NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTI = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN INTERPRETIVE

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough
Default Language assignment at DLI

Good morning,

I was inquiring as to when and how CTI's are assigned their language of study at the DLI?

Thinking about picking up Rosetta Stone just so I don't get stale this summer but obviously would hate to do that and then get assigned a different language. If I put in say 4 months of Rosetta Stone in Russian would they let me have Russian at the DLI if I proved I could partially speak it? I scored a 108 DLAB.

Thanks

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
classified9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Your language is assigned in bootcamp, and it's totally dependent on what classes are starting in the 2 to 3 months after you get out of bootcamp. Sometimes there will be lots of options, sometimes there will be few. Within those constraints, they will give you what you want. They originally gave me my 2nd choice (because they didn't have my 1st choice available), but when I got hurt at bootcamp I missed the start for that class and they got me my 1st choice instead.

The only exception I've heard of to this rule is: people who have enough experience in a language to take a DLPT in it and do fairly well might be able to petition to join a class that has already started. But 4 months of Rosetta Stone probably isn't going to get you that far, these were people who had either studied the language for years or grew up speaking it at home.

So basically, you might get lucky, you might not.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
amberdelane

amberdelane is on a distinguished road

I know this is from May, but I was hoping to get an idea of what language I may get with a DLAB score of 108. I don't want to be blindsided in basic.

Thank you!
amberdelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberdelane View Post
I know this is from May, but I was hoping to get an idea of what language I may get with a DLAB score of 108. I don't want to be blindsided in basic.

Thank you!
Think of being a CTI like a blank slate.

You tested into a certain range of languages. While you're at boot they'll take a look at what you scored and where you fit, what classes are about to start, and what kind of linguists the Navy needs at the moment.

It's not about you as an individual, its really more about what's going on within the Navy at the time you're coming through the pipeline.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
chemelle1

chemelle1 is on a distinguished road

What languages are available in general?
chemelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Dlab score over 100: Spanish.
Dlab score over 105: Spanish, Russian, Farsi, Hebrew (rarest language)
Dlab score over 110: Spanish, Russian, Farsi, Hebrew, Chinese, Korean, Arabic (variants including Iraqi dialect, levantine dialect, modern standard Arabic)

Waivers do exist, but the one guy I knew who got Chinese with a 109 dropped pretty early.

There are cooler languages like Indonesian, and Hindi available for 2nd tours. I have also heard of people fluent in Spanish taking Portuguese.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
chemelle1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
Dlab score over 110: Spanish, Russian, Farsi, Hebrew, Chinese, Korean, Arabic (variants including Iraqi dialect, levantine dialect, modern standard Arabic)

Waivers do exist, but the one guy I knew who got Chinese with a 109 dropped pretty early.

There are cooler languages like Indonesian, and Hindi available for 2nd tours. I have also heard of people fluent in Spanish taking Portuguese.
Wait, you have access to other languages after reenlisting?
I scored a 103, so it looks like I'll be doing Spanish. I'm not particularly interested in Spanish, but if there are other languages after the first tour then I guess there is a silver lining.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
chemelle1

what is housing like for married sailors?
Old 12-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #9
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

There's only enough houses for some army officers on base, everyone else lives out in town or over on ft. Ord. Generally you'll get set up in the barracks for a few weeks until you find a place and get the paperwork done.

Living off base can be a hassle for uniform changes and you'll probably have to wake up earlier than everyone else to get on base for stuff like morning pt or quarters.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #10
Memzicle

Memzicle is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Curious...
I understand that language assignment is mostly based on what the Navy needs... But I was wondering if there are instances where they assign a language in a higher category than what you scored on the DLAB? For instance, I scored a 102 (I know I could've done better, ugh)... Now, that score places me with Spanish, which I'm content with if that's what I get. But say for example they are in need for Russian or Korean... Is there any possibility they would pair a lower DLAB score with a higher language category, if that is what the Navy needed at the time?

Also, you mentioned waivers... How does one go about getting a language waiver?
Memzicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:35 PM   #11
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

If you have a 102, you are not getting Korean. Full stop. Korean's generally considered the most difficult of the CAT IVs.

There's a possibility for Russian if no Spanish slots are available in your window, but it's a small chance. The guy I mention upthread got Chinese with a 109 because only Chinese and Spanish were available at the time and the Spanish slots went to people who had lower DLAB scores than he did. He wound up taking Spanish in the end though. DLI drop rates are no joke.

