NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Hospital Corpsmen G000, L500

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
kgervais

kgervais is on a distinguished road
Default Questions about C Schools

I was wondering if C Schools were only available if written into your original contract. I was under the impression that C School availability is based on your class ranking at A School.

Would you have to be certified in a certain field like radiation tech in the civilian world to be qualified for the C School?
kgervais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgervais View Post
I was wondering if C Schools were only available if written into your original contract. I was under the impression that C School availability is based on your class ranking at A School.

Would you have to be certified in a certain field like radiation tech in the civilian world to be qualified for the C School?
While researching ratings, I got the strong impression that the Navy not only doesn't care what you qualify for as a civilian, but in fact actively discourages people with prior experience from taking a similar rating. Doctors, for example, are apparently not allowed to be Corpsmen. I think the theory behind this is that they don't want to have to waste time un-learning you anything before they teach their own way.

I think the only way to get a C school in your contract is to guarantee a rating that requires it. I don't know this, but I guess you're probably right about people who are hot stuff in A getting the opportunity to go to C, if they show an interest.

EDIT: Just realized you're asking specifically about HM...here's a list of NECs available to that rating, if you're interested. A page that links to this says you can request C school training in any of these. I figure if you do that and you beat your competitors for it, there you go, you're in C.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navynecs/a/hm.-urt.htm
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
kgervais

kgervais is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
While researching ratings, I got the strong impression that the Navy not only doesn't care what you qualify for as a civilian, but in fact actively discourages people with prior experience from taking a similar rating. Doctors, for example, are apparently not allowed to be Corpsmen. I think the theory behind this is that they don't want to have to waste time un-learning you anything before they teach their own way.

I think the only way to get a C school in your contract is to guarantee a rating that requires it. I don't know this, but I guess you're probably right about people who are hot stuff in A getting the opportunity to go to C, if they show an interest.

EDIT: Just realized you're asking specifically about HM...here's a list of NECs available to that rating, if you're interested. A page that links to this says you can request C school training in any of these. I figure if you do that and you beat your competitors for it, there you go, you're in C.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navynecs/a/hm.-urt.htm
Haha, thanks. I was wondering because certain NECs like Mortician for HM you have to be certified for beforehand weirdly. I thought it was like that for all of them but my recruiter told me it isn't.
kgervais is offline   Reply With Quote