NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Hospital Corpsmen G000, L500

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
HMRivera

HMRivera is on a distinguished road
Default Surgical Tech

Is anyone a surgical tech or knows anyone who is? What exactly do they do and how is the work environment? I'm considering choosing this for C school but I would like to know how it is beforehand.
HMRivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
tiffanynacole

tiffanynacole is on a distinguished road

my mom is a surg tech. what would you like to know?
Old 11-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
HMRivera

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanynacole View Post
my mom is a surg tech. what would you like to know?
I just want to know specifically what it is they do on a daily basis. Would I just be handing the doctor surgical equipment or is there more to it? What is the work environment like?
Old 11-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
tiffanynacole

surg techs (surgery assistant). you stand and help the surgeon. setting up the operating room. pulling out all the instruments needed. passing instruments during surgery and being the surgeons extra pair of hands. stitching up patients. pretty much doing whatever the surgeon needs done. my mom was on the heart team for a few years and even had to hold closed the heart when it was spitting blood. she loved her job very much. the only negative sides are long work hours. she was on call most of the time and some surgeries lasted really long. when they lost a patient it tore her up for a few days.
i had the opportunity to go in many surgeries with her and observe. the worst one had to be a csection. i almost lost my lunch.
she has now went back to school to become a nurse.
sorry for the novel. if you want to know anything else specifically i will try to answer or call her to find out more.
(:
Old 11-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
HMRivera

Quote:
surg techs (surgery assistant). you stand and help the surgeon. setting up the operating room. pulling out all the instruments needed. passing instruments during surgery and being the surgeons extra pair of hands. stitching up patients. pretty much doing whatever the surgeon needs done. my mom was on the heart team for a few years and even had to hold closed the heart when it was spitting blood. she loved her job very much. the only negative sides are long work hours. she was on call most of the time and some surgeries lasted really long. when they lost a patient it tore her up for a few days.
i had the opportunity to go in many surgeries with her and observe. the worst one had to be a csection. i almost lost my lunch.
she has now went back to school to become a nurse.
sorry for the novel. if you want to know anything else specifically i will try to answer or call her to find out more.
(:
No its ok thank you that's exactly what I was looking for it was good information.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
tiffanynacole

no problem, glad i could help
Old 11-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
notjustaUSNwife

notjustaUSNwife is on a distinguished road

I have a friend that is a Corpsman Surgical Tech. She does primarily OB surgeries. She also works shifts cleaning all the medical equipment used in the entire hospital (disinfecting/autoclaving/etc.).
notjustaUSNwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
tiffanynacole

yea my mom sometimes had to clean up after wards. take the instruments down to some sterilizing room.
sounds like military/civilian are very similar
Old 11-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
Diesirae27

Diesirae27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMRivera View Post
No its ok thank you that's exactly what I was looking for it was good information.
came across this on another forum. I'm looking into surgical tech as well.

"
.... In C school, they had 3 months of in class work and another 3 of clinicals. They had to assist in 120 surgeries in hospitals around SAT (San Antonio Texas). They had to do 3 c-sections too. I do remember the call after the first c section.....
The one stressful thing I remember him saying was when the OBGYN cut an artery and there was blood squirting all over him. "
Diesirae27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
notjustaUSNwife

notjustaUSNwife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yea my mom sometimes had to clean up after wards. take the instruments down to some sterilizing room.
sounds like military/civilian are very similar
They are almost exactly the same. Their schooling is much shorter but they get the same credentials when they're done with their schooling. Same goes for a lot of the other C-Schools that have a civilian equivalent.
notjustaUSNwife is offline   Reply With Quote