NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Submarine (Bubbleheads)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
jbpr77

jbpr77 is on a distinguished road
Default Choosing submarine class on Sub School.

Greetings,

I'm wondering about if is possible that I can choose one specific Submarine Class, such as SSBN Class later on Submarine School, or they send me to any submarine class that they want. I'll be very greatful for any information or advice.

Regards,

JGB
jbpr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #2
CoolHandL

CoolHandL is just really niceCoolHandL is just really nice

You don't say what school. Ultimately it is needs of the Navy. You may have an opportunity to state a preference. The way it worked in my son's STS class, there were a certain number of billets in various homeports. They got to choose locations, in order of class rank, but not the boat. That mostly amounts to choosing the type of boat since all the boomers are in Kings Bay and Kitsap.
CoolHandL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #3
jbpr77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandL View Post
You don't say what school. Ultimately it is needs of the Navy. You may have an opportunity to state a preference. The way it worked in my son's STS class, there were a certain number of billets in various homeports. They got to choose locations, in order of class rank, but not the boat. That mostly amounts to choosing the type of boat since all the boomers are in Kings Bay and Kitsap.
Greetings,

I have been trusting that I can choose SSBN submarine if I decide to being a YNS. But in my first tour it's impossible to do, in accordance with what you say.
Under that premise I think I should select another job. Because I don't want to be submerged underwater up to nine months for three to four years.

Regards,

JGB
Old 02-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #4
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Not being able to really choose which type of sub was the very reason my son as a nuke went surface on a carrier...

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
CoolHandL

CoolHandL is just really niceCoolHandL is just really nice

Ah, OK. With YNS you would spend a couple of months in Meridian, MS then just go up to Groton for BESS. I don't know how assignments would work from there, esp. if YNS is not separate in A school. BESS is pretty short. They made some change in YNS recently, but I don't really understand the implications.
The YN is an important guy on the boat.
Attack subs do 6-8 month deployments, but on something like an 18 month cycle, so they go about a year in port or the shipyard, during which they will do short underways. For that matter, you could end up on a PCU or a boat going into the yard for extended maintenance, and go a couple years without much sea time. But surface ships are pretty much the same way, you would just have better communications and a bit more living space.
Boomers go out for shorter durations, but more often. SSNs and SSGNs get to make port calls, SSBNs don't.
To be guaranteed an Ohio class, you would have to be something like an MT.

Join the Navy, see the world. 3/4 of it is water.
CoolHandL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #6
jbpr77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandL View Post
Ah, OK. With YNS you would spend a couple of months in Meridian, MS then just go up to Groton for BESS. I don't know how assignments would work from there, esp. if YNS is not separate in A school. BESS is pretty short. They made some change in YNS recently, but I don't really understand the implications.
The YN is an important guy on the boat.
Attack subs do 6-8 month deployments, but on something like an 18 month cycle, so they go about a year in port or the shipyard, during which they will do short underways. For that matter, you could end up on a PCU or a boat going into the yard for extended maintenance, and go a couple years without much sea time. But surface ships are pretty much the same way, you would just have better communications and a bit more living space.
Boomers go out for shorter durations, but more often. SSNs and SSGNs get to make port calls, SSBNs don't.
To be guaranteed an Ohio class, you would have to be something like an MT.

Join the Navy, see the world. 3/4 of it is water.

Thanks a lot for this information.I need to do maybe one last question about how is sea duty rotation schedule. If first or second or third sea duty tour on any job require from 3 to 5 years each one, how is the time period divided into sea/port period?. For example, first sea tour is about 4 years, then from these 4 years you can spend 10 months on a ship and later 2 months on port. Second year the same schedule and so forth, until finish first 4 years sea tour. It's is correct?.

Regards,

JGB
Old 02-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #7
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpr77 View Post
Thanks a lot for this information.I need to do maybe one last question about how is sea duty rotation schedule. If first or second or third sea duty tour on any job require from 3 to 5 years each one, how is the time period divided into sea/port period?. For example, first sea tour is about 4 years, then from these 4 years you can spend 10 months on a ship and later 2 months on port. Second year the same schedule and so forth, until finish first 4 years sea tour. It's is correct?.

Regards,

JGB
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here. The sea/shore rotation is how long you'll be a part of a certain command. IE 4 years on a boat, 3 at a shore command, etc, etc. The latter part of your post seems like it's asking maybe how often do you go out to sea, which just totally depends on your ships schedule.

If you can clarify your question a bit maybe we could be more help.

/r
CTT1
Old 02-20-2017, 03:36 AM   #8
jbpr77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here. The sea/shore rotation is how long you'll be a part of a certain command. IE 4 years on a boat, 3 at a shore command, etc, etc. The latter part of your post seems like it's asking maybe how often do you go out to sea, which just totally depends on your ships schedule.

If you can clarify your question a bit maybe we could be more help.

/r
CTT1
Greetings,

Yes, I understand how is sea/shore duty rotations. But I'm not clear about how often ships go out to sea and then they come back home port. It's depends on the ship schedule and it's not the same schedule to all ships but to understand how these different schedules can vary, how has been your experience with those schedules, or any experience that you know about different ships schedules?

Regards,

JGB
Old 02-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #9
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpr77 View Post
Greetings,

Yes, I understand how is sea/shore duty rotations. But I'm not clear about how often ships go out to sea and then they come back home port. It's depends on the ship schedule and it's not the same schedule to all ships but to understand how these different schedules can vary, how has been your experience with those schedules, or any experience that you know about different ships schedules?

Regards,

JGB
It really varies throughout the year. The ships are constantly going through maintenance periods, training, exercises, you name it. So there really isn't a baseline of how often you'll be back and forth. It's flexible.

As a Submariner however, you'll do crew rotations. So the time your crew isn't on the boat, you obviously won't be going underway.

/r
CTT1
Old 06-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #10
scott.henry

scott.henry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
It really varies throughout the year. The ships are constantly going through maintenance periods, training, exercises, you name it. So there really isn't a baseline of how often you'll be back and forth. It's flexible.

As a Submariner however, you'll do crew rotations. So the time your crew isn't on the boat, you obviously won't be going underway.

/r
CTT1
The crew rotation is only for SSBN/SSGN. Fast boats do not rotate crews. I have been on both types and I will take a fast boat any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Boomers have their perks like a little more space and the whole crew swap thing, but they don't go anywhere. They poke holes in the water for 3 months and come home. Also, because of the 2 crew thing, there is really no ownership. Everything is a "Blue Crew problem" or a "Gold Crew problem." There's a lot of passing the buck. Also, in my humble opinion, that 3 months away from the boat is very detrimental to your operating proficiency. You get rusty pretty quick once you're away from the boat and not in an operational mindset.

"If you can't write it down, you don't understand it."
-ADM H.G. Rickover
scott.henry is offline   Reply With Quote