NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
Tay

Tay is on a distinguished road
Default Leadership Positions

I ship 20150715. I want to volunteer for either Rpoc or Aroc. I know I should try not to be seen but I want a chance for promotion by doing these jobs. What were some reasons they would get dropped from these positions. I'll try to volunteer after like 1 or 2 people get dropped from the positions. Also should I learn marching commands?
Old 07-11-2015, 11:03 PM   #2
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Why volunteer after 1-2 people get dropped? What if the first one makes it all the way through? If you want to go for something then do it.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:41 PM   #3
Tay

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureND View Post
Why volunteer after 1-2 people get dropped? What if the first one makes it all the way through? If you want to go for something then do it.
To learn from others mistakes. At Rtc the first Rpoc or Aroc usually isn't the one who graduate with this position
Old 07-11-2015, 11:58 PM   #4
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay View Post
I ship 20150715. I want to volunteer for either Rpoc or Aroc. I know I should try not to be seen but I want a chance for promotion by doing these jobs. What were some reasons they would get dropped from these positions. I'll try to volunteer after like 1 or 2 people get dropped from the positions. Also should I learn marching commands?
If you want it go ahead and do it. But just remember, it doesn't mean anything once you graduate. Go for laundry crew lol

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
Old 07-12-2015, 12:04 AM   #5
Tay

Quote:
Originally Posted by classified9 View Post
If you want it go ahead and do it. But just remember, it doesn't mean anything once you graduate. Go for laundry crew lol
I'm going in as E-1. I heard stories of people coming out as e-3. I would like the opportunity do that as well.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:11 AM   #6
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm going in as E-1. I heard stories of people coming out as e-3. I would like the opportunity do that as well.
Make sure you pass the indoc and initial PT test, that'll get you from e1 to e2. And every person in the div has a chance to get advanced. The entire laundry crew kicked ass and got advanced where only 1 out of the 4 rcpo's did

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
Old 07-12-2015, 12:27 AM   #7
Tay

Quote:
Originally Posted by classified9 View Post
Make sure you pass the indoc and initial PT test, that'll get you from e1 to e2. And every person in the div has a chance to get advanced. The entire laundry crew kicked ass and got advanced where only 1 out of the 4 rcpo's did
Ok good to know. And what all was on the test? I know my general orders,Rtc maxim,sailors creed, chain of command, and alphabets. What else should I learn?
Old 07-12-2015, 05:58 AM   #8
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

That's almost all the test consists of. Also know the maximum body fat percentages and what an LES is. Those were questions I had.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #9
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My RCPO didn't get advanced... nor did my brother division's, nor my buddy who was RCPO in his division. Laundry and Head PO's got advanced... so did several regular Recruits who our RDC's just noticed were squared away and helped fellow Recruits.

Also, nobody volunteered... every leadership position was assigned, whether you wanted it or not.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Old 07-12-2015, 10:53 PM   #10
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

If you want a position then go for it, don't wait for someone else to fail because they may not. Do what you think is best for you, but don't be a pu**y about it
Old 07-12-2015, 11:03 PM   #11
Tay

Quote:
If you want a position then go for it, don't wait for someone else to fail because they may not. Do what you think is best for you, but don't be a pu**y about it
It's inevitable. Did you volunteer for something?
Old 07-12-2015, 11:51 PM   #12
FutureND
**Active Duty**

Yes, rpoc, and I was there till the end.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:14 AM   #13
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's inevitable. Did you volunteer for something?
Strongly recommend you don't talk to active duty folks as if you already know exactly what's going to happen.

You seem to be under the impression that by "learning from others' mistakes", you can be the "perfect" RCPO. It won't happen. RDCs are going to be just as interested in your failures, and how you handle them, as your successes.

If you want to get advanced in boot camp, be excellent at whatever you do, own your mistakes WHEN (not if) you make them, and help others if they need it. Don't slack off if you get an unglamorous job, either. If you get assigned Toilet Paper Petty Officer (we had one: his job was to make sure every roll in the head was stocked and dressed just so at all times), you keep those rolls in perfect condition and you do it with pride.

