NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ask A Spook! Cryptologic Questions

Hey all!

I wanted to offer help to any CT deppers that are coming in. I've got experience with both shore and sea duties as a CT, so if you have any questions feel free to ask!

(Obviously all correspondence will be unclassified)

You may need to find the last page of this thread, as that's where the most recent posts can be found at.

Respectfully,
CTT1

Last edited by FlyNavy; 11-09-2014 at 09:52 AM.
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
futureSPOOK32

futureSPOOK32 is on a distinguished road

Hello, I've been wondering about how the schedule during a-school goes, generally speaking. Any help is appreciated!
Old 07-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #3
jody13

jody13 is on a distinguished road

My daughter leaves Sept 8 also. She's a ctt
jody13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Jody, first off to your daughter; good choice ;) haha (I'll admit I'm kind of partial to us T branchers)

FutureSPOOK32; Your time at A-school will be different depending on what branch of CT you are going into (CTT, CTR, ect). You can always check on places like usmilitary.about.com and they can give you a rough estimate of length. Add on to that a few weeks for being in holding (before you class/badge up). Let me know what branch of CT you're going into and I can give you a rough idea of what your A-School will be like.

/r
CTT1
Old 07-04-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

I forgot to add that Corry Station in Pensacola is probably the best A-School location in the entire Navy haha So there's that to look forward to as well!
Old 07-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
futureSPOOK32

futureSPOOK32 is on a distinguished road

I'll be a CTR, I visited Correy station a few weeks back and it seemed really nice, I think I'll really enjoy my time outside the classroom. Also their recreational facilities are awesome.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:00 AM   #7
jody13

Hi ctt1.. its jody 13. I mentioned last week that my daughter is a ctt. She leaves Sept 8. I've read everything I could find about the rate on the whole internet. Not much out there. I guess because it's mostly secret. Is there anything u can say about it. It seems interesting. Will she mostly be at sea. Any certain ship more than another. I would love any info. Thanks

Last edited by jody13; 07-08-2014 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #8
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Jody;

First of all, congratulations again to your daughter for deciding to join the World's Finest Navy (and picking a badass rate as well!)

As CTT's we are responsible for a whole range of activities both ashore and afloat. Afloat we work everything from battlespace awareness (ie, find and watch the bad guys before they find us), Anti-Ship Missile Defense (ASMD), and everything that encompasses Electronic Warfare. On the shore duty side we work in national intelligence positions that work to help support Navy and national missions. Where your daughter gets stationed (ship or shore) will mostly just depend on the needs of the Navy at the time she is picking orders.

As far as certain ships, pretty much every combat ship in the fleet has CTTs onboard. DDGs, CGs, LHD, CVN, you name it and we're probably there in some form or fashion. The great thing about that fact is that CTTs have a serious opportunity to see the world due to the fact we can go almost anywhere the Navy can take you.

Another thing you should keep in mind however is the highly classified nature of our work. Your daughter won't be able to discuss what she does on a daily basis, where she might be going during deployments, or what shes learning about in class. But even without all the specifics, she'll still be able to share most of her Navy career with you, so don't worry. Just be mindful of what you're putting out there on facebook or social media about where and what your daughter is doing. The old saying "Loose lips sink ships" is just as true today than it ever was. Now that your daughter is entering the military and the intelligence community, it becomes a whole family effort to maintain OPSEC (Operational Security/Do some google searches on that one).

Hope that helps some! Let me know if you have further questions. I'll try to go deeper into detain on specifics if I can (obviously just the unclassified stuff)

/r
CTT1
Old 07-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #9
triggz710

triggz710 is on a distinguished road

Any input on CTN?
triggz710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #10
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Trigz;

CTN's are the Navy's Cyber Warfare and Security experts. If you're into Cyber Security, then this is the rate for you. Keep in mind however that this rating requires a Top Secret security clearance. So talk to your recruiter and make sure this is something you're comfortable/able to apply for.

