NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
Naasher

Naasher is on a distinguished road
Default Reenlistment bonuses

I know that reenlistment bonuses are offered to enlisted sailors in the nuclear field but what happens if you decide you want to go officer? Are you still offered enlistment bonuses, because if not wouldn't it literally pay to stay enlisted?
Naasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
MickeyMcD

MickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to behold

You could reenlist ....and then pursue the officer career path. But otherwise, to answer your question, no. The bonus is purely for reenlistment and retention. However, I know officers have a bonus involved with Nuclear Power, but I don't know if prior enlisted are eligible for this.
Graduated RTC: 20150529 194/13
MickeyMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
Naasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMcD View Post
You could reenlist ....and then pursue the officer career path. But otherwise, to answer your question, no. The bonus is purely for reenlistment and retention. However, I know officers have a bonus involved with Nuclear Power, but I don't know if prior enlisted are eligible for this.
then why not just stay enlisted there doesn't seem to be much incentive to pursue the officer route
Old 08-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Officers get paid more every month, if that's all you're interested in...

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
MickeyMcD

MickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
Officers get paid more every month, if that's all you're interested in...
Some might also want the sense of prestige that comes with it. But from what I've heard, the Nuke Officer training pipeline is exponentially harder than the enlisted one, so the challenge itself could be a good draw as well. There's plenty of reasons to go the officer route as a Nuke, it all just depends on the individual sailor.
Graduated RTC: 20150529 194/13
MickeyMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

They're two totally different jobs.

Also prior enlisted nukes don't necessarily become officer nukes. I know a couple prior enlisted nukes who used commissioning as a way out of the field.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
Naasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post

Also prior enlisted nukes don't necessarily become officer nukes. I know a couple prior enlisted nukes who used commissioning as a way out of the field.
So lets say you are selected for STA-21 through NNPTC or at another point are you required to become Nuke officer or can you go IWO??
Old 08-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #8
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naasher View Post
So lets say you are selected for STA-21 through NNPTC or at another point are you required to become Nuke officer or can you go IWO??
The people I know who went from nuke to something else did so after their first enlistment, but it shouldn't make a difference.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
drego86

drego86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I know a nuke currently in the training pipeline with me whose STA-21 package was denied solely on the basis of this person choosing to apply to anything but Nuke officer.

So they will tell you that you can apply for anything but they really want you to go nuke officer.
drego86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #10
Naasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by drego86 View Post
I know a nuke currently in the training pipeline with me whose STA-21 package was denied solely on the basis of this person choosing to apply to anything but Nuke officer.

So they will tell you that you can apply for anything but they really want you to go nuke officer.
Are there any added benefits to going officer other than the status, because otherwise in the pipeline shown here it seems that it will pay to stay enlisted because from what I can tell as an ETNSS you are looking to make over $50,000 a year every year after the 3rd year in which that year alone you will pull in close to $90,000, and then after year 10 forget it the money is bonkers!
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...20Roadshow.pdf

So is there any pay over your standard officer pay going officer or will you essentially take a pay cut for a while?
Old 08-26-2014, 01:16 AM   #11
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are there any added benefits to going officer other than the status, because otherwise in the pipeline shown here it seems that it will pay to stay enlisted because from what I can tell as an ETNSS you are looking to make over $50,000 a year every year after the 3rd year in which that year alone you will pull in close to $90,000, and then after year 10 forget it the money is bonkers!
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...20Roadshow.pdf

So is there any pay over your standard officer pay going officer or will you essentially take a pay cut for a while?
No idea about the pay but there is the wardroom which serves fewer so the food is probably better than standard galley fair. Officer quarters are a lot roomier, there's more privacy. Plus you'll never work again for your entire navy career, I mean look at Guppy the navy pays her to surf the web. (I swear I'm joking here).

My eventual plan is to move to Canada but if I like the navy enough I might stay in the U.S. so I'm planning on guiding my career to build an outstanding LDO packet. I've already been won over by the Officer benefits.
BloodyPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:06 AM   #12
LT Guppy

Yes, there is an annual incentive pay for nuclear officers.

Tags
bonus, nuke