NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AG = AEROGRAPHERS MATE

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation
Default AG rating info sheet...

Attached are the AG rating info sheets...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ag.pdf (1.04 MB, 133 views)
File Type: doc ag.doc (41.5 KB, 93 views)
File Type: pdf ag_06_11.pdf (28.3 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Craig; 04-22-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
vabchsue

vabchsue is on a distinguished road

Right now this rating is very heavily overmanned (Michael was told approximately 150%), so this could be interesting trying to advance.... However, since he made E4 on his first try, he said he's going to try in September.
vabchsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
NatureGirl

NatureGirl is on a distinguished road

Are AG's able to be stationed in Hawaii?? I've heard yes and no, but I'm not sure which is right.. Can anyone help?
NatureGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
vabchsue

I'm checking with my AG son (who's out and about with some friends right now), but I texted him and will post when I hear something, okay? And you do realize how very heavily overmanned the rating is right now, right?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
vabchsue

Michael just responded: "Only specwar has ag's stationed there...everybody mostly goes to norfolk, san diego, or japan" I know a kid that was in A school after him went to Stennis Space Center in Mississippi. Michael couldn't wait to get out of Biloxi (he hated it there), but others don't mind it that much........
Old 05-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
NatureGirl

That's great. Thanks for your help. I do know that AG's are overmanned right now.. So, I'm expecting it to be hard to move up in rank... Which kind of annoys me, because when I did get the rating, I was told that it was such a rare job to get, and I was the 6th person in the year, at Denver MEPS, (and it was September by this point), to get the job.. Haha.

My recruiter was telling me that AG's could be stationed anywhere where with an air station.. so, I was thinking Hawaii could be a possibility, but I think I might just stick with San Diego. I'm pretty excited for Mississippi.. I don't know, I just want to be somewhere different for a while. We'll see how I like it. Haha.
46 more days until boot camp!
Old 05-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
NatureGirl

Why didn't your son like Biloxi?
Old 05-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #8
vabchsue

I think it had a lot to do with not being able to have a car and having to depend on buses, cabs or walking to get anywhere. He did go in the duty van to Gulfport a couple of times, plus, he was excited to go to New Orleans to see the Globetrotters. He was still surprised by the damage that was still seen from Katrina, both in Biloxi, AL and in New Orleans (and the trip to there). I know it wasn't the heat and humidity, we get that every summer here in Va Beach. He just isn't at all crazy about having to head down there if and when he does C school. Some time ago, another AG mom forwarded an article to me. It had something to do with civilians will be replacing the AG's in the towers, or something like that. I'm asking around though and I've e-mailed the mom that sent that article to me to see if she still has it, or remembers it. if I do find out though, I'll post it here. Who knows, it may have just been one of those "rumors" anyways, right? We love having him back here in VA, but now we sort of wish he had gotten San Diego so that we could go and visit. Dan (hubby) was stationed out there on a pre-com ship and he loved it out there. That's on our to-do list even if Michael doesn't get orders there.

Last edited by vabchsue; 05-28-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Craig
Administrator

Amanda,
To satisfy your curiousity, have your recruiter pull up all the duty stations for AG in JASS (called CMS now).... Goto this thread to see how to do it...
http://www.navyfamilies.com/showthread.php?t=293

This is the actually list of duty stations that are presently in the system, so the detailer can't BS you because these are the one everyone has to work from. I would love to hear his excuse why Hawaii isn't on the list. I bet he will say "All the positions are full"....yea, you can't bs a bs'er....-ha

Old 05-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
vabchsue

Thanks for posting this Craig.....it should help her out! It does stink that the rating is so overmanned and advancement isn't too easy, but you will at least know what's what and that can never hurt ya.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabchsue View Post
Thanks for posting this Craig.....it should help her out! It does stink that the rating is so overmanned and advancement isn't too easy, but you will at least know what's what and that can never hurt ya.
I would love to find a website showing the quota % for, let say, the past 10 years. At least you could see if it was always overmanned. I know one must exist, but I haven't found it yet....

Old 05-28-2009, 08:54 PM   #12
vabchsue

Found the article:

Navy Moving to Contract Weather Observers
Story Number: NNS080118-17
Release Date: 1/18/2008 3:24:00 PM

By George Lammons, Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command Public Affairs

STENNIS SPACE CENTER, Miss. (NNS) -- Military weather observers at all 25 U.S Navy continental United States air fields will be replaced by civilian contracted observers this year, in response to a Navy efficiency study.