CTN's, like almost all the other CT branches will attend A-school at Corry Station in Pensacola, Florida (Best A-school location in the Navy if you ask me). You will go through a program known as JCAC, which from what I hear is quite challenging. It's not impossible to pass, but it's not something you breeze through. After A-school, some Sailors will head to further schools (C-schools) while others go to the Fleet.

As a whole, CTN's are mostly a shore-based rate. You will work in large faculties that support intelligence and security objectives in the Cyber realm. There are a few chances to get aboard ships for things like security audits on Navy networks, but for the most part you're going to be a shore-based Sailor. Even if you aren't going to sea however, you're still going to be plenty engaged doing some badass stuff (obviously nothing that can be discussed here). Overall, I have yet to meet a CTN that didn't waste an opportunity to tell me how much they loved their job.

I do want to add a something to the whole majority shore duty thing though. There ARE opportunities to do some badass stuff as a CT in Spec-Ops, and that would be in TIO. One of the admins left a good little post up about TIO if a desk job just isn't enough for you (see URL below). Keep in mind though that information on this program will be scarce, as everything TIO does is highly classified. And also realize that you're going to be held to the same physical standards that other Spec-Ops guys are. Below is the URL for that post.
http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2049

Hopefully that sheds a little bit of light on the rating for ya! Let me know if you have further questions.

/r
CTT1
Old 07-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

I also forgot to add how insanely marketable CTN Sailors are after their military service. Those guys rack up a TON of Cyber Security experience as well as all kinds of certifications. Finding a job after the Navy is not a problem at all for these guys.

So if a 20-year Navy career isn't in the cards for you, at least you would be on a great track for your civilian career afterwards!
Old 07-11-2014, 03:00 AM   #12
jody13

Hi ctt1
Thanks so much for the info. Ur so awesome for all the info u give everyone. I'm so excited for my daughter. Her decision to join the Navy came out of no where. She's a maui girl and it seemed scarey at first but I'm really happy she will serve our great country and do something unique. She wants me to join with her. Lol. Will this rate provide her opportunities after her 4 years if she doesn't continue in the Navy. Her uncle works as a civilian for the Navy but had a different rate. Can she become an officer later on without a degree. . Thanks again..jody
Old 07-11-2014, 06:59 AM   #13
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody13 View Post
Hi ctt1
Thanks so much for the info. Ur so awesome for all the info u give everyone. I'm so excited for my daughter. Her decision to join the Navy came out of no where. She's a maui girl and it seemed scarey at first but I'm really happy she will serve our great country and do something unique. She wants me to join with her. Lol. Will this rate provide her opportunities after her 4 years if she doesn't continue in the Navy. Her uncle works as a civilian for the Navy but had a different rate. Can she become an officer later on without a degree. . Thanks again..jody
Jody,

Any branch of CT is in great position to obtain a federal job after their service. Our security clearance alone can be worth $50,000 to $100,000 to a potential employer (as in, they won't have to pay that much for a civilian to obtain a clearance). So yes, job prospects shouldn't be too hard.

As far as becoming an officer without a degree? The only ways that happen are if she were to go Limited Duty Officer (LDO) or Chief Warrant Officer (CWO). Both of which however require years and experience as a sailor (CWO specifically you have to make Chief before you're eligible). These would be moves she would be making around the 10-13 year mark in the Navy (each Sailor is different however)

NAVPERS15627-A and OPNAVINST 1420.1B both give an overview of what these programs entail.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #14
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Where are my future Spooks?!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #15
jody13

Hi ctt1.. My daughter got in trouble the other day at a meeting for using the term spook. . Kinda strange because everyone uses it? ?? She's leaving in 27 days. I'm freaking out. Should I go to Chicago for graduation. .I don't know how to plan to see her. . Hawaii is so far away. It's not easy or cheap to make lady minute plans. . Do they tell her things ahead of time enough for me to plan. Thanks again, jody 13
Old 08-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #16
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

Is it easy or hard to make rate in the CTR field? In theory, if people are constantly getting contractor jobs, wouldn't that make it easier because it frees up spots? Or does it just not work out like that?
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #17
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSSparks View Post
Is it easy or hard to make rate in the CTR field? In theory, if people are constantly getting contractor jobs, wouldn't that make it easier because it frees up spots? Or does it just not work out like that?
gonna quote that in case you missed it since there was another page made.

