NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
xDeftones

xDeftones is on a distinguished road
Default Chances of getting IT

Anyone have any idea how likely the chances of getting IT are? I qualify based on my ASVAB scores, but of course nothing is guaranteed. Just wondering if anyone knows if IT's are in need right now.
xDeftones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #2
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

I feel like this was answered for you in your last post... Nobody knows, nobody is going to know. The only time you will find out if/when it's available is when you are sitting at MEPS and they tell you what is available.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #3
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

The rate as a whole is at 93% right now, moving to 92% next FY. So there's a good chance they'll have a spot open as long as you meet ASVAB and security clearance requirements.

That being said though; that's the rate as a whole. E3 and below is 53% for sea, but also 134% for shore. So while the rate as a whole is lower than 100%, that doesn't dictate what the ECM is gonna have open for new recruits coming in.

/r
CTT1

EDIT: On the sea/shore aspect, you don't get to pick. They could still balance that out by moving those shore guys out to sea billets. So don't read super hard into the 53% number. But your chances look decent overall.
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:39 AM   #4
Teck3

Teck3 is a glorious beacon of lightTeck3 is a glorious beacon of light

I signed my ATF/IT contract exactly one month prior to your post, and the 6 year IT (Advanced Technical Field program) was the only rate available from the ones I wanted (IT 4/6yr, GM, MA, CTN, CTM). Can't say it's still like that, but IT was the only rate available for me (and it's the 6 year enlistment), but I'd think there might be a decent chance it's available.

Won't know 'til they look it up, though.
Ship - 20151019 (currently at RTC)
Teck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:36 AM   #5
xDeftones

xDeftones is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
The rate as a whole is at 93% right now, moving to 92% next FY. So there's a good chance they'll have a spot open as long as you meet ASVAB and security clearance requirements.

That being said though; that's the rate as a whole. E3 and below is 53% for sea, but also 134% for shore. So while the rate as a whole is lower than 100%, that doesn't dictate what the ECM is gonna have open for new recruits coming in.

/r
CTT1

EDIT: On the sea/shore aspect, you don't get to pick. They could still balance that out by moving those shore guys out to sea billets. So don't read super hard into the 53% number. But your chances look decent overall.
You're becoming my best friend with all this info man, thank you so much! I don't care as far as doing sea or shore duty. I definitely meet the ASVAB requirements, and doubt I'll have a problem with the security clearances.
xDeftones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:00 AM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDeftones View Post
You're becoming my best friend with all this info man, thank you so much! I don't care as far as doing sea or shore duty. I definitely meet the ASVAB requirements, and doubt I'll have a problem with the security clearances.
No problem!

Yep so as long as you meet those, it's just about the rating having open billets the day you go down. If they do, you're good to go!

/r
CTT1
Old 05-05-2015, 06:23 AM   #7
Tay

Tay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No problem!

Yep so as long as you meet those, it's just about the rating having open billets the day you go down. If they do, you're good to go!

/r
CTT1
I'm shipping as a IT too. Would there ever be a chance that a It could volunteer to support Seals Teams or do SpecOp missions?
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:43 AM   #8
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay View Post
I'm shipping as a IT too. Would there ever be a chance that a It could volunteer to support Seals Teams or do SpecOp missions?
There are NSW opportunities for ITs, yes. But they're gonna want you to have at least a full tour (ie, 4 years) as an IT before they'll seriously consider your package. Reason being is they don't want to be training a completely fresh Sailor; they want you to have some experience doing your job first.

Reference instruction MILPERSMAN 1306-986

/r
CTT1
Old 05-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #9
Tay

Quote:
There are NSW opportunities for ITs, yes. But they're gonna want you to have at least a full tour (ie, 4 years) as an IT before they'll seriously consider your package. Reason being is they don't want to be training a completely fresh Sailor; they want you to have some experience doing your job first.

Reference instruction MILPERSMAN 1306-986

/r
CTT1
Is it common for ITs to do this?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #10
Spook

Spook will become famous soon enough

Depends on the IT. Some ITs are in the rate mainly for the low key intel work. Others not so much. All the IT would have to do would be submit a package up the chain of command. I don't have too much knowledge in the area, but its no uncommon.
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:02 AM   #11
Tay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Depends on the IT. Some ITs are in the rate mainly for the low key intel work. Others not so much. All the IT would have to do would be submit a package up the chain of command. I don't have too much knowledge in the area, but its no uncommon.
Ok and do you know if it's hard to classify as a second class swimmer? I just read that you have to be a second class swimmer.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #12
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay View Post
Ok and do you know if it's hard to classify as a second class swimmer? I just read that you have to be a second class swimmer.
It's not that bad. If you're a decent swimmer you'll be fine.

/r
CTT1
Old 05-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #13
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
You guys wouldn't be doing Intel. You'd be doing the tactical comms work.

/r
CTT1
Old 05-15-2015, 02:16 PM   #14
Tay

Quote:
You guys wouldn't be doing Intel. You'd be doing the tactical comms work.

/r
CTT1
Do you know how close you can to completing a bachelors degree in 4 years?
Old 06-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #15
saltysailor

saltysailor is on a distinguished road

Most commands won't let you take college classes for at least the first 6 months to first year. You can't take classes in Boot camp or A School. If you are an IT, that's about 7-8 months, plus the time at your command. Unless you come in with college credits, you probably won't finish a bachelor's in a 4 year contract.
saltysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:28 AM   #16
ShotOfWSC
**Active Duty**

ShotOfWSC is on a distinguished road

Don't plan on taking college courses anytime soon. First focus on leaning your job and getting your qualifications.

/R
IT2
ShotOfWSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:05 AM   #17
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

Let me give all the deppers some truth. I thought it would be possible to still be able to start doing college classes right away. As soon as I got to my first command, I found out that it isn't that easy. For the first reason, you have to get your IDW, or your commands warfare pin, before you can even start applying for TA. This can take anywhere from a couple months to a max of 3 years. On top of that, you have your watch quals. You have to go around and get trained in the different watches that is mandatory for you to stand. And then after that, you have your actual job qualifications. I was told mine would take around 4 months. And I haven't even gotten to my job yet. I have been here for two months and it could be another possible two months of being here before i get to my job.

So let's add this all up, 2 months of bootcamp+ however long your a school was (5 months for me) + 2 months for warfare pin (if you are an extremely motivated sailor) + job qualification (4 months for me).

That's over a year, and that's not including the time I'm stuck here in holding. Nothing I could do would be able to make this process go faster. No matter how motivated I am, bootcamp will take two months, a school would still taken 5 months. And there's nothing I can do to speed up my clearance so I can get to my job. And since I don't have my clearance. I can't really do my warfare pin. So yeah I said I was going to try and do college courses right away. But things come up and it's not as easy as it sounds.

Of course you can do clept tests and other similar things depending on your command. But actual college courses, it's going to be difficult to get started right away. At least for your first year.