NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #1
Just4Kixs

Just4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud of
Default Boot Camp Questions + Allowed to bring

Hi all. I have questions before leaving for boot camp in terms of what to bring and other tid bits of boot camp that I'm confused.

1.) As far as being allowed to send letters to family and friends, are we allowed to send letters to family overseas and not just the US?

2.) Paychecks: Being paid while in boot camp is great, but will we be taxed from the state we came from on our paychecks? I'm from California, and we have both federal AND state tax. Will this change? Are there any rules as to what gets deducted for being a military member?

3.) Are we allowed to bring wrist watches? The DEP Start Guide didn't mention anything about wrist watches (as some recruit leadership positions would be encouraged to wear watches)

4.) So, I'm looking for ways to save $$ during boot camp. I plan to wear clothes that I don't like or need anymore literally bring no bag but myself in clothes that I want to get rid of and donate once I reach boot camp. So that way I wouldn't have to pay for a box going home nor do I have any plans in sending a box home (I don't wanna bring a cell phone either). What are some ways that you can think of to save $$? If any one has gone through boot camp too, please chime in and I ask you what would you have done differently if you were to go back again?
I don't have family that care about me or support me joining the military, so I'm pretty much on my own.

5.) Paperwork. This one confuses me the most. What specific papers and documents do we need to bring? If we are told not to bring anything to boot camp, then why would people still bring copies of birth certificates, SSN, bank info routing numbers (understandable for those starting a new account, but for those like me who started a Navy Fed/USAA account during DEP and before boot camp), and most importantly medical records? Wouldn't they see your records from MEPS/enlist folder anyway (minus dental and immunization records to bring?)? Should we bring our copies of immunization records, dental records, and living last will/power of attorney/advance directive?

6.) If space allows and fits, would bringing a mini address book the size of a credit card be okay? Also, if your rack is near the fishbowl or some light source, would it be okay to bring those eye shades that you strap on your head for sleeping?

7.) Uniform costs + boot camp expenses. This one I didn't know about. Do we still need to pay for our own haircuts (males)? Wouldn't it be better to shave and get a haircut prior to being sent to boot camp? Also with uniforms, I heard there is a subsidy/stipend amount for enlist and officers. Is that related to uniforms we get in boot camp or are we paying those off with our earned money deducted from paychecks? Anything else (besides NEX) that we are responsible to finance at our own expense in boot camp? I'm trying to get a feel for how much to save prior to being shipped out. Lastly, the start guide tells us to allot a maxmimum of $10 in cash, but I've heard others bringing up to $25 lol. Thoughts?

8.) I'm going to have "care packages/boxes" pre-packed with things I'd like to be sent from home once boot camp is over (my A-school is in Great Lakes, no harm there). Would they allow us to have our laptops and cell phones and some more personal belonging in A-school (compared to what was in boot camp)? I put them in my care packages to be sent to me that's why along with some perishable goodies.

9.) Chits during A school + leave time. I understand that it depends on what phase you're on in some A schools etc... for free time and leave, but I was wondering if we are allowed to submit chits for things like going to a dear friend's wedding on a Saturday (fly out Friday night) and then back to base on Sunday if we don't have duty or watch?

Thanks in advance!
Just4Kixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

3) Bring a wristwatch, but understand you only get to wear it if you're in a leadership position (and for inspections, RCPO only). But you can keep it in your drawer and use it to wake yourself up for watch, pre-reveille shave, etc.

4) Sending that box home is the only avoidable expense I remember from boot, other than buying divisional pictures at the end. If you want to toss everything you brought that doesn't fit in a sock (your valuables: wallet, watch, and so on), you can do just that. You don't exactly get shopping opportunities at RTC, other than for hygiene supplies as you run out.

5) Bring copies of whatever ID documents you like, and possibly bank info (voided check), but leave it at that. If you have your direct deposit already set up, you should be good to go for pay. I don't remember needing the ID stuff I brought: anything important should be in your enlistment packet, which will also hold all the medical stuff you mentioned. That's why they make a fat folder for you at MEPS. It's your official medical/dental record, and it will follow you wherever you go.

6) You probably don't need a full-on address book, but if you think you do, that'll be a fine size. Especially if you can keep it in your wallet. Nobody will even know about it. Do NOT bring a sleep mask, that'll just get thrown away. Your seabag will include a wool watch cap that serves the purpose admirably, although it is a bit scratchy. If you go in winter and get the extra gear, you'll have a 3-hole balaclava as well that's much softer: that's what I used. Do NOT be wearing it in the morning when an RDC walks in.