But I also have another question. If I volunteer for sub duty, will that help my 'resume' when trying to make rate? Especially chief and above? Or when it comes down to it does it not really matter. I really don't want to be in a sub, but i'll do what ever it takes.

And I know a lot of my questions so far have been the best way to get rated higher, and I shouldn't be worrying to much about it. But my main goal is to become a Warrant Officer. And my recruiter has a little plaque that says a goal without a plan is just a wish. So I'm trying to get a feel of what I NEED to do to help me achieve this. A Warrant Officer may be tough to get, so I'm even happy with just chief. But I still want to try for that Warrant Officer.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #18
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
But I also have another question. If I volunteer for sub duty, will that help my 'resume' when trying to make rate? Especially chief and above? Or when it comes down to it does it not really matter. I really don't want to be in a sub, but i'll do what ever it takes.

My RDC was a CTICS(SW/SG). Basically, the SG is a sub warfare pin, but instead of the usual SS pin (dolphins), the SG pin means that you're "Qualified in submarines; not detailed by the submarine community."

I don't know a whole lot about it, but it's something worth looking into.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #19
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
A Warrant Officer may be tough to get, so I'm even happy with just chief. But I still want to try for that Warrant Officer.
Training moment here...
Don't ever let anyone here you say "just Chief". Earning your Anchors is a HUGE milestone in a Sailors career and the Chiefs mess is one of the tightest knit groups in the military. You'll understand more once you're in for a bit, but being a Chief in the Navy is VASTLY different than being an E-7 in the other services. Trust me, I work with other services all the time and it's not even comparable.

That being said, I applaud you for having a plan for your goals! Just keep in mind that making Warrant is something that could take 10+ years. So buckle down for the long haul. It's great that you're already looking ahead though!

/r
CTT1
Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #20
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

Thanks again Griffin. Always have some wise words to say. But yea unless someone can offer me a job that has great pay and is reliable, then I probably will stay Navy for the 20 years. From what I heard you have to have 14 years in the Navy and be Chief before you can even start thinking about WO.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:36 AM   #21
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Bumped for questions
Old 08-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #22
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Hi ctt1.. My daughter got in trouble the other day at a meeting for using the term spook. . Kinda strange because everyone uses it? ?? She's leaving in 27 days. I'm freaking out. Should I go to Chicago for graduation. .I don't know how to plan to see her. . Hawaii is so far away. It's not easy or cheap to make lady minute plans. . Do they tell her things ahead of time enough for me to plan. Thanks again, jody 13
Jody,
I'm not really sure I see the issue in using that term. Although he might be getting after her since she hasn't actually earned the title yet. That I could see. As far as graduation, it's something you should try to make it there for. It's great seeing family after boot camp and you'll get to spend some time with her before she heads off to Pensacola. I highly recommend making the trip if you're able.

Quote:
Not everybody leaves for contractor jobs. The Navy over the last few years has been seeing record high retention numbers. That being said though, making rate as a CT is typically easier than most other rates. You'll get PO3 pretty fast, but PO2 and PO1 both are going to require some work and a few years. But overall we CT types rank up faster that most.

/r
CTT1
Old 08-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #23
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Sorry for being late on the response folks! Busy week so far...

/r
CTT1
Old 08-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #24
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough

Good afternoon CTT1,

I just had a few general questions since you've had plenty of experience working alongside other CT ratings:

What could a typical first enlistment look like for a CTI? What are the potential duty stations right out of the DLI?

