NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-15-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road
Default PIR guests

Are guests with not so great backgrounds allowed to attend? Like people that have served time in prison for a felony or something like that.

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

You are only allowed 4 guests, and sometimes it is only 3...so if you passed your security clearance, I would assume your immediate family can come....and yes, they DO check out your family while you are in DEP...but it can depend on your rating, some are much higher than others.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
matzo

matzo is on a distinguished road

Can there ever be 5 guests?
matzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
You are only allowed 4 guests, and sometimes it is only 3...so if you passed your security clearance, I would assume your immediate family can come....and yes, they DO check out your family while you are in DEP...but it can depend on your rating, some are much higher than others.
What if it's someone that wasn't in that huge packet? The person is not immediate family

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
BubbaGumps64

BubbaGumps64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzo View Post
Can there ever be 5 guests?
It depends on how many divisions are graduating that day. If there are 12 or less divisions you are allowed 4 guests. If there are 13 or more divisions you are allowed 3 guests. Check at bootcamp.navy.mil under the family section, there are more details there.
BubbaGumps64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
BubbaGumps64

I have heard of recruits having more than the allowed guests at PIR. Say for instance one recruit doesn't have anyone that will be attending graduation, they could give away their spots for visitors to another recruit. I'm not exactly sure how this would work out but I do know that it has happened in the past. Maybe it would be something that you should keep in mind but it isn't guaranteed.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
13Point1Heiress

13Point1Heiress is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzerAsp View Post
Are guests with not so great backgrounds allowed to attend? Like people that have served time in prison for a felony or something like that.
I'm curious to this answer as well. My guests will be friends not family members. I know we have to give full names of our guests that are coming, do they do background checks on those guests before they attend our graduation?

DEP: 04OCT13
SHIP: 29JUL14
13Point1Heiress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaGumps64 View Post
I have heard of recruits having more than the allowed guests at PIR. Say for instance one recruit doesn't have anyone that will be attending graduation, they could give away their spots for visitors to another recruit. I'm not exactly sure how this would work out but I do know that it has happened in the past. Maybe it would be something that you should keep in mind but it isn't guaranteed.
This used to be the case, but they gotten more strict about the guest list recently.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
BubbaGumps64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
This used to be the case, but they gotten more strict about the guest list recently.
Really? Well I guess everyone will have to stick with the amount that they are allowed. This is the website I was talking about earlier that gives detailed information about upcoming graduations and graduation in general

http://www.bootcamp.navy.mil/upcoming_grads.asp
Old 02-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #10
fellawip

fellawip is on a distinguished road

I know someone who currently works@great lakes. And they said you can still use other people's spots if they have no one coming for them.
fellawip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #11
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

The official answer from RTC:

Quote:
As of January 1st, 2013 Recruit Training Command will enforce the following policy:

ALL GUESTS, including Active Duty/Retired Military Personnel and those ages 3 and older must be on the access list. Children 2 and under do not need to be on the access list.

12 or less divisions within the training group: FOUR guest maximum per recruit.

13 or more divisions within the training group: THREE guest maximum per recruit.

Individuals not on the access list will NOT be able to enter the drill hall and we do NOT have a standby list. In addition please plan on arriving at least 1.5 hours before the ceremony, which begins promptly at 9:00 a.m.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #12
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Understand if you want just friends and not family to come...in the majority of cases you only get to spend a few hours with them...then you are flown out to your prospective school. Only those that have their A school there at Great Lakes get to spend more time with family and friends. But even then, you cannot spend over night with any of your friends or family. SO ask your friends that want to come..can they afford to spend the hundreds of dollars to fly there and rent a motel and rent a car to see you for only a few hours? If they just want to see you graduate..they can watch it online live..every PIR is now broadcast live via internet.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #13
fellawip

Luckily my family is in northwest Indiana so it's just a short drive
Old 02-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #14
shamablama

shamablama is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaGumps64 View Post
I've actually heard that they don't do that anymore, I have a couple of friends who graduated boot camp within the past year and any extra people they had attend had to wait outside during the graduation ceremony. But there is an online live viewing of the graduation ceremony, for anyone who can't physically attend, they can still watch.

Depped in 01AUG2013
Shipping out 25MAR2014
Air Traffic Controller
shamablama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #15
fellawip

The way it was explained to me(by someone who works@GL) THEY are not actually giving you a spot they are just listing a person on their list for them who happens to be related to you
Old 02-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #16
notjustaUSNwife

notjustaUSNwife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellawip View Post
I know someone who currently works@great lakes. And they said you can still use other people's spots if they have no one coming for them.
Depends on your RDC's. Ours said they wouldn't allow this.
notjustaUSNwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #17
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustaUSNwife View Post
Depends on your RDC's. Ours said they wouldn't allow this.
It actually states that if you do this and they catch you, you can lose your privileges and be disciplined.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:59 PM   #18
fellawip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
It actually states that if you do this and they catch you, you can lose your privileges and be disciplined.
Indeed. Prob not worth it!