As I understand, if the detailers did place you in Russian, they would do a waiver. It's not something you get to decide.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #12
Memzicle

Quote:
If you have a 102, you are not getting Korean. Full stop. Korean's generally considered the most difficult of the CAT IVs.

There's a possibility for Russian if no Spanish slots are available in your window, but it's a small chance. The guy I mention upthread got Chinese with a 109 because only Chinese and Spanish were available at the time and the Spanish slots went to people who had lower DLAB scores than he did. He wound up taking Spanish in the end though. DLI drop rates are no joke.

As I understand, if the detailers did place you in Russian, they would do a waiver. It's not something you get to decide.
Yeah, I figured there would be a higher chance of the sky falling, than me getting a CAT IV. As mentioned, I'm totally fine with Spanish... But it's nice to know there is a chance, however small, that I could possibly get Russian. I've read somewhere on here or on Reddit that after your 1st tour, some are given the option to study a sort of sub-language? Like for example, some who were initially given Spanish, end up studying Porteguese. Where can I find perhaps a list of other offered languages besides the big 6? I'm just curious as to what else is offered. Also, is someone designated to only one of the big 6? Say, after a coupe years or so, I've accomplished Spanish...with a high profitiency.... Am I given an option to continue with another language among the big 6? Thank you so much for your help btw!
Old 05-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #13
clk128

clk128 is on a distinguished road

So I scored a 118 and got put into Hebrew, after having studied Russian in school and telling them Russian would be my number one and Hebrew my number two. She said they had 8 spots in Russian but my score was too high (even though Hebrew is also a CAT II??). The others I in my division had a 129 and a 110. She put the 129 in Iraqi Arabic, the 110 in Persian Farsi, and then because they didn't get enough people in Modern Standard Arabic moved me to MSA a couple weeks later. To my knowledge I'm the only one out of the nine CTIs in our training group who didn't get my top choice.
clk128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #14
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

ejrwelch is on a distinguished road

So I know this thread is a few weeks old! but figure I'd put my two sense in... For the DLAB they made anyone who scored under a 110 retake it when I went through boot camp in the hopes of being able to give us higher cat languages. It worked for all but one of us! Being from ATL you should probably try to steer clear of the middle eastern languages unless you want to end up back in Ga. You can study anything on your own. Navy likes to stick to the the main 6 though. Certain languages like spanish, farsi, and Arabic will also prepare you to test for additional languages (dialects and or languages that are just very similar) which can mean additional pay. ALERT program is also an option for your 2nd tour where you will go back to DLI to learn another language and then get put on deployable status. I'm hoping for those orders when I'm up for them next year! anywho good luck!
ejrwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #15
Memzicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejrwelch View Post
So I know this thread is a few weeks old! but figure I'd put my two sense in... For the DLAB they made anyone who scored under a 110 retake it when I went through boot camp in the hopes of being able to give us higher cat languages. It worked for all but one of us! Being from ATL you should probably try to steer clear of the middle eastern languages unless you want to end up back in Ga. You can study anything on your own. Navy likes to stick to the the main 6 though. Certain languages like spanish, farsi, and Arabic will also prepare you to test for additional languages (dialects and or languages that are just very similar) which can mean additional pay. ALERT program is also an option for your 2nd tour where you will go back to DLI to learn another language and then get put on deployable status. I'm hoping for those orders when I'm up for them next year! anywho good luck!

Thank you for this post! I'm very relieved that I will possibly be given another chance to retake the DLAB in boot! I originally took it on a whim, because my first MEPS visit was a disaster (I had a high heart rate), and so my navy liaison advised me to just take the DLAB to distract me from being temporarily DQ'd.
Needless to say, that test was something else. I ran out of time on a couple sections and didn't answer at least 4 questions. So I have no idea how I passed. Haha But alas, I have a 102... hoping to score higher.

I'm ok with Spanish... But Russian is my aim honestly. If I do somehow score high enough for a CAT IV and get a middle eastern language, I knew it would keep me on the east coast in GA. Haha Which does kind of suck... because I am kind of over GA living. (I'm originally from California)...

But anyways, reading about all of the drop out rates for CAT IV's kind of make me wary... Still gonna give it my all. Best of luck to you! Any more advice/info is so greatly appreciated! Ty!

Headed to boot 2016DEC13 😱☺️