NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
navymom24

navymom24 is on a distinguished road
Default The Aircrew Process

A.O. Chris asked me to tell him about the Aircrew rate...........Here ya go!!

I’m going to try and breakdown the Aircrew program and this is the progression thru it as my kid is living it. This is a very confusing process and there is not a lot of info out there about how this all works. My kid enlisted last May 2008 and we’re still learning more about it every day. Like the flyer says, it’s a long arduous journey, but when you make it, You’ve Made It! The prize at the end; Earning that AC Pin, from what we hear is well worth the hard work. Every single Aircrewman we’ve talked to or know of LOVES their job!!! Everyone who’s worked near or with Aircrewman wished they had this job. That’s pretty impressive to me. They fly all over the world, wear really cool flightsuits, get a mandatory 12 hours off a day and extra money.

First off, there are two different ways to go when you get Aircrew. Either Aircrew Dry or Aircrew Wet. Either/Or, get it guaranteed on your contract! Your going to have an extended active duty contract due to the lengthy training. But there should be a decent bonus involved, especially for Aircrew Wet (Rescue Swimmer aka: RSS).

No matter which Aircrew program you get, you will FLY!
Aircrew Dry will more than likely fly on fixed wing. Aircrew/RSS will have a very good chance of being on rotary, ie: Helicopter, although, they have been known to be on fixed wing as well.

I can only tell you with certainty about the Aircrew Dry program as that’s what my kid is doing. I’ve heard a little about the RSS program and I’ll let you know what I do know about that.

So the process actually starts when you get your contract at MEPS. You should be guaranteed A school and advanced training. You are guaranteed PO3 at the end of the completed program. If you take Aircrew Wet (RSS) you will be started on a physical training program thru your recruiter’s office. There is a test that you have to pass before you leave for Boot Camp. I cant remember what it is, but it’s a PT test and a swim test.

Once you get to boot camp, you will have to pass the 3rd & 2nd level swim test within a week or two of being there.
“Third-Class Swim Test - A third class swim test is a test to determine if a person can stay afloat and survive without the use of a personal Floatation Device (PFD) in open water long enough to be rescued in a man-overboard situation. The 3rd class swimmer qualification is the minimum entry-level requirement for all U.S. Navy Personnel.
The third class swim test consists of TWO modules. Module one is composed of three separate events, a deep water jump, a 50-yard swim (using any stroke), and a 5-minute prone float. Swimmers who successfully pass module one may continue on to module two. Module two consists of shirt and trouser or coverall inflation.
Second-Class Swim Test - A second class swim test is a test to determine if a person can stay afloat and survive without the use of a personal floatation device (PFD) indefinitely. The second class swimmer qualification is used as an entry-level Requirement for Small Boat Operators, Naval Aircrew, and Rescue Swimmers.
The second class swim test consists of a seep water jump, 100 yard swim demonstrating 25 yards each of the crawl stroke, breast stroke, side stroke, and elementary backstroke. Immediately after the completion of the swim, without leaving the water, students will prone float (face down) for 5 minutes and transition to a back float before exiting the water. “

You will get more than one chance, but you should strive to do this the first go around. If by chance you don’t pass it in boot camp, you’ll be allowed to take it when you first get to Pensacola. My kid took it with 12 others at Boot and only 1 other guy and her passed. She was prepared when she got there. We had a Marine friend that was a certified Rescue Swimmer and he taught her all the strokes and worked with her in the pool for over two months before she left. It has paid off immensely through out this process. Also in Boot, as a male, you very well could end up in the 800 Division with all the Pre-Buds and EOD guys. I haven’t heard of any females ending up in this division so far.

The other thing that happens in boot camp is that you’ll have a Flight Physical done. This physical is much more involved then the regular boot camp physical. Chest x-rays, EKG’s, tons of bloodwork, extensive hearing and eye exams, ect. It has to be done and signed off on by a Navy Flight Surgeon. (physician)

After boot camp you will be sent to NAS Pensacola - NACCS for your follow on training. You will be on hold for Aircrew Candidate School, for how long just depends on how backed up they are. Females definitely are on hold longer than males. Its just the nature of the beast. Only 1-3 females are taken per class of 15-30.