Also, I have researched that most special assignments for CT's such as aircrew, sub duty, and special operations are more 2nd tour type duties (not right out of the DLI), is this correct? I've just heard that during your first enlistment you're more than likely going to be at a NIOC with a desk job...or a mop...

Thank you in advance petty officer

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
classified9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #25
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by classified9 View Post
Good afternoon CTT1,

I just had a few general questions since you've had plenty of experience working alongside other CT ratings:

What could a typical first enlistment look like for a CTI? What are the potential duty stations right out of the DLI?

Also, I have researched that most special assignments for CT's such as aircrew, sub duty, and special operations are more 2nd tour type duties (not right out of the DLI), is this correct? I've just heard that during your first enlistment you're more than likely going to be at a NIOC with a desk job...or a mop...

Thank you in advance petty officer
Classified,

I'm out of town for the next few days. I'll get everything to you as soon as I'm back!
Old 08-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #26
JoeSpook

JoeSpook is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty anxious to hear what comes up, as well. Classified, I hope to meet you at DLI!

Best,
j

DEP: 20140630
CTI: 20140709
Ship: 20141201
JoeSpook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:37 PM   #27
Maverick07

Maverick07 will become famous soon enough

Just finished reading this thread and gathered a lot of valuable information. Excited to be a future CTN, but I have 5 months til I ship. I have years of experience using Windows and Microsoft Office programs, but none in programming or networking. Any CTN's have a networking tutorial book that they would recommend? Would like to build a foundation to give me a leg up when I get to A school, because programming and networking is going to be challenging. Thanks for any advice. I appreciate it.
Maverick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #28
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNAVYCASTRO View Post
Hey CTT1 I posted this in another thread. But I'll post here cause I don't think anyone noticed :p
regarding the security clearances for CTI/CTT/CTN my mother and older sister are not US Citizens, they are residents. I know they are planning on taking the citizenship test, so should I wait to join aCT rating until they are citizens? Is it possible to join a different rate and then when they become citizens swap to a CT rating?
Castro,
As long as YOU are a citizen, that's what counts. Your family being residents is going to be a crap ton of paperwork no matter when they become citizens (since they were born in another country). Just be upfront on your paperwork and get everything the investigator will need and you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick07 View Post
Just finished reading this thread and gathered a lot of valuable information. Excited to be a future CTN, but I have 5 months til I ship. I have years of experience using Windows and Microsoft Office programs, but none in programming or networking. Any CTN's have a networking tutorial book that they would recommend? Would like to build a foundation to give me a leg up when I get to A school, because programming and networking is going to be challenging. Thanks for any advice. I appreciate it.
I'll touch base on the 2 big things you mentioned:
Networking: Study material as if you were going to take your CCNA. That cert is going to cover a TON of what you're going to pick up in the cyber realm. Having at least a working understanding of the concepts in CCNA will make life a lot easier. If I had to pick the most important thing though, I would say LEARN TO SUBNET. You should be able to subnet using only a pen and paper and be able to tell me Network Address, Gateway, First Usable address, Broadcast Address, and what the next network address after that would be. If you can do that before A-school, you're going to have a significantly easier time there.

Programming: Don't stress too much on this one. If you want to be a programmer then there might be some opportunities at whatever site you land at. But they aren't going to start drilling you on Perl scripts or anything in A-school haha So don't stress about knowing how to code.

Let me know if you have more questions! I'm currently part of the cyber world myself, so I have a very close relationship with CTNs.

/r
CTT1
Old 10-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #29
Navyftw93

Navyftw93 is on a distinguished road

So i'm leaving in just a week for boot, going IS. Do you have any wisdom to shine on the IS rating? (:
Old 10-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #30
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Recently got this question in my inbox:

I went to the recruiter today and i am dead set on CTM but they said i need to be a little more open for them to send me to MEPS... I want to be in the CT field and i want to do hands on work... What does the CTT Rate do and what can you tell me?