7) You can go to boot camp with no money at all and be fine...remember, they are paying you for being there, and you literally cannot spend enough money on toiletries and notecards to run through even a quarter of it. Your uniforms will be covered by the initial issue allowance. For some reason a lot of people find this confusing, but it's very simple: You get paid a set amount of money to cover your seabag, and then they take it away and give you the gear. It works out like they just gave it to you for free. On top of that you'll be getting your base pay, which may be a little wonky for your first few months, but will more than cover a few haircuts. Don't bother paying for a haircut before you ship out, because even if you're flat bald they will charge you, sit you in the chair, slap you over the head, and send you off. If you want to bring a bit of cash, keep it to 20 bucks max: you won't need it anyway.

8) Yes, you can have a laptop, cell phone, and all that crap at A school. There's not much at Great Lakes considered contraband, as far as I remember. I do not recommend you get a lot, though: when you leave, there's no telling where you'll go, and the less you have to pack the better until you know what your more permanent living situation will be.

9) You can submit a chit for whatever you want, but don't hold your breath. I wouldn't count on being able to get that weekend off, duty or no duty. They can't fault you for trying, though, so ask when you get there.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:52 PM   #3
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

1. As long as you can provide the correct postage, they sell stamps at the NEX, you can send letters wherever you want.

2. You will be taxed according to your home of record, should be California for you, for your entire time you are enlisted. This will only change if you change your home of record, and that's not that easy. You will still pay state and federal taxes. As far as deductions, you will still choose what you want deducted, it's the same as any other job.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:29 AM   #4
Just4Kixs

Just4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
4) If you want to toss everything you brought that doesn't fit in a sock (your valuables: wallet, watch, and so on), you can do just that. You don't exactly get shopping opportunities at RTC, other than for hygiene supplies as you run out.
7) You can go to boot camp with no money at all and be fine...remember, they are paying you for being there, and you literally cannot spend enough money on toiletries and notecards to run through even a quarter of it.
Thanks! I plan on not bringing a lot anyway since I travel so much in my civy life, so I'll end up donating my unwated civy clothes worn there but keep things that can fit in my wallet (ID, voided check, cash, etc...). I don't plan on shopping anyway, but I forgot about pictures they take. Are there solo pics that you can buy too? I wonder how much those would be around. It seems from what you're telling me that the expenses in boot camp come mostly from hygiene products and letters/notecards, which is all perfect.

Thanks again, this was very helpful!
Old 02-18-2015, 04:54 AM   #5
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureND View Post
1. As long as you can provide the correct postage, they sell stamps at the NEX, you can send letters wherever you want.

2. You will be taxed according to your home of record, should be California for you, for your entire time you are enlisted. This will only change if you change your home of record, and that's not that easy. You will still pay state and federal taxes. As far as deductions, you will still choose what you want deducted, it's the same as any other job.
Technically, you are taxed on your home of legal residence, which may be different from your home of record.
Home of Record - typically where you enlisted. Nearly impossible to change.
Home of legal residence - anywhere you can claim an address (parents or relatives are allowed). Can change as often as you want
Home of physical residence - where ou are stationed

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #6
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

2.). You will not be taxed unless you get stationed in California. Active duty military stationed outside the state don't get taxed... nor do they have to file a state tax return.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #7
Matt

Matt is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Technically, you are taxed on your home of legal residence, which may be different from your home of record.
Home of Record - typically where you enlisted. Nearly impossible to change.
Home of legal residence - anywhere you can claim an address (parents or relatives are allowed). Can change as often as you want
Home of physical residence - where ou are stationed
So is it a no brainer to change home of legal residence to Texas/Florida/state with no state income tax? That would be awesome, especially if you don't have to pay the higher sales tax and property tax that make up for the no state income tax!
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #8
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
So is it a no brainer to change home of legal residence to Texas/Florida/state with no state income tax? That would be awesome, especially if you don't have to pay the higher sales tax and property tax that make up for the no state income tax!
You have to have an address you can use there.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:21 AM   #9
Just4Kixs

Default Transcripts sent

Haasino,

I wasn't sure if it was you or someone else I read on this website about sending transcripts directly to the Navy College, but I read on here somewhere to send physical transcripts to the Navy College so that they have records of it. My question is, even if we sent official copies of our college transcripts to our recruiters and that they have copies in our "enlistement folder" that travels to us/gets sent to boot camp, won't the Navy College have copies of those anyway? Why do we need to send another round of official college transcripts to the Navy College anyway if we have records of it in our folder? Unless they never see those records lol. My recruiter said that they'll get copies of it anyway, unless they're lying too lol.
Also, if we were to send these offical transcript copies to the Navy College, when should we do so? During A school?

thanks in advance
Old 02-22-2015, 09:13 AM   #10
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

YN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond repute

The thought with transcripts is that the Navy is a large organization with just as much bureaucratic action as any other government division. Namely, things get lost. Often.

So sending your transcripts directly is really more of an insurance measure to make sure that they have them. They may have them, they may not. I would see if I can find out whether or not they have them on record while in A-school if you are that concerned.