Okay, so when you get to Pensacola you must do an In-PFA and must pass with a “satisfactory-medium” in all categories for your sex and age, the second class swim test (again!) and another flight physical. If you fail the PFA or swim test, you go on PT/Swim hold and you’ll be give about a week to obtain these goals. If it doesn’t happen, plan on being booted out of the program.

While your waiting for Aircrew School to start your week will consist of daily PT x2 (morning & afternoon) and your regular duty section assignment. Its boring, but if you are not in the best physical shape, NOW is the time to use the 2x’s a day PT to get you where you need to be. Boot Camp PT is NOT going to get you in shape for Aircrew.

****I’m gonna add more tomorrow….gotta get some work done at work! lol

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind." ~ Dr. Suess
navymom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
dspranger

dspranger is on a distinguished road

do you know if we get e4 after a school and sere school or when ?
dspranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspranger View Post
do you know if we get e4 after a school and sere school or when ?
“Training in the Aircrewman Program and accelerated advancement to paygrade
E4 in accordance with MILPERSMAN Article 1220-010. Accelerated advancement
to E4 is authorized only after successful completion of Naval Aircrew Candidate
School, Class “A” School, and Fleet Replacement Squadron training. I
understand that this extension becomes binding upon execution and thereafter
may not be cancelled except as set forth in MILPERSMAN Article 1160-040.
This is my first enlistment.
Total aggregate of extension: 24 months.”

Read this:
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...s/1220-010.pdf

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Is the advancement process ever different for recruits coming in at E-3? My understanding is that I'll only need 6 months at E-3 before I can try for E-4; does anyone ever do this in A School or FRS, or is it practically impossible?
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
Is the advancement process ever different for recruits coming in at E-3? My understanding is that I'll only need 6 months at E-3 before I can try for E-4; does anyone ever do this in A School or FRS, or is it practically impossible?
Going in as a E3, does make you eligible for E4 in 6 months. However, you must get past a certain part of your "A" school to get promoted. Each "A" school has a different rule on what that part is.

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Going in as a E3, does make you eligible for E4 in 6 months. However, you must get past a certain part of your "A" school to get promoted. Each "A" school has a different rule on what that part is.
Thanks, Craig! Good to know.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Soon to be ABE

Soon to be ABE is on a distinguished road

is there a way you can volunteer to go to aircrew school in bootcamp or after your normal a school training if you can't get a aircrew contract at meps or before you leave or is getting an aircrew contract at meps the only way to go to aircrew school
Soon to be ABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:39 AM   #8
sporkhey

sporkhey is on a distinguished road

what if you fail something and they boot you from the program? what rate are you then?
sporkhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:05 AM   #9
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkhey View Post
what if you fail something and they boot you from the program? what rate are you then?
If you DOR (Drop on Request), then you'll be going undesignated... if they drop you, then you'll be given a little bit of choice, but it's limited to what's available.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Old 03-30-2013, 04:26 AM   #10
sporkhey

sporkhey is on a distinguished road

Awesome thanks. I will try not to do either but just wanted to know
sporkhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
Gaskins_A

Gaskins_A is on a distinguished road

So how many guys who dont have an RSS contract actually go through the 800 division?

"Brothers in Spirit, Brothers in Arms."
20121024 - DEP in
20130613 - Ship out
AIRCREW
(Soon to be) 4th Generation Sailor
Gaskins_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskins_A View Post
So how many guys who dont have an RSS contract actually go through the 800 division?
For Aircrew? None. You'll be in a regular or 900 division... which is kind of a handicap in retrospect. RTC trains you to barely meet the minimum Navy standards, but at NACCS and A School you're going to be held to a higher PT standard than everyone else.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"