NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Hospital Corpsmen G000, L500

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-19-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
vregino36

vregino36 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation How can I convince my recruiter to put HM rate on my contract?

I have done my research, & I know I want to be a Corpsman.. Now I just need some help convincing my recruiter. So many times have I heard some one getting screwed over by a recruiter I just need some info on how to go about persuading my recruiter to see things my way. I will do reserves or active depending on what will guarantee me a spot, also I know my worth and I would say I am cut out for the leadership position. I was a Rhode Island Young Marine so I believe I go in as an E-2. Please Shed some light on the situation for me and be straight with my odds of my goals working in my favor.

Also I was only able to retrieve the may 2012 creo seems like HM is undermanned but I need some tips!
vregino36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

First the rating you get, like HM will depend on how you score on your ASVAB and the line scores you get. PLUS, it is not the recruiter that will be able to guarantee you any rating like HM..that will be determined at MEPS and the classifiers there. The rating you want has to have an opening to get it and your scores have to match what is needed for that rating, if the HM rating is not open when you go to MEPS, you will not be offered it.....so it would not make any difference if you go active duty or reserves..the rating has to have an opening...period

Now after you take your ASVAB your recruiter will go over the results with you and let you know what you qualify for, AND may very well steer you towards what you are actually better suited for due to the scores you have...but it is really up to you to make sure your recruiter knows what you want...no one will twist your arm into taking a rating you dont want...yes at MEPS they very well may try and convince you to take another rating..in that case you have the option to say no, and go home with nothing.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
vregino36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
First the rating you get, like HM will depend on how you score on your ASVAB and the line scores you get. PLUS, it is not the recruiter that will be able to guarantee you any rating like HM..that will be determined at MEPS and the classifiers there. The rating you want has to have an opening to get it and your scores have to match what is needed for that rating, if the HM rating is not open when you go to MEPS, you will not be offered it.....so it would not make any difference if you go active duty or reserves..the rating has to have an opening...period

Now after you take your ASVAB your recruiter will go over the results with you and let you know what you qualify for, AND may very well steer you towards what you are actually better suited for due to the scores you have...but it is really up to you to make sure your recruiter knows what you want...no one will twist your arm into taking a rating you dont want...yes at MEPS they very well may try and convince you to take another rating..in that case you have the option to say no, and go home with nothing.

Well, ASVAB's will not be a problem I am in college right now going towards my nursing degree. I am a very smart guy. I also would like to thank you for your prompt response! I have one last question since you seem to be well equipped with Military knowledge. How would you break it down to a recruiter on what you want without being disrespectful. I just find it really disrespectful to walk in and say " I want this and this only!" .
Old 12-19-2012, 03:39 AM   #4
sweetmtn

If you are in college now studying for a nursing degree...do you realise that the HM is only the equivalent of a CNA? If you want to be a nurse, then my suggestion would be finish college get your nursing degree and then go in the navy as an officer in the nursing corp.
Now if you are female this is what I would suggest as most times the female HM's hand out asprin and bandaides and push paper. Male HM's do have the option to be a combat HM, which then they get extra training for combat and are assigned to a Marine unit in a combat zone.
And no it is not going to make a recruiter upset that you tell them that HM is the only thing you want..but then dont be surprised if he/she tells you it may be a long shot.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #5
vregino36

I do realize that HM is the equivalent to a EMT or CNA, it's more of a pride thing. As well as being able to do what I love and serve my country. I am a male and will plan on doing combat. I'm fine with being told its going to be a long shot it wouldn't be the first time I was told that. I plan on DEP'ing if need be though would that be the suggested route?

-Thanks again
Old 12-19-2012, 03:49 AM   #6
sweetmtn

If you just are OK with HM and in combat then go for it...you never really know when the HM ratings are open or closed.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #7
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

You need to realize that with the recruiting environment the way it is, having more people trying to get in then spots available, there is a very good chance that your recruiter will not send you to MEPS if you will only accept HM (remember that there are many more qualified people trying to get in that are open to accepting any job they are offered). It would also do you some good to know that while you may be a well qualified candidate, there are many more people out there who are more qualified then you and will take any job. The only part of the process you can immediately control is how well you do on the ASVAB, after that the job you are offered is out of your and your recruiters hands. As far as you being willin to enter DEP, that is the only way to join as everyone who enters the Navy (active duty or reserves) enters DEP first. You may want to take a step back and think about what your goals really are, do you want to be a sailor or ONLY and HM...

Good luck
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vregino36 View Post
I have done my research, & I know I want to be a Corpsman.. Now I just need some help convincing my recruiter. So many times have I heard some one getting screwed over by a recruiter I just need some info on how to go about persuading my recruiter to see things my way. I will do reserves or active depending on what will guarantee me a spot, also I know my worth and I would say I am cut out for the leadership position. I was a Rhode Island Young Marine so I believe I go in as an E-2. Please Shed some light on the situation for me and be straight with my odds of my goals working in my favor.

