NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp > Pass In Review (Graduation)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
Xev

Xev is on a distinguished road
Question How to get to graduation?

Hello,

I have an important question sort of thing.

I would like to know how people get to graduation (Friend and family members)?

Where I am trying to get as is to be able to obtain the most accurate information on how my family and friends (whoever I can invite) come to my graduation so by the time I tell them when it is they already know what to do.

I have seen a few of different info but not quite sure what is the best.

They will be coming from NY or NJ (if that helps) So any info on how they can get there (Flying, driving, bus), or be ready it will be highly appreciate.

Thank you in advance.
Xev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
cire

cire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xev View Post
Hello,

I have an important question sort of thing.

I would like to know how people get to graduation (Friend and family members)?

Where I am trying to get as is to be able to obtain the most accurate information on how my family and friends (whoever I can invite) come to my graduation so by the time I tell them when it is they already know what to do.

I have seen a few of different info but not quite sure what is the best.

They will be coming from NY or NJ (if that helps) So any info on how they can get there (Flying, driving, bus), or be ready it will be highly appreciate.

Thank you in advance.
get a hotel and car rental. fly. go to hotel. unpack. look at google maps. go to graduation. follow all the other lost people. watch graduation. try to stay awake. wake up. try to find family member/friend graduating. give hugs. take pictures. get lost on base more. leave base with family/friend graduating. get drunk. let family/friend sleep. take family/friend back to boot camp. go home.

Quote:
mack_it_nasty: my boyfriend wouldnt like that gee.
geeMA: the hell? you told me you were single. lol
mack_it_nasty: oh did i...
geeMA: i got trolled
cire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
griz3232

griz3232 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire View Post
get a hotel and car rental. fly. go to hotel. unpack. look at google maps. go to graduation. follow all the other lost people. watch graduation. try to stay awake. wake up. try to find family member/friend graduating. give hugs. take pictures. get lost on base more. leave base with family/friend graduating. get drunk. let family/friend sleep. take family/friend back to boot camp. go home.
Het Drunk? I thought on your liberty after PIR there was no drinking or tobacco.
griz3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

ejrwelch is on a distinguished road

Theres a guy called Sarge on Navyformoms.com that everyone keeps talking about. the info I am posting may be a little out of date but I am sure if you research it you'll find something newer but here it is:
Sarge’s Meet and Greet

Sarge retired from the Army after 20 years of active service in 1991. He was stationed in Ft. Sheridan in 1981 which is the sister base to Great Lakes. He has lived in the area for over 30 years and disseminates a wealth of information about what to expect from our visit there and helping to make the planning easier. He cares for our Sailors and has dedicated a large part of his life to helping them, especially the ones who stay in the Great Lakes for their A School.

Each Thursday, (and on Wednesdays when graduations take place on Thursdays), Sarge sponsors a Meet and Greet for Navy Moms/Dads/Family and Friends. Sarge has arranged for us to have the Sundance Saloon for ourselves starting at 5:00 PM AND ENDING AT 10:00 PM. The place holds over 2,000 people and they provide a DJ and low cost beverages ($2 dollar beers). FREE FOOD is served at 7:00 PM and, if you’re hungry and can’t wait, you can order off their bar menu at a very reasonable price. ALSO FREE is transportation to and from the Meet and Greet from local area hotels (Please see the hotels shown on the map). Transportation from areas other than the free ones is offered at significantly reduced rates.

At the Meet and Greet there will be a guest speaker from the base who puts out very important information about what to do, how to save $$ and the best places to eat.

FREE DINNER for your Sailor - Sarge has made special arrangements with Trattoria-Pomigliano restaurant in Libertyville for your Sailors to receive a FREE dinner, at the restaurant on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. All you have to do is mention Sarge, and his friend Nick will give your Sailor anything they want FREE, including STEAKS. The address is 602 North Milwaukee Avenue, Libertyville. Their phone number is 1-847-247-2200.

Attire is casual and Nick will take good care of all. Their website is www.trattoriapomigliano.com .

Since this is a private event children are welcome. The website will advertise…over 21.

You can call Sarge anytime with questions. Texting would probably be a good idea first as he is busy. He answers promptly. Sarge – 1-847-212-0246.

He also owns several taxis (This is how we originally came to know him on here!) and lives in Gurnee, IL. The BEST taxi service around with the most reasonable rates. Also, above and beyond the regular lines of “service”. Sarge’s drivers only charge $90 from Milwaukee and Midway. Only $52 from O’Hare. This is the cab cost, NOT per person. Other companies have been quoted from $96 (O’Hare) and $130$185(Milwaukee and Midway).
ejrwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yup. That. Minus get drunk, because the RDC's still own you until you are at the airport en-route to A School. So don't do that; you'll get caught (I've seen it happen in my short stay at boot camp on more than one occasion). In fact, when you report to A School, while tobacco is now ok, alcohol is still not permitted until you are NMT phase 2 (depends on how long the school is, can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months)
Old 03-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
cire

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop827 View Post
Yup. That. Minus get drunk, because the RDC's still own you until you are at the airport en-route to A School. So don't do that; you'll get caught (I've seen it happen in my short stay at boot camp on more than one occasion). In fact, when you report to A School, while tobacco is now ok, alcohol is still not permitted until you are NMT phase 2 (depends on how long the school is, can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months)
I never specified WHO was getting drunk

Quote:
Old 03-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
hellokitty

hellokitty is on a distinguished road

Is there a shuttle from Navy Lodge to graduation?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Is there a shuttle from Navy Lodge to graduation?
Yes there is, but I wouldnt count on it being on time as it is mainly for active duty to use to get to and from base and the airport. I would highly advise you to rent a car.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
cire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
Yes there is, but I wouldnt count on it being on time as it is mainly for active duty to use to get to and from base and the airport. I would highly advise you to rent a car.
Even if there was, I wouldn't recommend using it, there are going to be SO many people coming to see graduation

Quote:
Old 03-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #10
Xev

Xev is on a distinguished road

So Basically Fly from wherever you are. Rent a car and a hotel room around BC and drive to graduation?
Xev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:01 AM   #11
cire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xev View Post
So Basically Fly from wherever you are. Rent a car and a hotel room around BC and drive to graduation?
yup. book your plane and room and car EARLY

Quote:
Old 03-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
Shenanigans

Shenanigans is on a distinguished road

My boyfriend is graduating on May 10th, I found this out on Tuesday, I booked my flight, rental car and hotel last night and let me just say that there were multiple hotels already at full capacity!

Xev - you should also note that you're only allowed 4 people to attend your graduation, 3 people in some circumstances if there are less than 11 divisions graduating I believe it is.
Shenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I never specified WHO was getting drunk
Touche Salesman...