NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTI = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN INTERPRETIVE

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
Grif

Grif is on a distinguished road
Default Study Methods for DLI

I'm shipping out to Great Lakes pretty soon and I was wondering if anyone would be able and willing to give me their $0.02:

I scored a 97 AFQT and a 117 DLAB so I believe I have it in me to succeed at DLI however I've never really had to study and I highly doubt that will be the case at DLI. What are the best study methods that current/former CTI's would recommend?

On a side note, I know that it's largely dependent on the classes and billets available when I speak to the CTI Detailer, but what are my chances of landing Russian in regards to the Needs of the Navy as a whole?

Thanks for any and all responses
Grif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

So the first thing to keep in mind is that all of the schoolhouses are different. Your teachers are native speakers who were raised in that culture and their expectations of you as a student follow their cultural bias. I'm a Chiling, so I can vouch for the fact that the Asian schoolhouses give a lot of homework and take not doing it very seriously. You will get counselling chits. I've been told the Arabic teachers are the reverse.

In general: keep up on your work. Don't leave it to the last minute and don't cram before tests. The sleep deprivation will only make you test worse. I preferred to work ahead (we had the entire week's schedule for homework laid out for us) so that I could have some days to do other things in the evening. Writing out your vocab can really help you to remember it, but you're also going to have to go back and review regularly. In general, know what works for you. Some people study better at the library, some in the classrooms after hours or in their barracks rooms. Ask for a tutor if you feel like you're struggling.

I would guesstimate overall proportions as Arabic > Chinese > Spanish/Farsi > Korean/Russian > Hebrew > one-offs for people already fluent in a big 6 language. If you look at the manning page for Russian, they've been graduating around 27 Navy linguists per year recently.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote