NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 10-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
Gidderman

Gidderman is on a distinguished road
Default Getting Sent Items

Hey!

So I'm shipping out 20151209 and I was just wondering what the policy on getting sent stuff was?

More particularly, I have a pair of running shoes that I'm very fond of and I've heard rumors (about other branches, at least) that I may be able to have someone at home send them to me once I can start receiving mail. Is there any truth in that, or is it merely just a rumor?

Thanks!
Gidderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Running shoes are a definite no. You'll wear what's issued until graduation, at which point you can get whatever you like.

What you can get in the mail is somewhat dependent on your RDCs, who may be more or less lenient than the written rules. But don't count on getting more than letters and small, tasteful pictures. (On the other hand, they only check extra stuff slipped in, not the actual letter, which means anything printed on the same paper can probably get by. I got a lot of Sudoku puzzles sent to me this way. Use your discretion.)

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
Running shoes are a definite no. You'll wear what's issued until graduation, at which point you can get whatever you like.

What you can get in the mail is somewhat dependent on your RDCs, who may be more or less lenient than the written rules. But don't count on getting more than letters and small, tasteful pictures. (On the other hand, they only check extra stuff slipped in, not the actual letter, which means anything printed on the same paper can probably get by. I got a lot of Sudoku puzzles sent to me this way. Use your discretion.)
Seconded. You'll only be wearing what's issued. This keeps everyone uniform and things are replaceable with the same items if there's a problem. Also, we're not the Air Force and we do our best not to look like a soup sandwich. Once you're out of boot though you can wear your own shoes (As long as it's not ridiculous. I've seen some dumb stuff).

I also would advise against trying to "get something in" while you're at boot. The consequences will most likely outweigh the benefits if caught and honestly there is very little you can't go without for a couple weeks. It's seriously such a short amount of time.

/r
CTT1
Old 10-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
Gidderman

Gidderman is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks!

Okay, cool. Good to know!

Thank you very much.
Gidderman is offline   Reply With Quote