NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Jilliantw5

Jilliantw5 is on a distinguished road
Post 2013 bootcamp hair regulations

I'm shipping out in June for bootcamp. I heard that they stopped cutting girls hair in bootcamp. Is this true? If it isn't how can I get around this. My recuriter never told me I had to cut my hair till after meps, therefore I was screwed. Whether its just hair or not it's a big deal for me and I'd rather not cut it. I was thinking of getting a weave and then after graduation just taking it out. Would this work? I need opinions so let me know.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
NavyGirlRecruit

NavyGirlRecruit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilliantw5 View Post
I'm shipping out in June for bootcamp. I heard that they stopped cutting girls hair in bootcamp. Is this true? If it isn't how can I get around this. My recuriter never told me I had to cut my hair till after meps, therefore I was screwed. Whether its just hair or not it's a big deal for me and I'd rather not cut it. I was thinking of getting a weave and then after graduation just taking it out. Would this work? I need opinions so let me know.
I leave in September and have been wondering the same thing. it's hard Cuz I need to know from a females perspective but I did ask one girl and was told tht ppl have gone to boot camp with short sew ins and the rdc's knew but didn't make them take it out..you just have to get some weave thts easy to manage and can last cuz you can't have flat irons til graduation. I hope tht helps
Old 02-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
hellokitty

hellokitty is on a distinguished road

It seems like this rumor never goes away. Yes you still have to cut your hair.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Here is the "official" rules:
b. Women. Hairstyles shall not be outrageously
multicolored or faddish, to include shaved portions of the
scalp (other than the neckline), or have designs cut or
braided into the hair. Hair coloring must look natural and
complement the individual. Haircuts and styles shall
present a balanced appearance. Lopsided and extremely
asymmetrical styles are not authorized. Ponytails,
pigtails, widely spaced individual hanging locks, and
braids which protrude from the head, are not authorized.
Multiple braids are authorized. Braided hairstyles shall
be conservative and conform to the guidelines listed
herein. When a hairstyle of multiple braids is worn,
braids shall be of uniform dimension, small in diameter
(approx. 1/4 inch), and tightly interwoven to present a
neat, professional, well groomed appearance. Foreign
material (i.e., beads, decorative items) shall not be
braided into the hair. Short hair may be braided in
symmetrical fore and aft rows (corn rowing) which minimize
scalp exposure. Corn row ends shall not protrude from the
head, and shall be secured only with inconspicuous rubber
bands that match the color of the hair. Appropriateness of
a hairstyle shall also be judged by its appearance when
headgear is worn. All headgear shall fit snugly and
comfortably around the largest part of the head without
distortion or excessive gaps. Hair shall not show from
under the front of the brim of the combination hat,
garrison, or command ball caps. Hairstyles which do not
allow headgear to be worn in this manner, or which
interfere with the proper wear of protective masks or
equipment are prohibited. When in uniform, the hair may
touch, but not fall below a horizontal line level with the
lower edge of the back of the collar. With jumper uniforms,
hair may extend a maximum of 1-1/2 inches below the
top of the jumper collar. Long hair, including braids,
which fall below the lower edge of the collar shall be
neatly and inconspicuously fastened, pinned, or secured to
the head. No portion of the bulk of the hair as measured
from the scalp will exceed approximately 2 inches. <Figure
2-2-2> refers. A maximum of two small barrettes/combs/
clips, similar to hair color, may be used in the hair.
Additional bobby pins or rubber bands matching hair color
may be used to hold hair in place, if necessary. Fabric
elastics bands are not authorized. Hair ornaments
shall not present a safety or FOD (Foreign Object Damage)
hazard. Hair nets shall not be worn unless authorized
for a specific type of duty.