I always consider it a good idea to keep a couple extra copies of any transcripts still sealed and in my important file drawer. Then if something comes up and they go "Oh well, we don't have this file" you can go home, get it, and give it to them in the same day.
YN2(AW)Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Kixs View Post
Haasino,

I wasn't sure if it was you or someone else I read on this website about sending transcripts directly to the Navy College, but I read on here somewhere to send physical transcripts to the Navy College so that they have records of it. My question is, even if we sent official copies of our college transcripts to our recruiters and that they have copies in our "enlistement folder" that travels to us/gets sent to boot camp, won't the Navy College have copies of those anyway? Why do we need to send another round of official college transcripts to the Navy College anyway if we have records of it in our folder? Unless they never see those records lol. My recruiter said that they'll get copies of it anyway, unless they're lying too lol.
Also, if we were to send these offical transcript copies to the Navy College, when should we do so? During A school?

thanks in advance
That's correct. Here's the info I posted about it a while back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
I wanted to throw up some information for all of the Future Sailors and junior enlisted personnel who may not know the basic procedures for earning advancement points with your college degree. The specifics are outlines in NAVADMIN 301/07, albeit with some outdated info...

The basics are this: even though you gave your recruiter your college transcript and got E2 or E3 out of RTC, the Navy has not officially recognized your education for the purpose of advancement. In order to have your degree officially entered and recognized for advancement, you're going to need to arrange to have an offical sealed transcript sent from your college to the Virtual Education Center, which is part of the Navy College Program.

I'm not going to go too far into the details of it because most of your are a ways away from worrying about advancement to Petty Officer... but I just want to put the basics out there so that you remember to ask once you get through "A" School and are looking at competing for advancement. I wouldn't have known about the process myself if one of the guys on my crew hadn't just gone through the verification process himself.
To summarize, the transcripts you give to your recruiter only got recorded by MEPS for the purpose of giving you a higher paygrade... they need to be sent to the Virtual Education Center directly from your college in order to be properly and officially recorded. Photocopies of opened transcripts are apparently good enough to give you more money, but not good enough to be officially recorded. Once you get to A School and have access to NMCI computers, you can check your Electronic Training Jacket and NSIPS profile to double-check your education status... unless it specifically lists your degree, major, and college, then you'll need to have a sealed transcript sent to VEC.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #12
Agrias
**Active Duty**

Agrias is on a distinguished road

would you only send your transcript to VEC if you had a degree? would you bother if you had credits but didn't finish the degree?
Agrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #13
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrias View Post
would you only send your transcript to VEC if you had a degree? would you bother if you had credits but didn't finish the degree?
I'm not sure of the details... but I'd say send them whatever you've got. If you're going to use TA while serving, it's better to get every credit you've already completed documented. I'd recommend calling the number listed in the link I posted above and asking them directly.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #14
WarriorQueen

WarriorQueen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
3) Bring a wristwatch, but understand you only get to wear it if you're in a leadership position (and for inspections, RCPO only). But you can keep it in your drawer and use it to wake yourself up for watch, pre-reveille shave, etc.
So we won't be issued or be able to purchase wrist watches? I don't know where I got this but somehow I was under the impression it would be part of our uniform. I feel dumb. I also need to buy one now. Lol.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:47 AM   #15
Just4Kixs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
2.). You will not be taxed unless you get stationed in California. Active duty military stationed outside the state don't get taxed... nor do they have to file a state tax return.
I was re-visiting fórums about tax exemptions and how this goes into play and was wondering where you got this source? Is this just for California? Other states follow a similar rule if you're not stationed in your home state (where you enlisted)?
Also, how would we be able to apply for state tax exemption? Would they cover this with various state forms in boot camp for us to fill out?
Old 06-06-2015, 07:15 AM   #16
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Kixs View Post
I was re-visiting fórums about tax exemptions and how this goes into play and was wondering where you got this source? Is this just for California? Other states follow a similar rule if you're not stationed in your home state (where you enlisted)?
Also, how would we be able to apply for state tax exemption? Would they cover this with various state forms in boot camp for us to fill out?
I was a CA resident stationed in IL and FL, and I didn't have to pay CA state taxes. Now I'm a WA resident stationed in WA, and I still don't have to pay state taxes. DFAS knows the rules, and if they see that you're not stationed in CA, they won't set up your pay to be taxed.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:20 AM   #17
LT Guppy

I want to say there are about 20 states that won't charge you state taxes (Arizona is another one). Like Haasino mentioned, DFAS will have the list (I ink it's on their website)

Old 06-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #18
blacktemplar

blacktemplar is on a distinguished road

Can I bring my own razor to boot?
Old 06-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #19
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktemplar View Post
Not that I know of. They supply you with a pretty good one in my opinion

