NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road
Default Crossrating to AWF/FE

So my squadron is very low on FEs and they're actively looking for FE volunteers. There's a possibility of them making it mandatory for one of our shops too. Anyways, I'm currently seriously considering it. If I do, I have to go back to Pensacola to go through NACCS and possibly AWF school. Then SERE after that. What I'm wondering is what is NACCS like as a fleet returnee? I know we get to stay at the Echo barracks which exempts us from a lot of the BS that comes with normal NACCS barracks life. What is AWF school like? (Should be the same as any other Pensacola class right?) And what is SERE like? (What you're allowed to tell me at least.) I definitely need to work on my running and swimming more before I leave if I choose to go. All my aircrew friends said SERE sucks too lol

All in all, I'm just curious what the process is like normally and as a fleet returnee. I think it would be pretty fun as an FE here. They all seem to enjoy it.

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:07 PM   #2
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

NACCS is much quicker and less BS as a Fleet... you'll stay in the Navy Gateway most likely and get per diem while you're in Pensacola... at least the Fleet's that went through while I was there did. You check in and go through INDOC week, and if you don't need to go on Swim or PT Hold, you'll class up with the next class... this is vs. waiting in backlog for up to 2 months like new accessions. Otherwise, NACCS will be the same for you as everyone else... don't expect to be treated special because you're not new... you're still a Piece of S**t Candidate, lol.

Unfortunately I know nothing about AWF "A" School... it's basically a modified AE School, so circuits and wires and stuff.

SERE is the best training you'll never want to do again... then again, I've since volunteered for two advanced courses, so maybe you will want to do it again... or maybe I'm just insane. Beyond that, the course is Secret... but I can tell you that there's really no preparation and you really can't fail. The only person that failed in my course left in a medical helicopter... just get through it and come out the other end.

TACAMO isn't going away... if you can secure a spot as an FE on the E-6B, I'd definitely go for it!

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

Thanks! Sounds great. I think I might just have to do it now. The little class up waiting time and the per diem sounds nice lol

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."

Old 05-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #4
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

Is it true that if something was to happen and I don't pass the training that I would come back here and continue what I was doing before? Assuming it wasn't something pretty bad medically of course

Old 05-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzerAsp View Post
Is it true that if something was to happen and I don't pass the training that I would come back here and continue what I was doing before? Assuming it wasn't something pretty bad medically of course
That I don't know... it would depend on how your orders are cut and if they fill your billet once you're gone. I know you'd stay in your rate at least, since you'll stay in-rate until you graduate AWF "A" School.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:00 PM   #6
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
That I don't know... it would depend on how your orders are cut and if they fill your billet once you're gone. I know you'd stay in your rate at least, since you'll stay in-rate until you graduate AWF "A" School.
It would be nice if I could get back here. I like it here lol who do you suggest I ask about that? Admin?

Old 05-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #7
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzerAsp View Post
It would be nice if I could get back here. I like it here lol who do you suggest I ask about that? Admin?
Admin maybe... or your NC if your command has one. Whoever is handling the program to convert to AWF should have more info on what happens if you don't make it through NACCS. Also, what's your rank?

Old 05-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #8
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Admin maybe... or your NC if your command has one. Whoever is handling the program to convert to AWF should have more info on what happens if you don't make it through NACCS. Also, what's your rank?
Ok I'll do that. There's an AWFCS in charge of it. I plan on hunting him down and talking to him tomorrow. I'll talk to our NC as well. I'm an AA on Tuesday

Old 05-20-2015, 09:14 PM   #9
Haasino
**Active Duty**

If you're an AA, I'd ask about class-up times and housing as well... the Fleet's who went through when I was there were all E-5's, so it might be different for you.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:18 PM   #10
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

Quote:
If you're an AA, I'd ask about class-up times and housing as well... the Fleet's who went through when I was there were all E-5's, so it might be different for you.
All the fleets stayed in the new Echo barracks. It's really nice. It's basically a hotel. Class up times, I'm not sure. I'll ask about that.