HOWEVER! Some females have been allowed to have their hair braided or in short weaves..BUT, it is NOT uncommon to have some RDC's(instructors) mandate your hair taken out of the weave and cut to regs. Just understand that the navy is the ONLY branch of the service that still requires females to have their hair cut! This has NOT changed and is not expected to change any time soon or in the near future. My suggestion to you if you have a major problem with them cutting your hair..1 have it cut prior to going to boot to fit the regulations, 2 try and see if you can have a weave done to fit the regulations, 3 deal with what ever comes at boot, 4 dont enlist.
Understand it is just hair..it will grow back!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Jilliantw5

Jilliantw5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGirlRecruit View Post
I leave in September and have been wondering the same thing. it's hard Cuz I need to know from a females perspective but I did ask one girl and was told tht ppl have gone to boot camp with short sew ins and the rdc's knew but didn't make them take it out..you just have to get some weave thts easy to manage and can last cuz you can't have flat irons til graduation. I hope tht helps
Yeah. I mean I have heard the same things, so that's why I don't know what to do. My recruiters a man, so obviously he does not care to much about this situation, because to them it's "just hair". I guess ill just talk to them and see what they say.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
sweetmtn

My friends daughter went through boot not that long ago..she cut her hair to what she thought was the regs before she went...they cut it again anyway...several girls in her division had weaves and had to take them out and their hair was cut...just saying...all depends on your RDC...if you get a hard ass one..you will be seeing your hair cut off.
The ONLY branch of military that does NOT cut females hair is the Army! My sons girlfriend graduated army boot with her hair up in a bun, but when she took it out it was down past her butt!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #7
dascolbert

dascolbert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilliantw5 View Post
Wait, you joined the military and didn't think you had to cut your hair? Pfft. :P
What's a little hair for America? I'm a male, I'll be losing more hair than you.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dascolbert View Post
Wait, you joined the military and didn't think you had to cut your hair? Pfft. :P
What's a little hair for America? I'm a male, I'll be losing more hair than you.
"Really, guy?"
Old 02-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
djhaugen

djhaugen is on a distinguished road

I was worried about this too! If you do cut your hair, start taking Vitamin E after basic and that hair will be back in no time! I'm waiting until I get there to cut mine (I will look like a mess anyway).
My recruiter is a female so this was the best advise she could give me.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
shannoneliz

shannoneliz is on a distinguished road

If you don't want them to cut your hair in boot, make sure you cut it short enough so that it'll meet regs the entire time you're there 'cause you'll be going to get haircuts a few times. I cut mine about chin length before I left and they didn't touch mine.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
cire

cire is on a distinguished road

If your hair is that important to you, then don't join the military. Everyone makes sacrifices to be in the military, your hair is no difference. The recruiter probably didn't say anything because he (and the Navy) can care less about your hair. You don't join a hair club, you are joining the military.

but don't worry, you are NOT the only one who thinks that. When I went through boot camp you would NEVER see more girls crying than on hair cutting days.. lol it was pretty funny

Quote:
mack_it_nasty: my boyfriend wouldnt like that gee.
geeMA: the hell? you told me you were single. lol
mack_it_nasty: oh did i...
geeMA: i got trolled
Old 02-27-2013, 12:33 AM   #12
TYWong

TYWong is on a distinguished road

I have super long hair, and I was joking around with some future sailors about entertaining the thought of buzzing all my hair off and going all GI Jane, and someone said something along the lines of 'You're not allowed to do that' I wasn't really paying attention to this comment because I was then seriously contemplating it. Wonder if it's true?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #13
shannoneliz

That's true, actually. "Hairstyles shall not be outrageously multicolored or faddish, to include shaved portions of the scalp (other than the neckline)"
Old 02-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #14
TYWong

TYWong is on a distinguished road

Aw man, having my dreams crushed. Haha!