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #20
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
I want to say there are about 20 states that won't charge you state taxes (Arizona is another one). Like Haasino mentioned, DFAS will have the list (I ink it's on their website)
Yup, Florida is one as well... a lot of guys changed residency to FL while I was at VP-30. The automation can be a pain in the ass though too... I went to SERE in San Diego on my way from VP-30 to my current command, so technically I had two week PCS orders in CA. I was taxed for about 3 months afterward until we could re certify that I was not longer stationed in CA.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #21
Just4Kixs

Thanks for the info!!
Old 06-06-2015, 04:11 PM   #22
Matt

Quote:
Honestly you can bring anything you want to boot, they really don't check what you bring in during night of arrival. You should see some of the things an 800 division will bring into bootcamp... just make sure whatever it is will fit in your AB drawer.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #23
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Honestly you can bring anything you want to boot, they really don't check what you bring in during night of arrival. You should see some of the things an 800 division will bring into bootcamp... just make sure whatever it is will fit in your AB drawer.
Don't do it. Someone will eventually notice your razor doesn't match everyone else's, you'll be found out, and you will suffer for one of the stupidest reasons I've ever heard.

I was issued a Mach 5, which as multi-blade razors go is pretty much top of the line. (I preferred a Mach 3 for value and ease of cleaning, until I switched to an old-school safety razor.) But for the very short time you're there, the 5 will serve perfectly well, and you can throw it away the minute you leave RTC if you like.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #24
Matt

Quote:
Don't do it. Someone will eventually notice your razor doesn't match everyone else's, you'll be found out, and you will suffer for one of the stupidest reasons I've ever heard.

I was issued a Mach 5, which as multi-blade razors go is pretty much top of the line. (I preferred a Mach 3 for value and ease of cleaning, until I switched to an old-school safety razor.) But for the very short time you're there, the 5 will serve perfectly well, and you can throw it away the minute you leave RTC if you like.
It doesn't have to match everyone elses, does it? When I was there we all bought different stuff the first time we went to the NEX anyways... guys bought boxers to wear instead of skivvies and all sorts of stuff (new toothpaste! new razors! new shampoo! new soap! etc...) and the rdc's didn't care at all.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #25
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Not everyone's RDCs are so cavalier. I know mine would have lost their minds if anyone was caught trying to wear non-issued skivvies, much less keeping them in their rack for inspection.

It's a matter of integrity as well, however small. Don't smuggle shit. You aren't special.

Templar: Unless the razor you're already using is somehow necessary for you due to a medical condition (and I'm sure it's not, and you were just asking a simple question), no, don't bring it. You'll do fine with what's issued, or what you buy later at the NEX if you really need to, and you can have your own back in two months.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #26
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

Oh god civilian skivies? My RDCs would have absolutely lost it. My RDCs were asmo happy too... Would have ended badly lol

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."

Old 06-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #27
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Quote:
It doesn't have to match everyone elses, does it? When I was there we all bought different stuff the first time we went to the NEX anyways... guys bought boxers to wear instead of skivvies and all sorts of stuff (new toothpaste! new razors! new shampoo! new soap! etc...) and the rdc's didn't care at all.
It wasn't immediately apparent (mostly because 800 divs aren't supposed to talk to anyone else), but I was in Ship 4 while I was broken and y'all were coddled by bootcamp standards. Physically, I'm sure you guys were challenged more than the rest of us, but for the mundane things like meals and watch you had a lot more leeway and less bullshit.

For instance, during the time I was there all of Ship's Staff was RCU because the 3 800 divs in the ship were "too busy". Because putting the people on crutches on quarterdeck watch all night made more sense . . .
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #28
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Skivvies? Only time I wore skivvies at boot camp was for dress white inspection.

Not all 800 divisions were like that, my RDC's flipped on some guy for buying listerine at the NEX. The first trip or two to the NEX was pretty strict but towards the end they loosened up a lot. The last week we went almost everyday, there just wasn't anything else to do.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:43 PM   #29
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureND View Post
Skivvies? Only time I wore skivvies at boot camp was for dress white inspection.

Not all 800 divisions were like that, my RDC's flipped on some guy for buying listerine at the NEX. The first trip or two to the NEX was pretty strict but towards the end they loosened up a lot. The last week we went almost everyday, there just wasn't anything else to do.
My RDCs really didn't like us and we didn't get to do anything like that. Didn't ever go to recruit heaven either. We were like the only division in our training group that didn't go. A 300 division in ship 4 with RDCs that normally do 800 divisions lol

Old 06-07-2015, 04:05 PM   #30
MickeyMcD

MickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to behold

Skivvies? Haha...the entire 1400 section in my division was affectionately termed the "No-skivvies guild" and our RDCs honestly didn't care...just as long as we wore the PT shorts and didn't buy boxers or something lol
Graduated RTC: 20150529 194/13
MickeyMcD is offline   Reply With Quote