NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Firemen (Snipes) > MM = MACHINISTS MATE

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
seaexplorer

Question Machinist Mate A-school preparation

My son just signed up for the Navy and has picked the Machinist Mate rating, and volunteered for submarine duty.

Does anyone know much about the training and the best way to prepare?

I know he'll do basic submarine training then A-school for either auxiliary or weapons ...

He wanted to be a Hospital Corpsman but apparently that rate is booked solid for the next year, so he got his second choice.

I'd like to help him prepare for his Machinist Mate A school and the Basic Submarine school, but I don't know anything about these programs.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
PacificSunrise

PacificSunrise is on a distinguished road

Looks like your son and I are on the same boat. I too wanted to be a Corpsman, but got Machinist Mate and also volunteered for Submarines. A better choice in my opinion.

Here's a video of the Silent Strike Force which I found very informative. Another link, Basic Enlisted Submarine School, which is a 26 day course. Have a look at that so he knows what to expect at BESS.

And lastly, a Submarine FAQ, which has a ton of information about submarines. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the A School other thank its location, GL, and that it's 4 weeks long. Nearly forgot about the Dolphins. Go to this link, Submarine Warfare Qualification. Every bubblehead has to go through that process to earn their "Dolphins" pin.

Tags
basic submarine school, machinist mate