I guess I'll be going in with short hair. Seeing more and more ladies just hack all their hair off. Makes sense when you only get a couple minutes to hygiene and you don't want to be the last one out of the head...
Old 02-27-2013, 01:47 AM   #15
shannoneliz

Yeah, I definitely don't miss that rush in and out of the head. I started taking my toothbrush to the shower 'cause I never had time to brush my teeth at night otherwise, lol. Was a bit of a shock the day of graduation when we actually had time to get ready and were allowed shampoo (my division was only allowed bodywash until after battle stations) and hairdryers and straighteners and makeup...everyone looked 100% better.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #16
Mparker181

Mparker181 is on a distinguished road

Do females still have to get there haircutt? I've been hearing a few different things recently
Old 10-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #17
sweetmtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mparker181 View Post
Do females still have to get there haircutt? I've been hearing a few different things recently
YES! The navy is the ONLY branch of the military that requires females to cut their hair...

Old 10-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #18
Mparker181

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
YES! The navy is the ONLY branch of the military that requires females to cut their hair...
but i've been hearing more and more chatter that its changing
Old 10-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #19
Soccer_cat

Soccer_cat is on a distinguished road

Graduated in August. Still cutting hair. You get a few haircuts in bc if it starts touching collar. I cut mine short before I went. Don't be the girl who cries after they chop your hair. Cut it before and donate it.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:10 AM   #20
shannoneliz

That rumor has been going around since before I went to boot camp. Just expect that your hair's gonna get cut.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #21
Temen
**Active Duty**

Temen will become famous soon enough

I'm a guy, so maybe my view is bias.

The way I see it is that you are going into basic training for the military. You are no different from the rest of the recruits. Everyone is going to get their hair cut. No one is going to look their best. If you are worried about how you look during basic training, YOU HAVE YOUR PRIORITIES WRONG. There's more important things to be using your precious few minutes of free time on. Your hair will grow back and you can worry about your appearance once you graduate and make it to your A-School. Everyone has gone through what you will go through.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #22
Mparker181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temen View Post
I'm a guy, so maybe my view is bias.

The way I see it is that you are going into basic training for the military. You are no different from the rest of the recruits. Everyone is going to get their hair cut. No one is going to look their best. If you are worried about how you look during basic training, YOU HAVE YOUR PRIORITIES WRONG. There's more important things to be using your precious few minutes of free time on. Your hair will grow back and you can worry about your appearance once you graduate and make it to your A-School. Everyone has gone through what you will go through.
Um excuse me, if I joined the military my priorities aren't wrong. It was a honest question. My hair is already short by the way so before you go on a rant think about what you;re saying. Second, the Navy is the only branch you have to cut your hair for, and since this rumor has been going on for months if not years, again I WAS CURIOUS.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #23
sweetmtn

That is the problem with RUMORS...they cause a lot of unneeded worry and concern. That rumor has been going on since before my son went in MANY years ago! Rumors start mostly for WISHFUL thinking! IF and I do mean IF it ever changes..it will be in the regulations and announced by the very top officials in the Navy. Basically females joining the Navy should not care one way or the other if their hair is cut or not..if that is a problem, then join another branch that doesnt cut your hair..like the Army. Oh and i was wrong above...the Marines also cut females hair off..
REMEMBER THIS...on this site we do NOT sugar coat ANYTHING! You ask a question you will be told the truth, and many times many wont like what you hear!

Old 10-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #24
BubbaGumps64

BubbaGumps64 is on a distinguished road

Actually the Navy is the only branch that makes females cut their hair. The Air Force, Marines, Army, and Coast Guard don't cut females hair they can wear it in a bun.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #25
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
That is the problem with RUMORS...they cause a lot of unneeded worry and concern. That rumor has been going on since before my son went in MANY years ago! Rumors start mostly for WISHFUL thinking! IF and I do mean IF it ever changes..it will be in the regulations and announced by the very top officials in the Navy. Basically females joining the Navy should not care one way or the other if their hair is cut or not..if that is a problem, then join another branch that doesnt cut your hair..like the Army. Oh and i was wrong above...the Marines also cut females hair off..
REMEMBER THIS...on this site we do NOT sugar coat ANYTHING! You ask a question you will be told the truth, and many times many wont like what you hear!
I'll disagree with this.
I'm female. I'm in the navy. And I absolutely hated that they made me cut 18 inches off my hair.
And I hated it every day for the months it took me to grow it out long enough to put in a nice bun.
And I hate that it still isn't long enough yet to do my preferred hair styles.

