NavyDEP
 

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTI = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN INTERPRETIVE

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
blacktemplar
Senior Member
 
blacktemplar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
Posts: 119
Rep Power: 15
blacktemplar is on a distinguished road
Default So, how to prep for CTI school -- Mandarin?

How would one prep for CTI school, trying to learn mandarin? I'm looking to try and make my time easier because the dropout rate scares me.
blacktemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**
 
jzhaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 627
Rep Power: 125
jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of
Default

If you go to the dliflc website, you should be able to find a program called head start, which is offered in just about all the major languages. I've heard some of the audio doesn't really sound right, but the mandarin course is pretty decent.

I would not recommend focusing on only one language though, because you never know what's going to be available. I got Mandarin, which was my first choice, but there were people in my class who wanted other languages (Arabic, French etc) and a lot of people in other languages who told me they were jealous because they had wanted Mandarin. Familiarize yourself with everything and you'll have a good idea which languages you'd be okay with when the time comes. I'd also suggest your local library, but don't go out and buy anything (it isn't worth it).

Last edited by jzhaun; 11-05-2014 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Edited to add link.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:32 AM   #3
JoeSpook
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Clarksburg, WV
Posts: 45
Rep Power: 8
JoeSpook is on a distinguished road
Default

Le français est une option? Merde...

Of course, they have the one language I actually have classroom experience with. Wrote a children's book in French at the end of my 3rd year of university, even, complete with stick figure drawings (with a disclaimer of "dans le mode de XKCD").

Ah well, it doesn't matter. I'd still prefer Korean or Mandarin.
__________________
Thanks for reading.

Best,
j


DEP: 20140630
CTI: 20140709
Ship: 20141201

Last edited by JoeSpook; 11-05-2014 at 05:33 AM. Reason: accidentally put XCKD, wtf I'm so tired
JoeSpook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:35 AM   #4
JoeSpook
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Clarksburg, WV
Posts: 45
Rep Power: 8
JoeSpook is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSpook View Post
dans le mode de XKCD
Ha! And of course, the current strip is about language.

Permalink to linguistic chuckles
__________________
Thanks for reading.

Best,
j


DEP: 20140630
CTI: 20140709
Ship: 20141201
JoeSpook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
blacktemplar
Senior Member
 
blacktemplar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
Posts: 119
Rep Power: 15
blacktemplar is on a distinguished road
Default

Jzhaun, are there any languages that generally have open slots?

Last edited by blacktemplar; 11-05-2014 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Grammar error/awkward wording.
blacktemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
jzhaun
**Active Duty**
 
jzhaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 627
Rep Power: 125
jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of
Default

French actually isn't an option for navy, although you can get it if you're army. That person didn't do their research ahead of time.

Generally speaking, there will always be at least two or three of the big six (Arabic, Farsi, Russian, Spanish, Mandarin, and Korean) open at any given time. Occasionally you might get Hebrew. From what I've seen, Farsi, Russian and Spanish are generally open, and the cat iv will vary.

But you'll also be competing against everyone else from your division as to which slot you get. They take not only your preference and your dlab score into account but also your previous experience with language. So if there's someone in your group who already knows x language, they'll be the most likely to get it (Spanish is an exception, if you speak Spanish but have a high dlab, they might still give you a cat iv). Self study isn't really enough to make a difference, I'm talking years of study at the minimum.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
blacktemplar
Senior Member
 
blacktemplar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
Posts: 119
Rep Power: 15
blacktemplar is on a distinguished road
Default

I'd rather not learn Russian, and get stationed in someone I don't want to go.
But we'll see -- just kinda worrierd about a really crappy duty station.

Last edited by blacktemplar; 11-06-2014 at 07:20 AM.
blacktemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
TBBURKE
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 6
TBBURKE is on a distinguished road
Default

I'm preparing by enjoying all the free time I have left with no study obligations
TBBURKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
JoeSpook
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Clarksburg, WV
Posts: 45
Rep Power: 8
JoeSpook is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBBURKE View Post
I'm preparing by enjoying all the free time I have left with no study obligations
Aye aye... It's going to be vocab vocab vocab once we get there. May as well breathe easy now. I think that's the best prep we can have, both for RTC and DLI.
__________________
Thanks for reading.

Best,
j


DEP: 20140630
CTI: 20140709
Ship: 20141201
JoeSpook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #10
chemelle1
Junior Member
 
chemelle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 6
chemelle1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
French actually isn't an option for navy, although you can get it if you're army. That person didn't do their research ahead of time.

Generally speaking, there will always be at least two or three of the big six (Arabic, Farsi, Russian, Spanish, Mandarin, and Korean) open at any given time. Occasionally you might get Hebrew. From what I've seen, Farsi, Russian and Spanish are generally open, and the cat iv will vary.

But you'll also be competing against everyone else from your division as to which slot you get. They take not only your preference and your dlab score into account but also your previous experience with language. So if there's someone in your group who already knows x language, they'll be the most likely to get it (Spanish is an exception, if you speak Spanish but have a high dlab, they might still give you a cat iv). Self study isn't really enough to make a difference, I'm talking years of study at the minimum.
So, I scored a 103 on the DLAB, but I have experience speaking Japanese and living in Asia...so do you guys think I have a chance at a CAT 4 language? I'm hoping so. I kind of rushed myself on the test and am not happy with my score, but there was a 6 month wait to retake so I went ahead with my original score. I was hoping for Mandarin or Korean but that's probably not going to happen.
chemelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #11
TBBURKE
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 6
TBBURKE is on a distinguished road
Default

retake in boot camp to imporve score
TBBURKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #12
jzhaun
**Active Duty**
 
jzhaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 627
Rep Power: 125
jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemelle1 View Post
So, I scored a 103 on the DLAB, but I have experience speaking Japanese and living in Asia...so do you guys think I have a chance at a CAT 4 language? I'm hoping so. I kind of rushed myself on the test and am not happy with my score, but there was a 6 month wait to retake so I went ahead with my original score. I was hoping for Mandarin or Korean but that's probably not going to happen.
A 103 is going to get you Spanish. Anything else is a shot in the dark. Language experience only really helps if you have the scores to back it up. You may be given a chance to retestin boot camp, but don't count on it.

Also, as a general precaution, your time spent in Asia may complicate things. You might get through school but then be stuck on hold for months/years unable to do the job. I have some acquaintances that this has happened to.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #13
chemelle1
Junior Member
 
chemelle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 6
chemelle1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
A 103 is going to get you Spanish. Anything else is a shot in the dark. Language experience only really helps if you have the scores to back it up. You may be given a chance to retestin boot camp, but don't count on it.

Also, as a general precaution, your time spent in Asia may complicate things. You might get through school but then be stuck on hold for months/years unable to do the job. I have some acquaintances that this has happened to.
Ugh. Thanks for the heads up. Where are Spanish CTI's stationed?
chemelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #14
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Secret Secret
Posts: 1,287
Rep Power: 260
FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemelle1 View Post
Ugh. Thanks for the heads up. Where are Spanish CTI's stationed?
They can get stationed anywhere the Navy needs their specific skills.

It's not advisable for us to discuss where we are sending specific personnel for specific jobs of a classified nature on a public forum. OPSEC folks =]

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #15
TBBURKE
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 6
TBBURKE is on a distinguished road
Default

Its not guaranteed you'll get Spanish don't worry about it until you know what you get. Generally Spanish goes to Texas
TBBURKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
This site and contents ©2009-2014 NavyFamiles