Thank you
Alaina

======================================
As a T brancher, you're definitely going to be getting to do hands on work. If getting into the circuits and chasing wire's (as well as operating the Electronic Warfare suite) is something that you'd be interested in, then I would consider the AEF route in the CTT rate. AEF is for the 6yr contracts for Sailors that undergo additional months of technical training to be able to troubleshoot the internal electronics of our systems.

Even as just an operator tough, I was constantly working on everything from the circuit cards to our chaff launching system, to the antennas. So either way you go, you're going to be hands on with your equipment.

Overall, as a CTT in the AEF pipeline, you would be doing just as much tech work as a a CTM, just on a different system. The bonus of being a T branch tech though is that you get to actually operate the system you're working on. You'll not only be able to repair the equipment, but you'll also be involved in combat operations for the ship. CTM's don't really role in operating the equipment they repair or manning a combat related station.

/r
CTT1
Old 10-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #31
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Bump
Old 10-31-2014, 03:03 PM   #32
Jdubbs

Jdubbs is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for this thread.. I leave for Boot January 6th as a CTN. Doing all the research i possibly can because even my recruiter couldn't tell me much about my Rate. You're tidbit on CTNs is the most i've found, and now i'm even more excited to start my career and life in the Navy
Jdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #33
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubbs View Post
Thank you very much for this thread.. I leave for Boot January 6th as a CTN. Doing all the research i possibly can because even my recruiter couldn't tell me much about my Rate. You're tidbit on CTNs is the most i've found, and now i'm even more excited to start my career and life in the Navy
It's an awesome rate. The only draw back is that you don't travel as much as the other CT types, but you're quite literally going to be making a difference in National Security from day one. Its a massive responsibility.

/r
CTT1
Old 11-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #34
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Bump after some CT related posts

If you have specific CT questions, place them here!

/r
CTT1
Old 11-13-2014, 01:35 AM   #35
Maverick07

Maverick07 will become famous soon enough

Will holding certifications in computer networks and security from companies like Cisco and CompTIA help in advancement or command placement? I've been studying Network+ and Security+ for the past 2 months, but will not pay the $264 for a certification test if it holds no bearing in the Navy. I explored the Navy Cool website, which list all the civilian credentials/certifications related to the CTN rating. The Navy also gives out exam vouchers to pay for these certifications.
Maverick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #36
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick07 View Post
Will holding certifications in computer networks and security from companies like Cisco and CompTIA help in advancement or command placement? I've been studying Network+ and Security+ for the past 2 months, but will not pay the $264 for a certification test if it holds no bearing in the Navy. I explored the Navy Cool website, which list all the civilian credentials/certifications related to the CTN rating. The Navy also gives out exam vouchers to pay for these certifications.
As far as command placement, it won't have any bearing.

As far as advancement though, it will give you a huge leg up on your competition. It won't grant you additional points or anything, but you'll be ahead of the curve knowledge wise for sure.

/r
CTT1
Old 12-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #37
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Seen a few CT questions lately. Bumping this thread if there are any more!

/r
CTT1
Old 08-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #38
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Bumping for a new user

/r
CTT1
Old 08-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #39
texasag15

texasag15 is on a distinguished road

Just some background info:
Finishing a B.S. in Economics this December at TAMU (gig 'em ags!) and looking at going in as a CTN (I've looked at the other CT rates as well as IT and I've pretty much decided that it's CTN or bust for me).

Recruiter told me he couldn't really give me a good number regarding demand until after the new FY in October, so I understand if you can't really give a precise answer. I figured maybe being inside the community you might have a little more knowledge. Anyway, questions:

1. What's the demand look like for CTNs?

2. What are the most likely duty stations for CTNs to go to right now for first
tour (INCONUS)? (I understand if you can't really answer this one as well due to the whole not knowing demand issue)

3. How quickly (keep in mind I'm going in as an E3) does one usually get put into a leadership position within the community?

4. What opportunities for personal growth (certs, training, etc.) could I expect to be available outside required job training?

