NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Interior Communications Electrician B230, K100

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-03-2015, 11:45 PM   #1
icander

icander is on a distinguished road
Talking A Heap of Questions about A and C School

To all who enter this thread: hello! :D

As my forum signature denotes, my ship day is just one more week away, and I still have so many questions!—about boot camp, about school, about life in general as a United States sailor. I've already fronted many of these questions to my recruiters and to my Navy veteran boyfriend, but working in my area's recruiting office are three petty officers who supply me with three different responses and my boyfriend (a) worked in the nuclear field and (b) finished serving a little over two years ago. In short, straightforward and up-to-date answers have been difficult for me to come by. :P

I am aware that I may not receive answers to all my questions, but I will certainly appreciate any that I do receive! If anyone has any relevant information on the brain, please don't be afraid to share it! C:

Now, since I do have so many, I will try to keep my inquiries as organized, short, and clear as I can. Wouldn't want to bore or overwhelm anybody. ;P

Note: I understand that each individual's Navy experience differs, regardless of rating, but if it will help anyone to know mine, I've enlisted as an Interior Communications Electrician (IC).

A School/C School

IX. I believe I am to attend both A school and C school in Great Lakes. I've heard that my designated schools are essentially right across the street from RTC. I'm just curious as to whether or not this is true.

X. What kind of personal items are sailors cleared to have in barracks? For instance, I'd like to have my pillow, a few pieces of civilian clothing, perhaps a sketchbook and some art supplies, my laptop, my Kindle, and an MP3 player, if regulations permit.

XI. What does a typical day at A school and C school entail? What is the actual schooling like? Do sailors attend one class that teaches them everything that they need to know, or do they attend multiple different classes each with its own separate subject material, as with high school or college? Does class begin and end at the same times every day?

XII. I've heard that if a sailor makes "top of their class" they are given an opportunity to choose their first duty station from a list of stations in need of sailors of their particular rating. Is this true, or is this just as unpredictable as most other things in the Navy?

XIII. What is the protocol for receiving visitors while sailors are at school? Does the protocol differ between A school and C school?

--

Whew!

I'm sorry there are so many! I know no future sailor is 100% prepared for their journey, but I'd like to at least try to prepare myself as much as I can. This is a new start for me and I'd like to do my very best from the get-go.

To those who take the time to assist me, I thank you kindly. I know I am—quite literally—asking a lot, and, as I said before, any and all help is greatly appreciated!

--

The slate wipes clean on February 10th.

Last edited by LT Guppy; 02-04-2015 at 02:50 AM.
icander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:54 AM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

IX. Yes, the schoolhouse portion of the base is across the street from the RTC portion of the base.

X. Those items are all good. You just have to keep them locked in your locker during the day.

XI. You'll have some classes in the traditional sense and some online that are self paced.

XII. Sometimes true, sometimes not.

XIII. As you phase up your privileges will increase. You can have visitors, and eventually you will be able to get overnight liberty on the weekends to stay at a hotel or something.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #3
icander

icander is on a distinguished road

Thank you for another helpful reply, Guppy! Now school doesn't seem so mysterious. :P

--

The slate wipes clean on February 10th.
icander is offline   Reply With Quote