NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTI = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN INTERPRETIVE

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #1
Cain

Cain is on a distinguished road
Default Couple of questions about CTI Language/Interpretive

I was talking with a friend who was former Navy (just released a year ago or so), and he told me that because my wife is Chinese (non U.S. Citizen, Green Card resident), and because I am going to China this Summer for an Internship, that it could cause serious difficulties for me when trying to go for this rate (I was recommended this rate around 3 months ago, because of my proficiency with Chinese). I was just wondering if anybody here knows if that is true?

Also, the DLAB is what you take if you have no experience with other languages, to test your aptitude for learning a new one, correct? So the DLPT is what you take to see if your proficiency is well enough with a certain language to join, right?

So, if I were to score high for the DLPT, I would spend less time at Monterey, in theory?

Thanks for any help, just wanted some answers from people who are actually in, cause I just have a thing about trusting recruiters, I know it is their job, and I know a great deal of them are honest, just had bad experiences with several over the years.

Thank you for you time, and have a great day Sirs/Madams.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Having any time abroad is going to make the process of getting a clearance a little more difficult, but in the end you should be alright. As long as you're not into anything fishy that is. Just make sure you have the correct dates of when you were out of the country, where you stayed, ect.

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:55 PM   #3
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I was talking with a friend who was former Navy (just released a year ago or so), and he told me that because my wife is Chinese (non U.S. Citizen, Green Card resident), and because I am going to China this Summer for an Internship, that it could cause serious difficulties for me when trying to go for this rate (I was recommended this rate around 3 months ago, because of my proficiency with Chinese). I was just wondering if anybody here knows if that is true?
This will raise a lot of red flags for an investigator. It ties you to foreign nationals and places you inside that foreign country, which in this case is one that is incredibly hostile to our intelligence organizations. So yes, this would be a big deal and one that could be grounds for denial of clearance. (Nothing is set in stone, but this would be a big factor in your investigation results.)

For one, this opens the risk that you outright may be associated with intelligence gathering for that foreign government. But what most people don't think about is the more realistic possibility of that government using leverage against your wife's family in order to get you to start spying for them. How hard do you think it would be for the Chinese Intelligence organizations to just grab you or your wife next time you visit (or hell, just some of her family living there now will do just fine) and saying "you're gonna go to jail for a long, long time unless you start giving us the information we want."? That's really what would keep me up at night. Because these governments are in no way above doing that kind of thing. They will have zero issues either throwing somebody in jail or even putting bullets into people if it means they can get you to give them the access that you have.

Quote:
Also, the DLAB is what you take if you have no experience with other languages, to test your aptitude for learning a new one, correct? So the DLPT is what you take to see if your proficiency is well enough with a certain language to join, right?

So, if I were to score high for the DLPT, I would spend less time at Monterey, in theory?
You wouldn't be taking the DLPT to qualify for CTI. The DLPT is used throughout your career to gauge and track your skills in whatever language, be it the one you were assigned for work or one that you already know and want that extra pay for.

It would work like this:
  • You take the DLAB to qualify for CTI and let's say you make it.
  • You go to Monterrey and learn the language you need to. I'm not aware of anything that would shorten your training length, regardless of your previous proficiency. Bear in mind as well that you're gonna be learning other things than just purely conversational language, so they're gonna want you to stay through the entire course to make sure you're on the same page everyone else is.
  • Once you finish school and go to the Fleet, you'll need to take regular DLPT exams to verify that you're maintaining proficiency. The scores you're required to get will depend on what language you're involved with.

Quote:
Thanks for any help, just wanted some answers from people who are actually in, cause I just have a thing about trusting recruiters, I know it is their job, and I know a great deal of them are honest, just had bad experiences with several over the years.

Don't go in thinking they're trying to trick you. If they have a hard time answering CT related questions, it's most likely that they don't have much background working with us Spooks.