If your best efforts don't get you advanced, get over it and move on. Sometimes even your best work goes ignored. If you give up because of that, you don't deserve the credit anyway.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:47 AM   #14
Squid350
**Active Duty**

Squid350 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
To learn from others mistakes. At Rtc the first Rpoc or Aroc usually isn't the one who graduate with this position
My division had the same RPOC from day one. Apparently that's the equivalent of having a pet unicorn, but it happened. Not like anyone else wanted the job anyway.

We went through the other positions with a quickness though. I think I was division MA for about five minutes.

Visit the "Navy Deppers" facebook group!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #15
Tay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
Strongly recommend you don't talk to active duty folks as if you already know exactly what's going to happen.

You seem to be under the impression that by "learning from others' mistakes", you can be the "perfect" RCPO. It won't happen. RDCs are going to be just as interested in your failures, and how you handle them, as your successes.

If you want to get advanced in boot camp, be excellent at whatever you do, own your mistakes WHEN (not if) you make them, and help others if they need it. Don't slack off if you get an unglamorous job, either. If you get assigned Toilet Paper Petty Officer (we had one: his job was to make sure every roll in the head was stocked and dressed just so at all times), you keep those rolls in perfect condition and you do it with pride.

If your best efforts don't get you advanced, get over it and move on. Sometimes even your best work goes ignored. If you give up because of that, you don't deserve the credit anyway.
You say this as if you know exactly what's going to happen.

If I had the position I would give it my all, but If I knew the ropes to this job good then my all my work would sum up better than if I didn't have a clue. And I never said anything about giving up.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:08 AM   #16
Tay

Quote:
Yes, rpoc, and I was there till the end.
Good for you, but all situations aren't the same
Old 07-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #17
Tay

This point of this thread was for people to tell their stories of why Rpoc and Aroc was getting dropped in their division so I could see what not to do.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #18
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This point of this thread was for people to tell their stories of why Rpoc and Aroc was getting dropped in their division so I could see what not to do.
It's arbitrary. We had guys get fired purely just to make an example that they could be. They didn't screw anything up, they would just get sacked publicly to scare everyone else. What we're trying to say is that none of it matters anyway, so don't sweat it. If you're in one of those positions then you need to be exceeding all standards all of the time. But even then, you can get sacked just for the hell of it. Once you're in the Fleet, or shoot even A-school, none of that will matter anyway.

/r
CTT1
Old 07-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #19
FutureND
**Active Duty**

It's about leadership. A leader is not someone who sits back and watches someone else fail. I was good at my job not because I am a super extraordinary leader, but because I looked out for my men and had their backs, and in turn they had mine.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #20
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Quote:
Boot camp is a game. One where you don't know all the rules and they change whenever the RDCs feel like it. You're not going to do yourself any favors by trying to outsmart the system.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
Old 07-13-2015, 10:44 AM   #21
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Didn't see this until LTJG posted above, but if you want input from Sailors, this is not a great way to go about it.

/r
CTT1
Old 07-13-2015, 11:16 AM   #22
Tay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
Didn't see this until LTJG posted above, but if you want input from Sailors, this is not a great way to go about it.

/r
CTT1
I know that once boot camp is all over it won't matter.

You say if I want input from Sailors, this is not a great way to go about it. Instead of answering the simple question I had everybody on this thread just wanted to preach. Only abouts 2 comments were helpful.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #23
Tay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Boot camp is a game. One where you don't know all the rules and they change whenever the RDCs feel like it. You're not going to do yourself any favors by trying to outsmart the system.
I'm not trying to outsmart the system. I understand that boot camp is a game. All I wanted to know is do the high up positions got dropped for things like not having the room clean.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #24
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
I'm not trying to outsmart the system. I understand that boot camp is a game. All I wanted to know is do the high up positions got dropped for things like not having the room clean.
Absolutely. Or not getting it cleaned fast enough, or if Recruit Timmy farted and it smells weird now, or maybe they just axe you even if it is clean.

What we're saying is it doesn't matter if you would get dropped for something or not; they may or may not just axe someone for something that may or may not even exist. You could do everything perfectly and still get axed. So contemplating what will or will not keep you as an RPOC/AROC is kind of a pointless exercise since literally anything and everything falls into that category.

Focus more on learning and getting as much out of the training as you can, the rest will fall into place and is mostly out of your hands.

/r
CTT1
Closed Thread