs. You will need to make sure you're running and swimming endurance is very high though... don't expect to succeed if you're having to push yourself just to make the minimum PST scores.

Thanks, I am ok with PST scores. the thing that concerned me is that I don't weigh much so I am not sure how I will fair with buddy tows. Push ups, sit ups, and pull ups I am good on. running and swimming endurance is what I am working on now.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #98
Haasino
**Active Duty**

How tall are you? Guy in my class was probably 5'6" at the tallest... he made it through alright. You'll have to work harder during the buddy tow evolutions, but it won't be impossible. Some candidates are naturally more buoyant or are better runners than others... just means some have to maintain slightly more motivation than others. Definitely keep working on your running and swimming... those are the two biggest hurdles RSS candidates have to deal with.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:00 PM   #99
Gremmin

Quote:
How tall are you? Guy in my class was probably 5'6" at the tallest... he made it through alright. You'll have to work harder during the buddy tow evolutions, but it won't be impossible. Some candidates are naturally more buoyant or are better runners than others... just means some have to maintain slightly more motivation than others. Definitely keep working on your running and swimming... those are the two biggest hurdles RSS candidates have to deal with.
I am 5'5, I'll keep working on my endurance. and hope that I can get aw when I go to meps.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #100
ShotOfWSC
**Active Duty**

ShotOfWSC is on a distinguished road

Hey man. IT3 Harmon here, and I'm fresh out of IT "C" school. I've always been interested in aircrew. Can ITs volunteer for aircrew? If so, what do aircrew ITs do, and what can you tell me about it?

Last edited by ShotOfWSC; 03-28-2015 at 05:53 PM.
ShotOfWSC is offline   Reply With Quote