NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
wilkie647

wilkie647 is on a distinguished road
Default Choose Goose Creek or Balston Spa

What is the difference between the two prototype schools? Do they have different reactors or is it based on surface or sub duty that determines who goes to which school? Is there a benefit for going to one vs. the other?

Great forum, thanks for the information.
wilkie647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
CoolHandL

CoolHandL is just really niceCoolHandL is just really nice

One is in New York, one is in South Carolina. The reactors in NY are a different type than those in SC, but that has no particular relevance as they are all different from what is used in the fleet. I've heard of some cultural differences. AFAIK, selection just has to do with availability in the pipeline. By the time you get to the point of stating a preference for the Navy to ignore, you will have way more information and scuttlebutt than you will get here.
My information on this subject is 2nd hand.
CoolHandL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
drego86

drego86 is on a distinguished road

I'm in prototype in Goose Creek right now. Where they send you is not based on you being surface or sub. You'll fill out your preference when you are in Power school. Its really just a matter of preference on which one you want to go to.
drego86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:53 PM   #4
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

You could also look at it like how many cities do you want to live in.. If you want to pack up and move to NY to see a different place that's cool. I couldn't imagine the stress of a new place and starting prototype. I like the comfort Charleston offers.. Which means I'll probably be sent to Ballston Spa. Hah!

Hyman G. Rickover

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Winston Churchill
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #5
Sparky

Sparky is on a distinguished road

You will get a lot of time to know SC before you have to even have to think about making this decision. Whether you like it here will play a huge part in choosing.

Charleston- a military town, everywhere you go people will know that you are a Nuke. It's hot humid and there are bugs. Prototype is run by the Navy and everyone there will be navy.

NY- civilians may know that they live next to a nuclear reactor, maybe not. Many more civilian employees at prototype. Upstate new York is cold. Really cold.

But you will hear a lot more about both spots before you make your choice. Before you know it you'll be packing up your stuff and heading to one.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
MickeyMcD

MickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to behold

If your prototype is going to happen at all during the summer months, NY might be more preferable unless you like the Southern heat and random thunderstorms (we've probably had ten, sometimes multiple a day, since I got here two weeks ago lol). If that isn't a big factor for you though, just wait and see how you feel about the Charleston area. So far it's been really nice and most of the people are as friendly as I remember previous trips down South being, so...again though. Wait til you spend some time here before deciding.
Graduated RTC: 20150529 194/13
MickeyMcD is offline   Reply With Quote