NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Master-at-Arms B640

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-23-2015, 12:26 AM   #1
javm

javm is on a distinguished road
Default Combat?

Hey guys, just wondering if MAA's see combat? Do they get sent to the pillbox? If not, what are ways to do that? If not this rate, what others will see combat? Or will I need to look at Army and USMC (pls don't tell I have to do that)..
javm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:56 AM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Navy doesn't really do individual combat. As you noted, that's what the Army and the Marines are for. We fight on our ships, in our subs and planes, and in the cyber realm.

As far as MAs go, I think there's at least one around the site who can give you the details, but all the MAs I've met have worked base security. Checking IDs at the gate, patrolling, making logs etc. I've heard that on ships they run the urinalysis program. It's more of a defensive role than an offensive one.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

If you wanna go eat dirt and shoot bad guys, your options are really either Spec War or going USA/USMC. An MA's job is force protection, not force projection.

jzhaun said it well by saying we fight from our ships, subs, aircraft, and intel centers. Going out and kicking doors in is exactly why we have the Marine Corps. As much as they hate to admit it, they're a department of the Navy and their department is disembarking from the ships and kicking someones ass back to the stone age once they get ashore.

Naval engagements just aren't the norm anymore, plus there really isn't a Navy on the planet that could seriously contest our control of the seas for more than a few weeks.

If direct combat is what you're looking for then your choices are either Special Warfare (those dudes absolutely see combat, regularly) or going USA or USMC.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
javm

Do the FMF Hospital Corpsman allow females?
Old 07-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #5
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen combat... from 20k+ feet...

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #6
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

There are VERY FEW positions in today's Navy that see actual "boots on the ground" combat. SO, obviously... corpsman that work with Marines... I know a handful of Seabees who happened to stumble across a firefight while working in Iraq/Afghanistan... There are also some rates that have IA billets that end up in combat. I know of a person who was an AO and ended up in Afghanistan with an Army unit as a turret gunner, she was hit by a couple IED's and ended up getting medically separated for injuries. Combat in the Naby is extremely rare, if that truly what you want then go Marine infantry.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #7
javm

Yeah I understand, I wasn't trying to offend anybody. I know that being in the service no matter what branch, your time in is what you make of it. Some people hate this rate but some absolutely love it and dammed proud of it. Me? I have fun no matter where I'm at, hell I can be by myself and have the time of my life! I do want to see combat, but I'm also joining to support my family...and with my dad's health still rocky, I don't want to do anything that'll worry him. I know I'll be happy serving in this branch, and I can't wait til the day I can finally call myself a Navy Sailor
Old 07-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #8
Squid350
**Active Duty**

Squid350 is on a distinguished road

MA's have an Antiterrorism role (deter the bad guy) while the cool-guy units do Counterterrorism (go find the bad guy and stab him in the face). We don't "close with and destroy the enemy". If you get a chance to go K9 you can get attached to various cool guy units and possibly see some stuff. Or you can get stuck on a base, just a more spartan one than you would otherwise see. We've had quite a few K9 MA's give their lives in the GWOT.

If you want to see combat the way to do that is going to be USMC/Army infantry. Generally speaking (again, unless you're a SEAL) combat isn't something the dirt navy actively pursues.

Visit the "Navy Deppers" facebook group!
Squid350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #9
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
I've seen combat... from 20k+ feet...

Please tell me that patch is on your flight suit.....

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
classified9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by javm View Post
Do the FMF Hospital Corpsman allow females?
You can go to the school but you wouldn't be able to go to a combat role afterwords.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
classified9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:34 AM   #11
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by classified9 View Post
Please tell me that patch is on your flight suit.....
Not currently...

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #12
cthornton1126

cthornton1126 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
Not currently...

This is amazing. Lol
cthornton1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #13
roseDragon

roseDragon is on a distinguished road

Riverine is an option for MA's right?
roseDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #14
Squid350
**Active Duty**

Squid350 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseDragon View Post
Yes it is. No guarantees, but if orders are available you can apply.

Visit the "Navy Deppers" facebook group!
Squid350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #15
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

YN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you want to get in people's faces, become a Gunner's Mate (GM) assigned to a destroyer. Apply to be part of the VBSS team for the ship.
YN2(AW)Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:09 PM   #16
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As a first tour sailor, it would be a longshot. Typically your first duty station is "needs of the Navy". If you re-enlist though, that's typically when you really get to negotiate for orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YN3(AW)Williams View Post
If you want to get in people's faces, become a Gunner's Mate (GM) assigned to a destroyer. Apply to be part of the VBSS team for the ship.
Anyone onboard can go VBSS. I did it! We had everyone from BM, GM, MM, LS, STG, you name it. As long as they send you through the courses and you pass, you too can go do it.

/r
CTT1
Old 11-09-2016, 07:41 AM   #17
walla125
**Active Duty**

walla125 is a splendid one to beholdwalla125 is a splendid one to beholdwalla125 is a splendid one to behold

To answer a question posed earlier yes FMF Corpsman both men and women do deploy with FMF units to austere hostile environments. Having been a career FMF HM I can assure you that if goal is to go to combat HM is not the job for you (we concentrate on saving lives...not taking them). However, some MA's do deploy to these environments as stated earlier and if you are truly interested in what the entire MA job scope entails have a serious conversation with your MA leadership at "A" school and they can point you in the right direction.

All the Best,
MCPO (FMF/SW/AW) W.
walla125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #18
roseDragon

Are riverine orders necessarily hard to get when reenlisting? Its a huge career goal for me. Also can you stay in a riverine unit if you get in, or do you have to leave after a certain time?
Old 11-14-2016, 07:06 AM   #19
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Are riverine orders necessarily hard to get when reenlisting? Its a huge career goal for me. Also can you stay in a riverine unit if you get in, or do you have to leave after a certain time?
There's a little luck involved. There has to be an opening when you're up for new orders.

Generally you'll have to leave (not necessarily the whole rivron community, but at least your command), but can come back if there's a later opening.
The Navy likes you to go to a variety of commands.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #20
roseDragon

How long do you typically stay at a command?
Old 11-14-2016, 03:29 PM   #21
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

It depends on your rate and seniority, but typically for enlisted 3-5 years; for officers 18-24 months.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #22
roseDragon

Thanks for the info LTJG