NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AG = AEROGRAPHERS MATE

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
HeatherG

HeatherG is on a distinguished road
Default AG Rating Question

Hi everyone! I just swore in for the first time (yay!) last Thursday. I was able to get the rate of AG (Aerographer's Mate) which is great as I had been wanting this rate in the first place. Now I know it's a relatively small field to be in but was wondering if anyone had any more insight (other than the general descriptions of what the rate entails) on the AG rating. I have heard several conflicting things such as AG's aren't actually stationed on ships these days, as well as duty sites are limited. Any information/advice would be great! Thank you!

Last edited by LT Guppy; 01-04-2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: edit title
HeatherG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
cire

cire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherG View Post
Hi everyone! I just swore in for the first time (yay!) last Thursday. I was able to get the rate of AG (Aerographer's Mate) which is great as I had been wanting this rate in the first place. Now I know it's a relatively small field to be in but was wondering if anyone had any more insight (other than the general descriptions of what the rate entails) on the AG rating. I have heard several conflicting things such as AG's aren't actually stationed on ships these days, as well as duty sites are limited. Any information/advice would be great! Thank you!
"AG is classified as an INUS/OUTUS (in the U.S./Outside the U.S.) community, which means that instead of being assigned to ships, many of their overseas assignments are classified as sea tour duty for sea/show flow purposes. Aerographer's Mates are assigned as weather observers following completion of their initial training. An observer tour is required prior to attending Forecaster "C - School" (advanced training). Upon completion of Forecaster "C -School," follow on assignments as an AG will be for Forecaster Billets. Sailors in the AG community can expect to serve more than half their careers in operational support tours ashore. "

It sounds like more than likely you will be stationed on shore at a major base somewhere and you may even be sent to work with the AF and CG

I'm assuming it is a very small rating, so advancement may be very competitive so do everything you can to EP and pass your tests to advance

Quote:
mack_it_nasty: my boyfriend wouldnt like that gee.
geeMA: the hell? you told me you were single. lol
mack_it_nasty: oh did i...
geeMA: i got trolled
cire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
vabchsue

vabchsue is on a distinguished road

My son has been an AG for 5 years now and will run this by him as to how accurate your info is. He's deploying again later in the year so I've got time to clarify things.
vabchsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:28 AM   #4
ColorsWolf

ColorsWolf is on a distinguished road

Future Navy Sailor Aerographer's Mate Gallardo Jr. here!~ ^_^

I'm really excited about my new future job!~

I would also like to learn more about Aerographer's Mates and opportunities to travel:

I love the sound of MET teams: how does one go about volunteering for those sorts of things after RTC and A School?~

*Believe in yourself, you can do anything*!~ ^_^

Appreciate every thing, every thing is precious.~

ColorsWolf is offline   Reply With Quote