For better or worse, hair is a big identifying feature for a lot of females. So, yes, the navy makes you cut your hair, and if you want to join, that's something you have to deal with. But that doesn't mean you have to be happy about it.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
Old 10-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #26
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think there's quite a difference between not sugar coating an answer and being judgmental in your answer. She (I'm assuming) simply asked if females still had to get their hair cut. A non-sugar coated answer would have simply been "yes." It was the judgmental responses that are upsetting. Telling someone they have their priorities wrong or that they're concerned about the wrong things when they ask a simple question like haircuts can hardly be considered "not sugar coating"--- it's just mean. Maybe they're just curious, or trying to be well informed.

Furthermore, most of the responses on this entire navydep forum are speculation and rumors- people declaring the way something operates in the military simply because that's what happened to them or someone they know. Rules and regulations are constantly changing and have exceptions, just because something happened a certain way for one person doesn't mean it's set in stone for everyone.

By all means, people want honest answers when they ask questions. But people tend to inject their own opinions and biases into their answers, which seams to be the case in this thread.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #27
Mparker181

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamayamaa View Post
I think there's quite a difference between not sugar coating an answer and being judgmental in your answer. She (I'm assuming) simply asked if females still had to get their hair cut. A non-sugar coated answer would have simply been "yes." It was the judgmental responses that are upsetting. Telling someone they have their priorities wrong or that they're concerned about the wrong things when they ask a simple question like haircuts can hardly be considered "not sugar coating"--- it's just mean. Maybe they're just curious, or trying to be well informed.

Furthermore, most of the responses on this entire navydep forum are speculation and rumors- people declaring the way something operates in the military simply because that's what happened to them or someone they know. Rules and regulations are constantly changing and have exceptions, just because something happened a certain way for one person doesn't mean it's set in stone for everyone.

By all means, people want honest answers when they ask questions. But people tend to inject their own opinions and biases into their answers, which seams to be the case in this thread.

Exactly this, thank you!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #28
sweetmtn

It seems I HAD to go further to answer the question...AGAIN. My first response to the question was a simple "YES! The navy is the ONLY branch of the military that requires females to cut their hair... " HOWEVER...that simple answer was questioned AGAIN. I dont know how many times or ways to say the same thing over and over again. So if you think I am getting snarky about it..it gets rather repetitive to get repeating ones self. IF and when the rules change..we will post them as soon as the navy makes it official in their rules.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #29
Mparker181

The last time this thread was even brought up was in February. So things can change. Pardon me for being curious. A simple "the rules haven't changed" was all that was needed. If you don't want to give repetitive answers, don't answer repetitive questions.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #30
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

While this thread has been dead since February, that question does pop up quite frequently. I've seen it at least 10 times and I haven't even been on here that long. Any thread that asks anything about hair will have it at least once as well as many of the ask the new graduates threads.

That plus the "I heard they're extending bootcamp to X number of weeks" . . . nope, the rumors persist but nothing actually changes.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #31
tiffanynacole

tiffanynacole is on a distinguished road

the last time it had been asked was 8 months ago. i can understand being curious.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #32
AyeeYoAP

AyeeYoAP is on a distinguished road

I went to bootcamp w. a sew in. There was one girl in my division who also had a sew in and another one had a wig.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #33
bosslady718

bosslady718 is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeeYoAP View Post
I went to bootcamp w. a sew in. There was one girl in my division who also had a sew in and another one had a wig.

ok so you wore a sew in!! did they have you take it out ???

I ship out DEC(2013) dont mind cutting it at all but if there was a possible way around it I would love that!!!

FYI Thanks for the info EVERYONE
Old 10-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #34
AyeeYoAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosslady718 View Post
ok so you wore a sew in!! did they have you take it out ???