Also I was only able to retrieve the may 2012 creo seems like HM is undermanned but I need some tips!
Corpsman is not undermanned for active duty. You are looking at the FTS creo listings. HM is definitely overmanned for Active Duty with really low advancement.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
Malarkey

Malarkey is on a distinguished road

I was at MEPS Monday, and the classifier there said it'll be closed for a few months AT LEAST, and if you want FMF, heh, just forget about it. It is SUPER overmanned in both active and reserves. You're better off getting some other ideas, man.
Malarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Jazdazn

Jazdazn is on a distinguished road
It is great that you know what you want and what you want to do with your life. I went into my recruiters office knowing exact what rate I wanted. I didn't even bother to waste the classifiers time. My recruiter called a guys that works in the navy office and told him what I wanted. That guy came in the classifiers office with me. 5 minutes later I walked out with the rate I wanted. Air traffic controling is what I want to do with my life and the navy is how I want to give back to my country. With that being said, you are trying to go into a very overmanned rate but if that is what you want then go for it. SN: at my station there are 11 deppers and all but myself have HM rate. You could always dep in and put in a dar but that can be a game of chance. But like others have stated you are competing with so many other recruits who don't care what rate they get. They just want a job and to be in the navy. And right now recruiters are looking for those kinds of recruit. Good luck with whatever you decide is best for you.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
sweetmtn

Just for information, I talked to the Army recruiter yesterday...we are friends and he is coming to Christmas dinner...you could always try Army medic..they do have openings. My friend here locally, her son is an Army medic and he loves it, my oldest son is Army but Infantry and has promoted very fast compared to the Navy. My youngest was Navy and a nuke, and even so my oldest has promoted faster than a nuke in the Navy (E6 in under 4 years).

Old 12-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
vregino36

Thats some very helpful information! I will look into that Thank you !
Old 12-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
SDtech

SDtech is on a distinguished road

Of my dep crew I would say 3 or 4 are HM, so I know they are giving out the rating. I know you are in college but just be aware of how the asvab works. I took the practice asvab and got an 83 or 85, cant remember. Studied a bit and got a 95 on the real thing. I was stoked because I thought I could do whatever I wanted, turns out it just basically tells the navy what you are qualified to do. So someone who say got a 90 has no worse or better shot of getting HM than you would if you scored higher. How it works is, okay you did well you are qualified for x y and z and y/z are available.

My advice having been through the process (although not with the rating you want) is to take your asvab. Do as well as you can (the scores can be used for all branches). Tell the recruiter what they want to hear, that you are open to anything in medical. Get cleared and talk to the classifier, if they cant offer you HM walk and take your chances with army or another branch. Meps will have your paperwork from your physical and your issues should be worked out in advance so the next time will be quicker. If the rating is as impacted as you say a DAR might not work (changing rating while in dep). I would not go in unless you know its HM.
SDtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
Just for information, I talked to the Army recruiter yesterday...we are friends and he is coming to Christmas dinner...you could always try Army medic..they do have openings. My friend here locally, her son is an Army medic and he loves it, my oldest son is Army but Infantry and has promoted very fast compared to the Navy. My youngest was Navy and a nuke, and even so my oldest has promoted faster than a nuke in the Navy (E6 in under 4 years).
Also the Navy has time in rate. I'm not sure if the Army does and probably why they promote quick. It's almost impossible to make E6 in 4 years in the Navy. You would have to have back to back EP evals to take the E6 exam a year after you make E5.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
sweetmtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
Also the Navy has time in rate. I'm not sure if the Army does and probably why they promote quick. It's almost impossible to make E6 in 4 years in the Navy. You would have to have back to back EP evals to take the E6 exam a year after you make E5.
Yes the Army does have time in rate requirements..but they can be waived if the Command wants you bad enough...this is why my son got promoted so fast...the Army LOVES him as he always gives 100+%, his evals are superior...now to promote in the Army you dont test...you have "boards" meaning you are tested ORALLY in front of a panel in your dress uniform...and you had better know EVERYTHING! You have to be recommended for boards. Then there is a matter of points, time in grade, college credits, awards, etc. all add to the points needed to promote.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:26 AM   #16
SN-Madman

SN-Madman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vregino36 View Post
Well, ASVAB's will not be a problem I am in college right now going towards my nursing degree. I am a very smart guy. I also would like to thank you for your prompt response! I have one last question since you seem to be well equipped with Military knowledge. How would you break it down to a recruiter on what you want without being disrespectful. I just find it really disrespectful to walk in and say " I want this and this only!" .
I would recommend that even though you're in college, study study and study some more for the ASVAB, because I got three degrees before I joined, and it was only my studying specified for the ASVAB that got me my 98. (Actually, I studied for the ASTB first, the officer's ASVAB test, which is even more advanced)
SN-Madman is offline   Reply With Quote