NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-18-2018, 02:49 AM   #1
robynabs

robynabs is on a distinguished road
Default Family Death While In Bootcamp or A School

Hello all, I ship in 6 weeks and I just visited my grandpa this past weekend. I found out his health is failing and I was wondering what happens if he were to pass while I’m in boot camp or a school. Am I able to come home for a funeral? What if it’s during a critical training time? Thanks

Last edited by robynabs; 07-18-2018 at 11:51 PM.
robynabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #2
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

I can’t give a definitive answer, but I’ll tell you what I *think* would happen. Most likely they’d let you leave then bring you back into a different division that was at the same training point you were at your departure. Again, I’m not sure about that. But that’s how I would think it’d happen.
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Your family would have to contact the Red Cross to get a message to you and if you are allowed to leave they would make the arraignments. As for coming back, it depends, they may have you start all over, just know that if you were out in fleet, being it is not your parent or spouse, it may not be allowed if you were on deployment, if allowed, the flights and expenses would be at your own cost. It is something to think about, can you talk to your grandfather on what his wishes are...sorry to hear he is not doing well. good luck

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is online now   Reply With Quote