I ship out DEC(2013) dont mind cutting it at all but if there was a possible way around it I would love that!!!

FYI Thanks for the info EVERYONE
Nope. My friend helped me take it out I think... after taps the Saturday before gradution so I could have time during holiday routine the next day to wash it and comb it out... etc! I wrote a letter to my mom telling her to schedule me a hair appointment for as soon as graduation ended. I literally spent all my liberty getting another sew in lol

Some MEPS will make you take it out. I know the one in Jacksonville for sure will make you do it bkuz thats what happened to one of the girls i went to A School with.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #35
Rusk

Rusk is on a distinguished road

It's just hair, get it cut.. easy day....
Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #36
bosslady718

bosslady718 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeeYoAP View Post
Nope. My friend helped me take it out I think... after taps the Saturday before gradution so I could have time during holiday routine the next day to wash it and comb it out... etc! I wrote a letter to my mom telling her to schedule me a hair appointment for as soon as graduation ended. I literally spent all my liberty getting another sew in lol

Some MEPS will make you take it out. I know the one in Jacksonville for sure will make you do it bkuz thats what happened to one of the girls i went to A School with.
lol ok thanks
Old 10-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #37
notjustaUSNwife

notjustaUSNwife is on a distinguished road

I would just plan to get it cut if it were me. Seems like a lot of wasted money if you get a sew in and they make you take it out. Personally, I'm chopping mine off as short as I can with it still being in regs before I leave. I can't stand hair in my face when I run and do physical activity and that's exactly what it will do if it's chin length.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #38
AyeeYoAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustaUSNwife View Post
I would just plan to get it cut if it were me. Seems like a lot of wasted money if you get a sew in and they make you take it out. Personally, I'm chopping mine off as short as I can with it still being in regs before I leave. I can't stand hair in my face when I run and do physical activity and that's exactly what it will do if it's chin length.
Actually, for girls like myself who are black and have relaxed hair a sew in is the BEST thing to do in this situation. And even if someone like me were to get one and have it taken out, trust me, its better to have at least tried. Our hair requires A LOT of maintenance and sew ins reduce that GREATLY! Thats why I got one.

And our hair grows slower than other ethnicitys so cutting our hair, especially if its long, is kinda a big deal :/
Old 10-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #39
delucabv23

delucabv23 is on a distinguished road

Well unfortunately...no one can really predict what the RDC's are going to do to our hair....if it's longer than regulations, it will be cut. If it meets regulations, the RDC may stil have you get it cut even shorter, just to screw with your head....who knows...I already cut my hair short...letting it grow out incase they decide to make me cut it again during P-days...it's only hair...it'll grow back eventually
Old 10-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #40
D.Brothers

D.Brothers is on a distinguished road

I keep my hair buzzed, so it doesn't really matter to me anyway. All I can say is just expect to get your hair cut... if they don't then great. I'm even expecting them to cut mine too
Old 10-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #41
sweetmtn

As been stated several times in this post...it is up to the RDC if your hair is getting cut at boot. One thing to keep in mind..the RDC's know you were told about the regulations on hair...if they feel like it, they will make you take out a weave or sew in to cut it anyway...and THAT will put a target on your back as someone who refused to listen to the rules...just something to think about as they will look for any reason to come down on you....and if you cry about it when they do it..wow...I would hate to be in your shoes!

Old 02-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #42
ravenwitmer

ravenwitmer is on a distinguished road

Im a femele and was wondering just how short I may get my hair...?
Old 02-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #43
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenwitmer View Post
Im a femele and was wondering just how short I may get my hair...?
Above the collar. But not so short that it is considered "faddish"
Old 02-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #44
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough

Wait... I didn't sign up to get my haircut! I'm a male, you mean they're going to cut all of it off at boot camp!!!11!!1!1!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
Old 02-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #45
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

It's no longer 2013, please start a new thread if you wish to continue this discussion. But the rules haven't changed

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
Closed Thread