5. What is the job market like for CTNs post-Navy? (i.e. Are DoD contractors fighting over them because of the clearance and/or skills? Is there a specific position you see a larger number former CTNs going into?)

6. Typical day in the life of a CTN? (I understand that there isn't a lot that can be said with this one, but I figure there's no harm in asking)

These are the main ones I can think of right now. I'm sure that I'll have more once I learn more.

Thanks for any and all help.
texasag15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #40
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasag15 View Post
Just some background info:
Finishing a B.S. in Economics this December at TAMU (gig 'em ags!) and looking at going in as a CTN (I've looked at the other CT rates as well as IT and I've pretty much decided that it's CTN or bust for me).

Recruiter told me he couldn't really give me a good number regarding demand until after the new FY in October, so I understand if you can't really give a precise answer. I figured maybe being inside the community you might have a little more knowledge. Anyway, questions:

1. What's the demand look like for CTNs?
Every month, each rates Community Manager (a Master Chief in charge of manning levels within their rate) puts out a Community Overview slide showing the manning levels at every pay grade and year group. Here is the slide for CTNs

http://www.npc.navy.mil/bupers-npc/e...Pages/CTN.aspx

As a whole for E3 and E4 area, it looks pretty wide open. So it'll come down to A) if you qualify and B) is there a quota the month you're going to go down there and pick a rate. With the way it looks though, if you qualify then you shouldn't have too much trouble getting it. You're recruiter is being lazy for not looking that up (it's possible he doesn't know about it, but that's a weak excuse for a Petty Officer). October has nothing to do with it as this gets updated monthly. He's just thinking for when the budget starts over (Oct is the start of the fiscal calendar) and they can start paying for orders and billets to get you guys shipped out.

Quote:
2. What are the most likely duty stations for CTNs to go to right now for first
tour (INCONUS)? (I understand if you can't really answer this one as well due to the whole not knowing demand issue)
You'll be going to a NIOC for your first tour, almost without a doubt. So NIOC Texas, Georgia, Washington (Ft Meade), Hawaii, or in rare cases, Pensacola. If you don't end up at one of these as your first tour, you're the exception lol

Quote:
3. How quickly (keep in mind I'm going in as an E3) does one usually get put into a leadership position within the community?
It will depend on how you are as an individual, what quals you've gotten, and what the makeup is of your shop rank wise. If there's a ton of PO2's, then I'm not gonna put a Seaman or PO3 in charge. You'll make PO2 fairly quick though compared to other rates. Also, you'll be working in a joint environment; so you'll also be in competition with them in some cases.

Quote:
4. What opportunities for personal growth (certs, training, etc.) could I expect to be available outside required job training?
At a minimum we'll send you to get your CCNA, maybe your CEH, etc. It'll depend what shop you end up in but you'll definitely get some certs out of your time
Quote:
5. What is the job market like for CTNs post-Navy? (i.e. Are DoD contractors fighting over them because of the clearance and/or skills? Is there a specific position you see a larger number former CTNs going into?)
You're not gonna have a hard time finding work outside of the Navy. I wouldn't say contractors are fighting over them, but if you wanna come back there's usually at least the opportunity. I can't comment on specific positions we're taking though for OPSEC purposes. But suffice to say you'll be able to find work either as a contractor or with a civilian company.

Quote:
6. Typical day in the life of a CTN? (I understand that there isn't a lot that can be said with this one, but I figure there's no harm in asking)
0700: Get to work
0730: Quarters with your division
0800-1130: REDACTED
1130-1230: Lunch
1230-1600: REDACTED
1600+: Go home

Obviously I can't discuss what you'll be doing at work. Even if I could, it varies wildly depending on what shop you work in. But suffice to say you'll have plenty of cool shit to work on. And when you're not busy, you're working on quals or learning new shit.

Quote:
These are the main ones I can think of right now. I'm sure that I'll have more once I learn more.

