NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
lilyputian

lilyputian is on a distinguished road

Wow, thank you so much for all the info! I'm glad to know my BS meter is still intact. It was definitely going off when my friend was telling me the reasons I shouldn't go for CTI. It sounds perfect for me since I'm not super thrilled about the idea of being at sea (though of course I wouldn't mind, since I obviously voluntarily selected the Navy).
Old 07-06-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
coopdeville

coopdeville is on a distinguished road

I've read as a CTT you can volunteer for Aircrew. How does that process work and did you ever think about doing it? So you know much about CTR? Boring, exciting, cool? Any of those things?
Old 07-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

coopdeville:

As a T brancher you can absolutely volunteer for Aircrew. A few shipmates of mine went that route and they absolutely love it. You would request it either from the detailer or someone at the schoolhouse while you're in A-School.

As for CTR, the main difference between our rates is that CTT's focus on Electronic Intelligence (ELINT, AKA radars on ships, subs, aircraft, and missiles) where CTR's are more focused on Communications Intelligence (COMINT, radios and such). Both play HUGE roles in the intelligence community. I would say CTR's have a bit more flexibility in terms of different kinds of possible billets they can take, but if you're looking at aircrew, CTT would be the way to go. The only reason I say this is because as a CTT you would actually be part of the squadron whereas a CTR just shows up to fly when they're needed and aren't attached to the squadron fulltime.

Hope that helps and let me know if you need anything else!

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Just to piggyback on the CTT aircrew question... if you pick up orders, you'll have to attend Naval Aircrew Candidate School in Pensacola, and SERE in either Maine or San Diego. Take a look at what's in store for both those schools to make sure you're up for the physical and swimming requirements.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
coopdeville

coopdeville is on a distinguished road

I love that you have to go to SERE and NACCS to become Aircrew. I'm currently at 8:40 in the 500m, 67 push ups, 81 sit ups and 6 pull ups. I've been working my booty off in the off chance I have the opportunity for Aircrew, or CTR and volunteer for it. I want to be more than ready if the chance presents itself.

I first met with my recruiter in March weighing 217 and I could barely knock out 25 push up and sit-ups. I'm now down to 190 with the numbers previously mentioned. I'm taking my opportunity to join the Navy very seriously and I can't wait to serve.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Coop;

GOOD! I knew a guy with a VERY similar story. He wasn't in shape at all before he joined and by the time both of us hit the fleet, that dude was a BEAST (oh and he obviously passed Aircrew school with flying colors)

If you want it bad enough then you'll put the work in to get it. It doesn't sound like that's a hard thing for you to wrap your head around. I'm sure you'll do great, just keep it up.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cryptologic, ctm, ctn, ctr, ctt