The turnover began this month at five air fields – Naval Air Station Lemoore, Naval Air Station North Island (including San Clemente and Imperial Beach) and Naval Air Station Meridian. The other 22 Navy air fields will change in a phased approach to accommodate Sailors' scheduled transfers and reenlistments.

The contracted weather observers also will have a one-month turnover with the military observers to ensure a smooth transition. The majority of the transition will take place this year and should be complete by January 2009.

"We're still going to have qualified (weather) observers at our air fields, the only difference is they will be civilians," said Capt. Grant Cooper, Director of Operations for Aviation Weather at the Naval Oceanography Operations Command (NOOC).

NOOC is a subordinate of the Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command (NMOC), based at Stennis Space Center, Miss.

The services provided by the civilian contracted observers will remain the same as the services that had been provided by the military observers. The weather observations are used in formulation of weather forecasts and weather models.

This year's change is another step in the NMOC effort to streamline its aviation weather directorate.

The Naval Aviation Forecast Center (NAFC) was established January 2005 in Norfolk to centralize Continental United States aviation weather forecasting services as a key part of the comprehensive transformation in the Naval Oceanography Program. Manning at 25 naval air stations and outlying fields drew down as the Flight Weather Briefer program was established as an automated tool to request and receive a pre-flight weather brief via the web.

Two master jet bases (NAS Oceana and NAS Lemoore) as well as four large training air fields (Corpus Christi, Pensacola, Whiting Field and Whidbey Island) retained weekday, on-site forecasting services because of their operational tempo and to provide an extra level of risk mitigation. Off-hour requests are supported by NAFC.

Naval Aviation Forecast Detachment (NAFD) San Diego will be established in summer, as a forecasting hub for the western naval air fields and Texas air stations (Corpus Christi, Fort Worth and Kingsville). Additionally, the consolidation of forecasting services has occurred in Asia and Europe and is supported by the Naval Aviation Forecast Detachment in Atsugi, Japan, and the Naval Aviation Forecast Detachment in Sembach, Germany.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #13
NatureGirl

Interesting information.... Huh. Thanks for finding that article. I don't know what to think of it. Ha.. It's.. odd.

And a recruiter told me that I wouldn't be stationed at Hawaii because there aren't any aircraft carriers out there.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #14
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureGirl View Post
And a recruiter told me that I wouldn't be stationed at Hawaii because there aren't any aircraft carriers out there.
It is true...no carriers in Hawaii...my son wanted to be there but got a carrier, and they only go into port there for very short visits..
________
Lovely Wendie

Last edited by sweetmtn; 05-08-2011 at 04:00 AM.
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #15
vabchsue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I would love to find a website showing the quota % for, let say, the past 10 years. At least you could see if it was always overmanned. I know one must exist, but I haven't found it yet....
Craig, did you ever find the site re this? And I know this is almost a whine, but he's still waiting for E-4 pay. He did pull up his profile sheet (isn't that what it's called?) and it's still not showing (according to him) when he'll receive it. I know.....patience........

Last edited by vabchsue; 06-04-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #16
asailorswife

asailorswife is on a distinguished road

Sue.. He made it on the last round? Maybe he's in the last group for promotion.. Has he talked to anyone in his command about it?

Sarah

asailorswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #17
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabchsue View Post
Craig, did you ever find the site re this? And I know this is almost a whine, but he's still waiting for E-4 pay. He did pull up his profile sheet (isn't that what it's called?) and it's still not showing (according to what him) when he'll receive it. I know.....patience........
Sue,
You might want to have him check it again. The profile sheets are now posted (from what I've heard)... Does he know how to see them?

Old 06-04-2009, 06:19 AM   #18
vabchsue

He actually printed one out on Tuesday. And here's an aside.....this morning in the paper, there was an small article in the paper re there wasn't any Navy flyover on Memorial Day. There was a brief overhead pass of CG C-130 cargo plane and a CG helo from the Elizabeth City station, and 3 restored WWII war birds. Members of the Mayor's Veterans Committee offered the explanation that it's due to budget cutbacks. The Navy is watching its nickels and dimes very carefully until October 1. This means many ceremonial events, PAY HIKES and duty station changes have been postponed for the time being. That would mean he and others won't see it until almost a year after advancing?
Old 06-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #19
vabchsue

Michael will finally see his increased pay starting July 1. Boy, this sure took awhile but it's finally appening!

Last edited by vabchsue; 06-24-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #20
vabchsue

YAY!!!! It was in the July 1 check and now he can spend that extra $$....lol...he's really good about not doing that so hopefully he'll stay that way!