Thanks for any and all help.
Yep! I'll throw in some bonus material here though.
I'm the LPO of a cyber division right now, so here are some of the basic things I have new guys coming into my shop explain to me so I can gauge their level of knowledge:
=============================================
I expect you to be able to subnet without a subnetting calculator and be able to explain to me the basics of networking (routers, switches, hubs, ect). This is basic knowledge.

Explain how PKI works (public keys, private keys, etc.)

Explain how DNS works.

What's a traceroute?

Explain what a Hash is. If you get that, what's salting?
And if you get that, what's more secure: hashing or encrypting? Why?

What's the difference between a threat and a vulnerability?

Anyway, that's just a few. But those are all pretty basic questions so if you're struggling with those start doing your homework.

/r
CTT1
Old 05-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #41
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

bump
Old 08-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #42
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Graduation is pretty great. But you may get to spend more time with her if you go visit at her A-School for a long weekend. I'd leave that one up to her; would she rather you see her graduate (in person, there is a live-stream online) and spend a couple hours with you or spend a couple days with you a couple weeks later?

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:06 AM   #43
jody13

Hi Guppy. .its a little far to go to graduation from Hawaii but I wouldn't want to miss it. Also we have family near Pensacola. . That's where she goes for school. So I will definately see her there too...I guess the question is does she get information on dates in a timely manner so I can plan and make air plane ticketsfor grad and time off after a school. . Thanks, jody13
Old 08-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #44
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

How much traveling is done by CTR's usually? Do they have more shore duties then othe sailors? Over seas or states side? Out on deployments more or less then the average sailor?

Edit: Also, would a computer science degree possibly a good degree to have later on?

Last edited by CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie; 08-15-2014 at 06:38 PM.
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #45
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
How much traveling is done by CTR's usually? Do they have more shore duties then othe sailors? Over seas or states side? Out on deployments more or less then the average sailor?

Edit: Also, would a computer science degree possibly a good degree to have later on?
CTRs travel just as much as any other rate really. If you're on a ship then you're going everywhere the ship goes, just like everyone else. No matter where you go you're going to be part of a unit. So you're going to be doing everything else that they're doing, when they're doing it. If the ship is getting underway for a week, you're getting underway for a week. Catch my drift?

Sea/Shore rotation is typically 4yrs sea duty/3yrs shore. Although that changes after you've been in for a while (years down the road), just wrap your head around going to a sea command (aka a deployable command) for your first tour. In rare cases some Sailors are assigned shore duty right off the bat, but this is the exception and not the standard.

CS is a great degree to have if you're going into a technical field!

/r
CTT1
Old 08-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #46
isf215

isf215 is on a distinguished road

Hey CTT1(SW)Griffin,

I've heard a few different things about CTI's and getting stationed. I've heard that they don't go by the typical sea/shore duty, but CONUS/OCONUS duty. If you could, would you be able to elaborate a little more on that?

Thanks
isf215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #47
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

Usually how long does it take to class up for CTR? And on average what is the class size?
Old 08-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #48
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Usually how long does it take to class up for CTR? And on average what is the class size?
Classing up depends on how long it takes you to badge up (get clearance finalized and get INDOC'd for your security badge), as well as how many people are waiting for the class before you get there. It could be anywhere from a month to 3 months. It really just depends on the sailor and when you get there.

I wont discuss specifics about how many people work in the SCIF (students included) but the class size is average. It's enough to where if you need personal help you'll be able to get it.

/r
CTT1
Old 08-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #49
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

Well shit. i thought i would be there a couple weeks at most before class started. What do we do until class starts?
Old 08-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #50
corymaloy

corymaloy is on a distinguished road
Default CTN

I'm hoping to get ctn, but I'm wondering about duty stations. How common is it for a ctn to get Hawaii? I would love to live there again. Also do you know if ctns get to do any programming? I have the majority of a cs degree finished and would like to keep improving my coding skills!
corymaloy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cryptologic, ctm, ctn, ctr, ctt