NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTI = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN INTERPRETIVE

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 09-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Buffalo_Sailor

Buffalo_Sailor is on a distinguished road
Default CTI AD CREO listing

Hello All,

I recently DEP'ed in, this past August. Got a CTI rating, and have a pretty decent DLAB (123). I know this thread has gone a little cold, but maybe someone can answer my questions about this rating as well.

1) I saw the quotation below posted earlier in the thread by SAMAKB, and was wondering what the 1, 2, 3 vs. 1, 1, 1 mean regarding the ostensible need for more linguists of the respective language. Could someone clue me in, please?

"I believe the demand for Arabic and Persian will remain higher than both Mandarin and Korean. The most recent AD CREO list (I could find), lists both Korean and Chinese as 1, 2, 3 whereas Persian is 1, 1, 1 and Arabic is 1, 1, 2. With the recent news with North Korea it would make sense for there to be a small increase with the far east asian languages. But then again, North Korea has been making similar threats for some time." [/QUOTE]

2) I have already learned a CAT IV language, Arabic, to a very high proficiency. I scored a 2+/2+ on the DLPTQ 5 that I took last year, and have advanced since then. I read that it is not likely that the powers that be will put you into that same language at DLI (which is fine by me), and will most likely encourage that you pick another language grouped with the language one already has proficiency in. I aspire to learn Mandarin and focus on cyber-security, which seemingly has nothing to do with Arabic (though one would be surprised). Does anyone know of a similar scenario occurring where the linguist got to pick, or happened to be assigned to study, a language in a different grouping? I've heard a myriad of things ranging from "If you score over 120 then you can pretty much pick your choice of the CAT IV languages," to "Chilings and Korlings have saturated numbers and are being closed," to "They're sending Arabic speakers to dialect training and not accepting anymore linguists to focus on Modern Standard Arabic"... and all of this info is as current as 2008 until 2012... Mind you, I have considered that the DLI process could take up to over a year, so how good are the AD CREO billets from 2012 for someone who won't graduate from A-school until 2014? .... Btw the link for the AD CREO leads to a page that's under construction.

I am just hoping to get a clue as of what to expect and hope that my score, and the significant influence of China in the Middle East and North Africa will make a case for me should I be given the opportunity to voice my preference.

Thanks All.
Buffalo_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Alright let's see. I'm currently at DLI for Mandarin, and I won't be graduating until late 2014.

You started a new thread, so I'm not sure what your quotation is referencing.

What language you get is somewhat based on choice and somewhat on luck. When you're in bootcamp all of the CTIs in your group (for us it was ours and brother div's, around 10 altogether but that's unusual for just 2 divs) and talk to the CTI on post about what's available. He or she has specific slots that are open for him to class you into. It all depends on what he has and who else is there.

The first time I went there, he had lots of slots for Korean and Farsi, a few for Arabic and Russian. He tried to put all of us in a language that we wanted and had possible experience with (e.g. giving Farsi to someone who already knew French) but he was limited by the slots he had open. I got Korean, since I already knew Japanese (Chinese had been my first choice, but he didn't have it). But then I got hurt in bootcamp and wound up staying there past when my original class would have started. So I went to see him again, and he didn't have any Korean left, but I reminded him that I'd wanted Chinese to begin with and he was able to put me in the next class.

Within my class we have people who already speak a bunch of different languages - Arabic included.

As far as not needing which ever language - the Navy's still putting people in all variants of Arabic, Russian, Farsi, Spanish, Hebrew, Chinese and Korean. As far as numbers go I would guesstimate Arabic, Farsi and Spanish are the most common and Hebrew is the least.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Buffalo_Sailor

argh... Sorry about that. I thought I was replying to a post. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience. You're confirming what I had suspected; that all the NECs for CTI are being filled more or less equally since they're all undermanned-- a "1" on the CREO list--, and if you're experienced in one region then it is more likely you'll to get another language in that region. i.e. Arabic speaker will probably get another middle eastern language like Farsi. I'm keep optimistic. I would rather go to HI over GA...

I hope your injury recovery is going/ has gone well, and best of luck at DLI.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

I'm pretty much fine now, the injury happened in January.

Oh, I forgot to mention - if you're that good at Arabic already there's a chance they might stick you in an advanced class. I've heard of advanced Russian and Spanish, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was an Arabic one, although it's probably held rather infrequently.

The reason they tend to stick with familiar languages is because the failure rate is so high here. I'd guesstimate over all 25% of people who start will fail out or roll and another 10% will get all the way thru but not pass the DLPT in the end.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
Buffalo_Sailor

I had heard something to that effect-- that they could send you to a dialect course, or advanced course otherwise. I'm just gonna stop thinking about it since I'm not due to ship out until December.