NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTI = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN INTERPRETIVE

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #1
doodelookout

doodelookout is on a distinguished road
Default "A" School start dates

Hey Everyone,

I'm wondering if anybody has information on when the various language schools start.

Specifically, when does the Chinese language school start? Arabic?
doodelookout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodelookout View Post
Hey Everyone,

I'm wondering if anybody has information on when the various language schools start.

Specifically, when does the Chinese language school start? Arabic?
They go year round. Once you get to DLI you'll wait for a spot in a class and you'll start whenever they get you a spot.

It's not like college where they have specific start dates or semesters or something. Dates can change all the time.
Even if you did know the dates, you wouldn't know which class you would be going into anyway.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
They go year round. Once you get to DLI you'll wait for a spot in a class and you'll start whenever they get you a spot.

It's not like college where they have specific start dates or semesters or something. Dates can change all the time.
Even if you did know the dates, you wouldn't know which class you would be going into anyway.

/r
CTT1
CTT1, I know every other A school in the navy works like this, but this is actually not exactly how DLI works.

It is a rotating system where new classes start every couple weeks, but I branchers are assigned to a specific class beginning on a specific date while still in bootcamp, so we know exactly when we will class up as soon as we get orders. Occasionally things will change while students are in hold if a class is over or under booked, but that isn't super common.

The dates are determined by availability of rooms/teaching teams - when the most senior Chinese class graduates, the next class will start. Knowing the date doesn't necessarily help though, because the students assigned to this class will cover a range of bootcamp divisions. It doesn't matter if the class doesn't start for another month if the division before you claimed the last seat.

P.S. Hi, I'm the resident CTI2. And yes, I'm a Chiling.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:58 PM   #4
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
CTT1, I know every other A school in the navy works like this, but this is actually not exactly how DLI works.

It is a rotating system where new classes start every couple weeks, but I branchers are assigned to a specific class beginning on a specific date while still in bootcamp, so we know exactly when we will class up as soon as we get orders. Occasionally things will change while students are in hold if a class is over or under booked, but that isn't super common.

The dates are determined by availability of rooms/teaching teams - when the most senior Chinese class graduates, the next class will start. Knowing the date doesn't necessarily help though, because the students assigned to this class will cover a range of bootcamp divisions. It doesn't matter if the class doesn't start for another month if the division before you claimed the last seat.

P.S. Hi, I'm the resident CTI2. And yes, I'm a Chiling.
CTI2!? The last time we talked I think you were still at DLI, has it been that long already!?!?!?!?!

BTW I'm about to finish up out here :D

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
classified9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:23 PM   #5
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by classified9 View Post
CTI2!? The last time we talked I think you were still at DLI, has it been that long already!?!?!?!?!

BTW I'm about to finish up out here :D
Well, I graduated in September, picked up 2nd off the March exam. Most of us had Ps, so it came down to test scores and whether or not your degree was on record.

You might have a slightly harder time of it as a Spanling, since your quotas are lower, but picking up off the first test is definitely possible.

Good luck on your DLPT!
Old 07-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post

Leave it to you guys to rock the boat... Damn CTI's haha

Thanks for the updated information!!

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:43 AM   #7
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

ejrwelch is on a distinguished road

So what I am getting from this thread is that as soon as classified graduates we will have almost all the NIOCs covered on this forum CTI wise! Woohoo!
ejrwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #8
classified9
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejrwelch View Post
So what I am getting from this thread is that as soon as classified graduates we will have almost all the NIOCs covered on this forum CTI wise! Woohoo!
HOOYAH you all have any good DLPT strategies? Just murdered opi yesterday.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #9
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

ejrwelch is on a distinguished road

if you feel like you did so bad that you just want to cry and eat all the (insert favorite food ) in the world... you probably did decently! and sleep before the test... common sense I know... and I hate to be the person to say this but it worked for me and my people lol but just relax.... dont cram... watch some movies in the lounge... and pray the systems crash like the do at a good point so you'll get a feel for the test before you have to take it again the next day lol
ejrwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:34 PM   #10
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by classified9 View Post
HOOYAH you all have any good DLPT strategies? Just murdered opi yesterday.
Don't do any language (or as little as possible) right before the test. You want to let everything you've learned settle in your brain a little, so you're not psyching yourself out going "I just looked at this, why can't I remember what it means???". Our Chief gave us that one, and it worked pretty well for me. We had a 4 day leading up to the exam and I studied no Chinese over that period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejrwelch View Post
if you feel like you did so bad that you just want to cry and eat all the (insert favorite food ) in the world... you probably did decently! and sleep before the test... common sense I know... and I hate to be the person to say this but it worked for me and my people lol but just relax.... dont cram... watch some movies in the lounge... and pray the systems crash like the do at a good point so you'll get a feel for the test before you have to take it again the next day lol
The systems are crashing a lot right now. I've been seeing updates from the younger classes in my division on facebook. It happened at this time of year last year too . . .
Old 07-14-2015, 11:41 PM   #11
classified9
**Active Duty**

Solid advice. I've been doing audios and just watching my target language shows on netflix. I'm more than confident i'll do great, but fear of complacency drives me harder than anything on this planet. I could dig through some threads here and find a long epic of how long it took me to get in the navy and i'm finally here. Gonna make you guys proud, gonna be our Texas lliason for this site hahaha.

Tags
cti, dates, dli, language, start